IT.COM

.mobi M.Mobile.com is the way it's heading

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Binary, You're definitely a reassuring voice for the .mobi community.

•••
you were about due for another :ghost: thread, no worries, it'll work out.

•••
It makes little difference when established companies use m.name.com, name/mobile.com or any of the other permutations. The important thing to watch is new companies taking advantage of the unique markets provided by mobile devices. These start-ups will naturally prefer .mobi to differentiate themselves from the PC internet.

Music.mobi for example.

•••
Not that time of the month again is it Fred? ;)

Pmt.mobi :bingo:

•••
Who needs "naysayers" with friends like you, Fred? :sick:

•••
this isn't a zero sum game.

mobi extension doesn't have to "lose" because companies are going m.whatever.

as atrocious as dotBiz extension is, people are making money, either developing or trading.

there are plenty of opportunities for both extensions.

:ghost:

•••
I agree. The different mobile website versions can happily coexist.

•••
sf2010 said:
this isn't a zero sum game.

mobi extension doesn't have to "lose" because companies are going m.whatever.

as atrocious as dotBiz extension is, people are making money, either developing or trading.

there are plenty of opportunities for both extensions.

:ghost:

I agree.

•••
So this blogger is going to use "m.mobile.mobilemarketingwatch.com" as his mobile url ?

He should consider investing a few dollars and buy a mobi.

•••
arnie said:
Not that time of the month again is it Fred? ;)

Pmt.mobi :bingo:

Ignore them Fred... HRT can be hard to get used to, I hope your hormones settle down soon :D

(My ex suffered less wild swings than you seem to have had recently ;)

Joking aside, this thread has been a pretty sensible one; there is a consensus that dotmobi will have its place whatever happens across the market, using m.site.com etc.. or site.com/mobile etc.. relies on the existence of an existing domain, the beauty of dotmobi is the access it gives to great names at the centre of the new wave of the internet; it'll work anyway, it's just a matter of degrees of success? It could be a strong niche or it could change the way we do the web...
I have also said many times before that the multi-access route makes most sense to business anyway, if you have a $million business you're not going to use m.site instead of site.mobi & site.com/mobile when for the sake of another $few hundred a year you can have all of them..

Just a thought...

•••
Here is your hedge against that. (and I am in no way advocating squatting but..) Think of what might make a good site for type in accidental traffic ................ (the dot is a clue)

•••
m.whatever only works for existing sites. All new companies
and domainers who want to get a great name at a reasonable
cost will opt for .mobi when it comes to the mobile space!

•••
keithmt said:
m.whatever only works for existing sites. All new companies
and domainers who want to get a great name at a reasonable
cost will opt for .mobi when it comes to the mobile space!

Absolutely...that's what I was meaning to add to my post but I forgot. In fact I said so myself in as many words in a post of mine some time ago. My post was not meant to insinuate that .Mobi was obsolete now. Far from it...Mobi is the future. If it wasn't I would not be bidding for some .mobi's at the Sedo auction would I? I meant that it's good that excisting .com's are going mobile in the obvious way by adding the .M
This will stimulate .Mobi growth by companies who dont have a .com and want to have a mobile website but the .com they want is taken already. That was what I meant to convey.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Who cares what they use in the end? Bank of America is promoting BOFA.mobi , along with bankofamerica.com/mobile . As said earlier, it's not a zero sum game. I'm a little surprised to see this coming from you tbh Fred. You were ever so helpful early on helping people find available .mobis...

I think I've said this story 2 or 3 times now, but I guess it needs repeating...

When I first came to the .mobi subforum in Feb 07, almost everyone already invested in the mobi market agreed this was a long term play.

What's changed? Many of you saying mobi would need at least several years to mature are now jumping ship before you've even given mobi the time you first stated it'd need.

Not happy with the aftermarket? Develop them. I really want to re-develop my antioxidants.mobi into something grand someday but don't have time at the moment. It's paid for it's renewal fee while being parked over the last few months, so I really can't complain.

Aside from dotcom, you'll be pretty hard pressed to sell any domain in any extension for anywhere near full market value quickly if it doesn't fall into a few "domainer categories" (LLL, NNN in example).

binaryman said:
More and more companies are going the M.company.com way. Here's another one:
http://www.mobilemarketingwatch.com/730/tmz-goes-mobile/

http://m.tmz.com/

•••
I don't find this very newsworthy or applicable to .MOBI discussion. m.domain.com is the better choice for companies with established domain identities like TMZ.com, especially when the .MOBI version of their trademark is already long gone.

.MOBI domains are more ideal for start-ups or companies that are mobile-only in their focus.

m.domain.com and .mobi will continue to co-exist. There will never be a "winner" so to say.

•••
PVFARKAS said:
Fred's back! :D

From PMT.mobi >>> HRT.mobi
:bingo: :bingo: :bingo:
ROFL

•••
arnie said:
From PMT.mobi >>> HRT.mobi
:bingo: :bingo: :bingo:
ROFL

Watch out Pred, I can feel another mood swing coming your way..... D-:

•••
binaryman said:
Absolutely...that's what I was meaning to add to my post but I forgot. In fact I said so myself in as many words in a post of mine some time ago. My post was not meant to insinuate that .Mobi was obsolete now. Far from it...Mobi is the future. If it wasn't I would not be bidding for some .mobi's at the Sedo auction would I? I meant that it's good that excisting .com's are going mobile in the obvious way by adding the .M
This will stimulate .Mobi growth by companies who dont have a .com and want to have a mobile website but the .com they want is taken already. That was what I meant to convey.

PLEASE READ MY AMENDED VERSION BEFORE COMING TO THE WRONG CONCLUSIONS.

•••
There is no problem with m.whatever.com, but it does point to the fact that there is no standardization.

End user consumers right now don't know if they'll get a mobile site at m.whatever.com, and they don't really know about .mobi yet. To hedge all of your bets, if you have a .com, you can make it an m.whatever.com that redirects to .mobi - that's what namepros does. Give it a try http://m.namepros.com ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back