Afternic - Official Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

GoDaddy

Established Member
GoDaddy Staff
Impact
Hello NamePros!
By popular demand, we have launched a dedicated feedback thread for Afternic, the GoDaddy-owned domain name marketplace.

We have created this thread as a way for you to tell us what works, what doesn't work, and what features you'd like to see at Afternic (please be constructive with your feedback). We're looking forward to hearing from the domain investment community to help us shape the future of Afternic.

We will also be sharing Afternic product updates in this thread.

Please note that this thread is not meant for support. Please email our support team at [email protected] for assistance.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@GoDaddy

Prices on the BIN landers are showing commas and periods incorrectly. For example 5.000,00 instead of 5,000.00. Can you please fix this?
Hi @Janoss
How prices are displayed on the BIN lander depends on the location of the visitor, or the location and currency settings that are active on your browser for GoDaddy. To check your browser location for GoDaddy, head to GoDaddy.com and scroll down to the footer.

•••
As a second issue, @GoDaddy, on Afternic, are we allowed to have a strict BIN across the board. In other words, the BIN, floor, and make offer all the same price?
Yes, you can set your BIN, floor, and Make Offer values to the same price at Afternic.

•••
Hi @Janoss
How prices are displayed on the BIN lander depends on the location of the visitor, or the location and currency settings that are active on your browser for GoDaddy. To check your browser location for GoDaddy, head to GoDaddy.com and scroll down to the footer.
Does this also explain the added '00' (cents) part @Janoss mentioned, that I'm not seeing?

Imo, without it, it's cleaner. Always.

•••
Yes, you can set your BIN, floor, and Make Offer values to the same price at Afternic.
So if someone only wants one BIN price, and eliminate any Floor or minimum offer, can you make an interface that allows this.

This would simplify straight BIN listings. And then, for the profile page, have only a BIN column for portfolios that are straight BIN.

Last edited:
•••
@GoDaddy Could we expect LTO availability on Afternic BIN landers in the near future?

•••
CamelCasing is currently being explored. We'll keep the community posted if this gets added to the roadmap.
Last year, you indicated camel casing is being explored. Being able to use caps to distinguish the actual words in a domain may greatly help with SEO, even on GoDaddy's platform. And for some landers, it may be critical to eliminate contextual ambiguity.

Where is or when will camel casing be available on the Afternic/GoDaddy platform.

•••
@GoDaddy Could we expect LTO availability on Afternic BIN landers in the near future?
Last year, you indicated camel casing is being explored. Being able to use caps to distinguish the actual words in a domain may greatly help with SEO, even on GoDaddy's platform. And for some landers, it may be critical to eliminate contextual ambiguity.

Where is or when will camel casing be available on the Afternic/GoDaddy platform.

@GoDaddy It will be a game-changer to have both features available in Afternic. I hope they're arriving soon to BIN Landers.

Last edited:
•••
Hi @Future Sensors
Afternic will be sharing an update within the next couple of months about LTO on Afternic/GoDaddy-branded landers. Of course, we'll share those updates here for you, once they arrive!

Hi @LoveCatchyDomains
CamelCasing will be available this year, likely over the summer! It's popular feedback, and so we're working to give CamelCasing options to sellers.

•••
@GoDaddy, please fix this:

When I sell a domain, Afternic, Fast Transfer, most of the time that domain is moved to another registrar.

Now, if I'm looking under Portfolio / Sold domains, for that particular domain, I can see "Transfer processing" status for days. BUT when I click on that name, I see Transfer complete.

I'll send you a PM with the domain in question and 2 screenshots.

Thanks!

•••
@GoDaddy, please fix this:

When I sell a domain, Afternic, Fast Transfer, most of the time that domain is moved to another registrar.

Now, if I'm looking under Portfolio / Sold domains, for that particular domain, I can see "Transfer processing" status for days. BUT when I click on that name, I see Transfer complete.

I'll send you a PM with the domain in question and 2 screenshots.

Thanks!
Hi @pinkdragon
Thanks for sharing this, your screenshots via DM were helpful. We'll ask the team to look into it.

•••
@GoDaddy

Recently, I have been randomly seeing some of my domains appearing in pending review, even though they are on Afternic nameservers. These are not newly added domains.

•••
Recently, I have been randomly seeing some of my domains appearing in pending review, even though they are on Afternic nameservers. These are not newly added domains.

I started a post like on here and it's more than likely an updated TM check being run on these domains. It might be something else, but that's the most common reason.

I had a pile of my old Afternic domains put in review a few weeks ago.

•••
I started a post like on here and it's more than likely an updated TM check being run on these domains. It might be something else, but that's the most common reason.

I had a pile of my old Afternic domains put in review a few weeks ago.
That could be one reason, but the domains in question are generic, so it's doubtful they would be challenged for trademark violations.

•••
The new Afternic price-change field - where you set your BIN price, etc - has been changed.

The previous one was quick and easy; you click on the little pencil/edit button, set your new price, hit Enter, and it's done instantly.

Now... I can only call the new version 'insane'.

You click on the little pencil/edit button, and a NEW WINDOW pops up, for you to make all your pricing changes - before, we could do all this without a new window. Why add a whole new window for something that had been quick and easy without a new window? That's only a small part of the 'insane'; here's the big one:

When you finish making your price change/s and click the okay button... the new window disappears and you are (hopefully) supposed to go right back to your domain list, where you just (unnecessarily) left. Now, this extra stage of having to use this pop-up window takes some extra time... but the return to your domain list becomes INSANE after you reprice a handful of domains.

You go back to your domain list, and the farther down your list that you are re-pricing domains, the worse it gets. You literally get a blank list. You have to click around the page, in order for the list to kind of reappear. I click in the navigation bar and that makes it kind of appear again.

Then... it takes a while for the list of domains to re-populate!

Then... as it's re-populating... you are nowhere near where you left the list when that pop-up window appeared. So you need to re-navigate and find where you were on your list, after your last re-pricing.

Then... you have to go through the whole process again for re-pricing the next domain!

Every two or three months, I look through my domain list and do a lot of re-pricing. Some domains I price higher, some lower, according to where I think the market is. Things keep changing. I know a lot of domainers re-price their domains often.

Timewise: this new re-pricing process at Afternic takes between 8 and 10 times longer than the previous one. I used to be able to go through my whole domain list, re-price them at Afternic, in around 30 - 40 minutes.

Now it's going to take me between 4 and 5 hours to do the same list that I used to do in just over half an hour!

What kind of insane change makes you take 8 to 10 times the amount of time that the previous easy, quick process used to take?

And what about functionality control: did no one at Afternic say to their IT department, "Once we make this change, somebody go in, re-price a list of a hundred domains or so, and see how long it takes. Let's make sure this is a good change, not a crappy change."

Not one person there did that?

@GoDaddy

It would be so nice if you could look into this. I already have a headache and eye-strain, just finishing re-pricing the first 100 of my domain list... each 100 names usually takes me 8 - 10 minutes, and this time that first 100 names just took me about an hour and a quarter!

I don't even want to start re-pricing my next few hundred domains right now. Hoping you can get your IT people to either correct the really time consuming and clunky system they just rolled out... or if they can't, please change it back to the old pricing fields. The previous ones worked! They were nice and easy and quick! Why change that to something that is now awful!!??

Many domainers have dozens, hundreds, thousands, even tens of thousands of domains listed with Afternic. And most domainers change their prices at least a few times a year. This new system... makes it impossible to do that. It is really slow, clunky, awful. I only have a few hundred domains, and your re-pricing process now makes that very daunting to me, and wastes so much of my time. Other domainers have many more domains than I do, listed with you. I cannot even imagine how they will deal with your new system. Please look into this seriously.

Thank you :)

•••
@Bannen It's very cumbersome indeed. Another thing in the same popup window: if you use tab to go to the next field, all fields are cleared as soon as you arrive at the 'Adjust Buy Now Price' field. So you have to click on each field separately with your mouse. Very annoying and not made with the heavy user in mind.

Last edited:
•••
•••
well the old version didn't really updated half the time for me. I had to search for that domain again right after to see if it really updated. New versions seems to really update for me.

•••
In the last couple days, names I picked up that previous owners had listed on Afternic stay in 'pending review' status although they appear to have been added to my account.

Of course the names were added properly with my secret 'I am who I say I am' nameserver...the same process used to add 1K plus names.

Not important to me at this point as I'm moving away from using Afternic landers (I will still allow/process sales through Afternic, just not happy with recent performance) but I feel sorry for the person that gets the 'broker service' pop up rather than a chance to make an offer.

Again, I'm not stressed about this now, just getting an FYI out there. When the mid/late summer update happens, hopefully the coders have this and other recent bugs above worked out.

•••
Unless I'm missing anything, there is the following new bug:
1) Delete soon-to-expire domain from afternic [GoDaddy-regged in my case, fast transfer enabled]. OK.
2) After the expiry, GoDaddy sends email "your domain was removed from Afternic". OK
3) Domain re-appears @ afternic portfolio with In Review status

Last edited:
•••
In the last couple days, names I picked up that previous owners had listed on Afternic stay in 'pending review' status although they appear to have been added to my account.

Of course the names were added properly with my secret 'I am who I say I am' nameserver...the same process used to add 1K plus names.

Not important to me at this point as I'm moving away from using Afternic landers (I will still allow/process sales through Afternic, just not happy with recent performance) but I feel sorry for the person that gets the 'broker service' pop up rather than a chance to make an offer.

Again, I'm not stressed about this now, just getting an FYI out there. When the mid/late summer update happens, hopefully the coders have this and other recent bugs above worked out.

It's ridiculous that the verification NS is not really used in these cases. It seems so simple. That should resolve these ownership questions promptly and definitively. It does not. Afternic uses it selectively but it could do much better. If only upper management really cared about user experience and marketplace integrity.

I also find that sellers that upload portfolios with names that they no longer own will sometimes push my valid listings into "In Review" status. Sometimes this happens repeatedly with the same name.

•••
I also find that sellers that upload portfolios with names that they no longer own will sometimes push my valid listings into "In Review" status. Sometimes this happens repeatedly with the same name.

This might explain why I had a domain listed with Afternic that went unexpectedly into "In review" with no apparent reason. Afternic fixed it without difficulty.

Agreed that mandatory verihfication would help eliminate these issues.

•••
Domains that are manually removed from Pending Review by Afternic upon request can still end up in the same Pending Review status a week later. It is unclear what exactly is going on.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back