Dynadot

DAN.COM Domain Marketplace (Official Thread)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DAN.COM

Domain MarketplaceTop Member
Dan.com Staff
Impact
DAN.COM (formerly known as Undeveloped.com) is on a path to be become the biggest domain marketplace in the world. We use state of the art technology to solve everyday problems buyers and sellers in the domain industry face. At DAN.COM we focus on automating most processes required to buy & sell domains to increase a more efficient and active secondary market for domains.

What sets us apart is our strong focus on product development and customer satisfaction. We leave nothing to chance and every single feature and element we introduce is professionally and carefully designed and built.

DAN.COM is ranked in the top 5 best-rated marketplaces in the world (According to the biggest review platform Trustpilot) and in the domain industry, we're the domain marketplace with the highest rating with an average of 9,4 out of 10 points.

At DAN.COM you will get the highest value for the lowest commission around. Due to our domain transfer automation, we can offer significantly faster handling of domain transactions and payouts (usually within 24 hours) at the lowest fee charged by any domain marketplace.

We've been the first on many fronts and proudly will continue to keep innovating. We were the first to offer optimized for sale pages since 2013, the first to provide payment plans in the form of lease to own and rentals and also the first and only domain marketplace offering free SSL on all domains parked with us for over a year now.

Read more about DAN and our future plans here: https://blog.undeveloped.com/a-big-leap-forward-3a3cc59ed418

This thread is created to act as an informal communication board between the DAN team and the domain community. Feel free to post feedback here and to discuss how you use DAN.

What this thread is not meant for is support. Please contact our support team here: [email protected] when you need assistance.

Previous reviews under old brand: https://www.namepros.com/threads/undeveloped-com-experience.893201/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Damn, I visit this forum quite frequently and never knew about this. Thanks @Future Sensors. I would consider this a MAJOR issue since it is absolutely possible that a potential client would have looked for another option thinking - God knows what is going on with this one ! Because I do use whois privacy so there is no way for the potential buyer to contact me as well.

Question - If I move all my listings to ns.afternic.com, will they also syndicate my names at dan.com ?

•••
Question - If I move all my listings to ns.afternic.com, will they also syndicate my names at dan.com ?
I am pretty sure the answer is no. Dan names can get syndicated to Afternic, but not the reverse. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

•••
I am pretty sure the answer is no. Dan names can get syndicated to Afternic, but not the reverse. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Yes, Dan customer service indicated that Afternic names get syndicated to Dan only if you use the Afternic Dan Landers.

•••
For the most part I've been pleased with selling on Dan, but there is still one facet of their marketplace that I am disliking more and more.

When I first started out there, I used the default $100 minimum but as that just attracted hobos, I increased it considerably to better qualify potential buyers. So far, this new strategy has worked out pretty well.

The problem is, that people who made a bid years ago, can go back to those old threads and keep harassing to sell you the domain for the old min-bid. This has happened to me and it seems to be getting worse, as these guys are not being forced to requalify by bidding the higher minimum amount, yet there is no way for the seller to close off these ancient conversations. Catch-22.

I would ask @DAN.COM how I should proceed with this?

I don't want to have to delete all domains that have old negotiations on them, as that would mean setting up all the authorization TXT records + nameservers again (groan) and like I mentioned, the main problem is that buyer has no ability to close these negotiations that keep getting exhumed from the dead for lowball harassment purposes.

Pop quiz hotshot! What do you do? What do you do?

In a recent example, one guy came back to the table for a 4th time with a "slightly-higher-than-the-previous-three" bid, and because I just wanted to get rid of him, I offered it to him for $100 over his lowball bid... and he refused. WTF?

Jesus H, can I please just close these old negotiations down?

Last edited:
•••
Damn, I visit this forum quite frequently and never knew about this. Thanks @Future Sensors. I would consider this a MAJOR issue since it is absolutely possible that a potential client would have looked for another option thinking - God knows what is going on with this one ! Because I do use whois privacy so there is no way for the potential buyer to contact me as well.

Note also that the convenience of the Afternic Dan lander is nice. The challenges may be that you can no longer have also "make offer," personal descriptions, and LTO.

Also, all my Afternic Dan landers appeared only in lower case. It is unclear if the lack of capitalizations of the individual words of domain names impacts the Dan marketplace search engine.

Finally, it was unclear why the "not secure" message kept showing up on some of these Afternic Dan landers, but that message showed up less on those AN/Dan landers compared to Afternic. So that might be another trade off.

•••
And in case my previous question was too long-winded or obtuse....

I am stating that at Dan some people are using very old negotiation windows (from years ago when you had a lower min-bid) as a backdoor into harassing you over and over with the same lowballs, because they are unwilling to make a new offer at the higher minimum bid amount.

And I am requesting a lock on that backdoor.

Thank you.

@DAN.COM

Last edited:
•••
I am stating that at Dan some people are using very old negotiation windows (from years ago when you had a lower min-bid) as a backdoor into harassing you over and over with the same lowballs, because they are unwilling to make a new offer at the higher minimum bid amount.

And I am requesting a lock on that backdoor.
Absolutely, that would be a helpful option for sellers not inclined to continue to receive such offers.

There may be sellers who are OK with still receiving them, so perhaps Dan could have a button to accommodate the individual seller's preference.

•••
Absolutely, that would be a helpful option for sellers not inclined to continue to receive such offers.

There may be sellers who are OK with still receiving them, so perhaps Dan could have a button to accommodate the individual seller's preference.

But the point is that there are no offers, and these guys are using ancient negotiations as a backdoor to potentially harass the seller.

That's the problem, that Dan allows a negotiation window from years ago to be exhumed by a lowballer without the need to make a new offer that adheres to your current minimum bid. If these "buyers" were making new offers that met the current minimum bid, I wouldn't be here.

For example if 5 years ago when you first set up your account, a buyer on Dan offered you $100 for a 1-word .COM and you refused and due to the resultant BS, you immediately increased your min bid to $2K.

Then yesterday, this same guy crawls out of the woodwork, and because he doesn't want to offer the minimum $2K, instead he uses the 5-year old negotiation window as a backdoor to ask you to sell it to him for $100, and why isn't $100 enough, and you know no one will pay more than $100, etc.

There is no offer in there, and this is the kind of potentially-abusive thing Dan sellers need to have some control over.

Last edited:
•••
But the point is that there are no offers, and these guys are using ancient negotiations as a backdoor to potentially harass the seller.

That's the problem, that Dan allows a negotiation window from years ago to be exhumed by a lawballer without the need to make a new offer that adheres to your current minimum bid. If these "buyers" were making new offers that met the current minimum bid, I wouldn't be here.
Absolutely sounds like a glitch that needs to be fixed. If the current minimum offer isn't being met, why allow this peculiar backdoor exception. Hopefully Dan can fix this soon.

•••
Absolutely sounds like a glitch that needs to be fixed. If the current minimum offer isn't being met, why allow this peculiar backdoor exception.

I assume because the Dan developers never foresaw this type of behavior taking place. But they should have realized that if you leave a backdoor open, someone is eventually going to try and come in.

The only solution right now is to totally delete the afflicted domain and then relist it, thereby losing all your history, including past negotiations. I have been assured by Dan that their system will not trying to "relink up" the old history with the new domain listing.

•••
Well, it looks like @DAN.COM was wrong and after I deleted the domain, the negotiation window remains active and I have options to Reply or to send a Counter Offer. It looks like negotiations are permanent and there is absolutely no way to get rid of them, even for domains that are no longer present on the Dan marketplace.

Great, just great.

Last edited:
•••
Well, it looks like @DAN.COM was wrong and after I deleted the domain, the negotiation window remains active and I have options to Reply or to send a Counter Offer. It looks like negotiations are permanent and there is absolutely no way to get rid of them, even for domains that are no longer present on the Dan marketplace.

Great, just great.
This immediately makes me wonder what would have happened with the negotiation history if another account had re-added your domain. It's possible that the history is still linked to your account, but it doesn't feel right.

Last edited:
•••
I think it would be exactly the same as it is now - an active negotiation window but no way to actually sell the domain.

Another thing, why does only changing your minimum offer in Settings automatically change the minimum offer on ALL domains at Dan, when there is a separate button below that called "Overwrite the ‘minimum offer price’ on all your domains" that supposedly handles that function?

I went through this before with Dan Support and the 'Default Starting Offer' was supposed to add the new min bid amount on newly listed domains, while the 'Overwrite the ‘minimum offer price’ on all your domains' option was supposed to change all your existing domains to the new value.

But now they both do the same thing.

The more I look at the Dan system the crazier things I find.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back