NameSilo

.net

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

CoolJay

Impact
Are investors still interested in .net domains?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Vaguely "investors" is an oxymoron,
If you are able to sell its considered (+1) SAIL!
FUNFACT: .Net was initially conceived for the networking companies.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I’ve had a few end users buy .net & .org’s when the .com was not within reach.

•••
Hard to sell a .net unless it's a highly desirable key word/term. Don't make the mistake I did in the early days thinking there was a market for every domain

•••
As per the below poll, .net sales are in the second place after .com.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/what-non-com-extensions-have-you-sold-in-2024.1323435/

Though the holding period will be more, volume and price lesser compared to its .Com name.

You can also see some high value sales reported in Namebio, just in the past 3 months.

So, end users prefer .net when they want a particular name but it's .com is not available or selling at a significantly higher value which they are not interested / can't afford.

But if it's only about investors, most investors prefer .com mostly unless the .net name is good enough to hold for a long time.

•••
Are investors still interested in .net domains?
Some are, but there's not as much of a market for them.

Think about it. If you want the best domain for [your brand], what would it be? [your brand].com, obviously.

If you can't get that, what do you do?
  1. Rebrand.
  2. Add a keyword to the SLD.
  3. Get another TLD.
Presuppose someone opts to go for option 3. Then there's still a bunch of competition: .ai, .io, etc. and the chances of you getting it right with he .net are slim.

But even if they want the .net as the second alternative. There's a chance that they didn't get the .com because of budget-constraints. So now you have to price your domain competitively, so they don't decide to go for the .com anyway.

But anyone worth their salt knows that they need the .com. Take gandi.net, they've been around for 25 years and people still think of them as a bush league company.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, no one cares about the silver medalist.

•••
@MKA is spot on.

I'd go further and say that .net long ago was an acceptable 2nd choice, but with all of the other options it's not really that anymore for most companies.

A recent example: I saw that my surname.io recently dropped so I cross-checked other TLDs before registering it and found that surname.net, which has been registered since the 90's -- I'm sure I checked it back then, is for sale for a pretty low cost. I asked my 14 year old whether he'd want to have surname.net or surname.io and he looked at me like I was joking. I don't think he even knew .net was a thing, but he is very aware of .io.

My current view of .net is as if it were a new TLD for networking businesses or for an internal company's LAN use.

•••
Some are, but there's not as much of a market for them.

Think about it. If you want the best domain for [your brand], what would it be? [your brand].com, obviously.

If you can't get that, what do you do?
  1. Rebrand.
  2. Add a keyword to the SLD.
  3. Get another TLD.
Presuppose someone opts to go for option 3. Then there's still a bunch of competition: .ai, .io, etc. and the chances of you getting it right with he .net are slim.

But even if they want the .net as the second alternative. There's a chance that they didn't get the .com because of budget-constraints. So now you have to price your domain competitively, so they don't decide to go for the .com anyway.

But anyone worth their salt knows that they need the .com. Take gandi.net, they've been around for 25 years and people still think of them as a bush league company.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, no one cares about the silver medalist.
Thanks so only .coms is my best bet ?

•••
Thanks so only .coms is my best bet ?
Yes. Because that's really what the clients want.

Sure, you have the occasional .net sales, but it's not really comparable.

Here's the number of the .com sales from last week.

Show attachment 257478

Here's the number of the .net sales from last week.

Show attachment 257477

So at one hand you have over 2,000 sales, on the other less than 100.

All else considered equal (which it really isn't) it will take you 20 times longer to sell a .net. So if it takes you 5 years to sell a .com, you can expect it to take 100 years to sell a .net. This is of course statistic data, but it gives you a rough idea what you're in for as a potential .net investor.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back