Dynadot

Zero ad-revenue from domain parking (at Sedo and Bodis) - Not Worth It

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

yb1313

Established Member
Impact
I parked my domains with ads on two platform: Sedo and Bodis (through Dan), and (as an act of public service) I want to share the “results”.
I pointed most of my domains to Dan and configured the domain monetization service Bodis (still using Dan's landers but through Bodis which displays ads, one can configure it in the settings), and listed some of my domains on Sedo Parking. I will share the results of the past month, which represent the overall rather laughable experience:
  • On Sedo, where I parked roughly a hundred domains, during the past month the domains had 500 visitors, which overall earned an amount just shy of $1 (RPM - revenue per thousand visitors – was .61c as seen in the screenshot below)
  • With Bodis (using Dan landers), I parked several hundred domains, they got roughly 3000 visits in a month, their ads generated a handful one or two clicks, earning me a revenue of less than $1 - again (screenshot added).
Note that I own a portfolio of decent domains, in fact some have quite a few backlinks and thus regular monthly clicks.

Conclusion: During this period, ad-parking on these two platform generated virtually zero ad revenue, and I also had considerably less inquiries and sales than before. Therefore, I have returned to clean sales landing pages and am putting more effort into making them attractive (considering possibly brandable platforms for a few domains).
img 3 namepros.png

img 4 namepros.png

I did not have much experience with ad-parking prior and so I see this as a good learning experience. I know that others have had similar or sometimes better results but it appears that at this point in most cases ad-parking isn't worth it anymore compared to simple landing-sales pages (or of course a developed site if one is able to do it).
Hopefully, this info will be of assistance to some, and encourage parking services to improve their systems.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Probably not a good idea to post your customer pin number.

My stats, most revenue is from aprox. 20 domains.

1636513025048.png

Last edited:
•••
@mr-x thanks for the note, I updated the image right after uploading.
Your stats look nice for sure, you must have some very strong domains. Well, personally I will rely on selling (or developing) my strong ones, I guess ad-parking isn't right for everyone.

•••
@mr-x thanks for the note, I updated the image right after uploading.
Your stats look nice for sure, you must have some very strong domains. Well, personally I will rely on selling (or developing) my strong ones, I guess ad-parking isn't right for everyone.

We agree. I'm developing my domains also; affordable domains that pay are very hard to find.

•••
I love and hate ad blockers.

•••
i got this domain from 2 months ago he made no revenue yesterday i saw this with 2 clicks only he have some traffic and some backlinks

01.png

•••
•••
Conclusion: During this period, ad-parking on these two platform generated virtually zero ad revenue, and I also had considerably less inquiries and sales than before. Therefore, I have returned to clean sales landing pages and am putting more effort into making them attractive (considering possibly brandable platforms for a few domains).
Hi

one can certainly draw their own conclusions, but often some aspects may be overlooked.

also, everything depends on the actual domains in question, and sometimes how long you "test" the change in platforms.

it is possible that having ads may have affected sales and inquiries,
but it's also possible that you may have already sold the better names from your list...which could account for decreased interest in the rest of them.

Good Luck!

imo...

•••
i got this domain from 2 months ago he made no revenue yesterday i saw this with 2 clicks only he have some traffic and some backlinks
Cool, keep it up!

Good idea.
Yep, I'll submit a couple dozens domains brandbucket/brandpa/squadhaelp and see how it goes. It's annoying having to change the Nameservers all the time but I guess it's part of the game. Also considering creating a stand-along site just for my portfolio which will have more flexibiliy.

Hi

one can certainly draw their own conclusions, but often some aspects may be overlooked.

also, everything depends on the actual domains in question, and sometimes how long you "test" the change in platforms.

it is possible that having ads may have affected sales and inquiries,
but it's also possible that you may have already sold the better names from your list...which could account for decreased interest in the rest of them.

Good Luck!

imo...
Excellent points:)

•••
Thanks for sharing the information, and helping promote realistic expectations regarding parking.

Did any of your domains have a high per click advertising revenue? Also, did any have a high number of exact name searches for two words? I just learned one of my undeveloped domains had advertising revenue up to $9 per click, and about 600 exact google searches for the two words in the .com. Did any of your domains have a high exact search and/or high click revenue? I'm debating whether to sell, park, or develop it.

•••
@LoveCatchyDomains You welcome. I did not check ppc or similar statistics for my domains individually, though some indeed have searches for their two words (the portfolio is public to see). A few have a monthly traffic of about 50 visitors or so, but evidnetly as shown above no ad clicks so no revenue from that. I prefer to focus on simply reselling my domains (and developing a handful of them into useful platform in their respective fieds) - not so much on ads stuff. Your domain's ppc seems to be on the higher end, and google searches do not guarantee actual clicks, but it sounds like you should probably try out ad-parking, I mean if this generates 2-3 figures it would at least cover the cost of the domain(s) so that's cool. You can still list it for sale, on aftermarkets and with a "this domain is for sale" banner", it doesn't have to be instead. Obviously the time spent into all of that should also be taken into account.

•••
Thank you for the thorough response! I've been experimenting as well, and noted on Sedo a very significant decrease in traffic after switching back to ads with my "for sale" listings. And the 2cents that I earned yesterday with over 100 listings only covers the cost of one teabag ! Your plan sounds better, focusing simply on reselling the bulk of the domains and developing a select few.

•••
I parked my domains with ads on two platform: Sedo and Bodis (through Dan), and (as an act of public service) I want to share the “results”.
I pointed most of my domains to Dan and configured the domain monetization service Bodis (still using Dan's landers but through Bodis which displays ads, one can configure it in the settings), and listed some of my domains on Sedo Parking. I will share the results of the past month, which represent the overall rather laughable experience:
  • On Sedo, where I parked roughly a hundred domains, during the past month the domains had 500 visitors, which overall earned an amount just shy of $1 (RPM - revenue per thousand visitors – was .61c as seen in the screenshot below)
  • With Bodis (using Dan landers), I parked several hundred domains, they got roughly 3000 visits in a month, their ads generated a handful one or two clicks, earning me a revenue of less than $1 - again (screenshot added).
Note that I own a portfolio of decent domains, in fact some have quite a few backlinks and thus regular monthly clicks.

Conclusion: During this period, ad-parking on these two platform generated virtually zero ad revenue, and I also had considerably less inquiries and sales than before. Therefore, I have returned to clean sales landing pages and am putting more effort into making them attractive (considering possibly brandable platforms for a few domains).Show attachment 203876

Show attachment 203866

I did not have much experience with ad-parking prior and so I see this as a good learning experience. I know that others have had similar or sometimes better results but it appears that at this point in most cases ad-parking isn't worth it anymore compared to simple landing-sales pages (or of course a developed site if one is able to do it).
Hopefully, this info will be of assistance to some, and encourage parking services to improve their systems.
I wonder why you had such bad results. I have had a more promising result on Sedo. I have just a little over 40 .com domains parked. I have earned $21 in two weeks. Two of my sites are responsible for about 80% of that revenue. Some generate nothing so far (I am analyzing what is working versus what is not). I hope to improve the non-revenue producing sites to perform like the ones that are winning a little. My main goal in parking is to recoup the fees for registering them. My little soldiers as I refer to them all need to earn around $10 each this year (11 more months to go). Whilst I am behind in my goal, I am adjusting daily to try and gain momentum.

I do not think that parking sites is a non-revenue business or a loss per say. From what I have learned and read; it is a bit of work to get something back out of it. I do not know how much real influence I can have directly over the results, but I am not ready to call it a waste of time just yet. :)

I am working on a spreadsheet with all the data and the keywords used and different scenarios to see what happens. I got a couple of backlinks already. I am not very sure this is accurate.

•••
I wonder why you had such bad results. I have had a more promising result on Sedo. I have just a little over 40 .com domains parked. I have earned $21 in two weeks. Two of my sites are responsible for about 80% of that revenue. Some generate nothing so far (I am analyzing what is working versus what is not). I hope to improve the non-revenue producing sites to perform like the ones that are winning a little. My main goal in parking is to recoup the fees for registering them. My little soldiers as I refer to them all need to earn around $10 each this year (11 more months to go). Whilst I am behind in my goal, I am adjusting daily to try and gain momentum.
Dear Fellow Namepros Member:
Any update on your success with the Sedo parking? How did your spreadsheet analysis turn out? Any other things that you tried since the posting?

•••
u should have never used sedo

bodis is best

yer results are unique to u. cause yer domains are unique.

while u make zero I make 200 per month and the dude next to me makes 20k a month.

so really..the only rule of parking is sky is the limit ..proportional to yer parking knowledge.. time spent learning etc...like everything in life we get out what we put in.. no freebies I'm afraid hehe

•••

bodis is best
Well, Tina's comment was that she was successful with Sedo, and it appears that the domains in her signature still are linked to Sedo parking pages. That's why I was interested in seeing if her success has continued with parking revenue.
If you have had great success with Bodis, was it by using it combined with Dan, or using your own landing pages with Bodis directly?

•••
Well, Tina's comment was that she was successful with Sedo, and it appears that the domains in her signature still are linked to Sedo parking pages. That's why I was interested in seeing if her success has continued with parking revenue.
If you have had great success with Bodis, was it by using it combined with Dan, or using your own landing pages with Bodis directly?

well.. if she.says she does.ok on sedo it.means.she isn't on bodis.at.the.same time..my point was sedo is so.bad..that someone.dong.ok on sedo.would do 10x more.ok.on bodis.

•••
well.. if she.says she does.ok on sedo it.means.she isn't on bodis.at.the.same time..my point was sedo is so.bad..that someone.dong.ok on sedo.would do 10x more.ok.on bodis.

Hi

you make statements, which are not true

i have tried domains on basically all ppc platforms, including the defunct one's like (domainsponsor.com and voodoo.com, goldkey.com, parked.com, parkingpanel.com, etc, etc)
and some do better on sedo than bodis and some do better on bodis than sedo and some do better on parking crew or uni, than either of those.
note that some of these i've owned for over a decade!

so, how can you say what another person's name would make elsewhere, when you don't even know what the name is.

just saying....

imo...

•••
i have tried domains on basically all ppc platforms, including the defunct one's like (domainsponsor.com and voodoo.com, goldkey.com, parked.com, parkingpanel.com, etc, etc)
and some do better on sedo than bodis and some do better on bodis than sedo and some do better on parking crew or uni, than either of those.
First, thanks for taking the time to answer all the questions you answer on Namepros and other forums. Your expertise is really appreciated.

Some simple questions:

1) How do you decide whether to switch a domain from one service to the other? How long of a trial do you give on one service, such as Bodis, before trying a different one? Or do you even bother to switch?
2) In terms of the parking lander choices at Sedo, were there specific landers that worked best for you?
3) On Sedo, did you choose the manual related links (where you can choose up to 10 specific relevant terms), or chose the automatic feature.

And congrats on your successes with the parking. It's good to hear that it has worked for you.

•••
1) How do you decide whether to switch a domain from one service to the other? How long of a trial do you give on one service, such as Bodis, before trying a different one? Or do you even bother to switch?
2) In terms of the parking lander choices at Sedo, were there specific landers that worked best for you?
3) On Sedo, did you choose the manual related links (where you can choose up to 10 specific relevant terms), or chose the automatic feature.
Hi

for me, everything starts with sedo,
all acquisitions are listed and pointed there first to get accepted.
then the party starts.

1. it's intuitive sometimes and sometimes done just to shake things up
trial period may be based on volume of uniques, ctr and epc from 30-90 days.
2 automatic ppc
3. automatic

majority of my two words or longer domains are self-explanatory, or they speak for themselves, so i use auto optimize.

imo...

•••
Hi

you make statements, which are not true

note that some of these i've owned for over a decade!

so, how can you say what another person's name would make elsewhere, when you don't even know what the name is.

just saying....

imo...

true or not.. I make statements that 99percent people make and agree with...u wanna be in that 1.percent and send people to sedo then that's for u to sleep with

•••

bodis is best

yer results are unique to u. cause yer domains are unique.

true or not.. I make statements that 99percent people make and agree with...u wanna be in that 1.percent and send people to sedo then that's for u to sleep with
Hi

i doubt that 99% of domainers would tell someone else, that they "should have never used sedo"
then in the breath say "yer results are unique, cause yer domains are unique"

well, if i and some others also have "unique" domains, then shouldn't we take advantage of other platforms that may pay more?

not trying to lead or send anybody, but on the other hand, i'm not trying to deter them either.

also, don't forget, in the big money game, the 1% controls most of it.
just saying....

imo...

•••
Hi

for me, everything starts with sedo,
all acquisitions are listed and pointed there first to get accepted.
then the party starts.
Any ideas as to why your experience has been so successful? Is it possible that, if you are a long-standing customer, there may be extra privileges or promotion given for listings?

•••
Any ideas as to why your experience has been so successful?
Hi
i have posted about some of my experiences with all major ppc platforms, past and present.
(you can view in parking section)

for instance, that wellcare name which is at sedo now, was previously at voodoo.com, until they went defunct:
wellcareinsurance.com 482 visitors 108 clicks 22.410% ctr $3.03 epc $326.84 revenue
those are two years stats from voodoo, so, i not getting any extras or special treatment for the same name at different platforms.

in beginning, most parking services had affiliate plans.
sedo had sedopro, parked.com, domainsponsor, goldkey and some others had such plans as well.
once you were accepted, then you could "refer" other domainers to join the platform and if they earned any income, then you'd get a % of their earnings.

that doesn't exist anymore, but part of the experience comes from the "experience of trial and error" over a lot of years.

in a snapshot,
it may seem like "wow", but it took work to build and still takes some work, to make it work.

imo...

•••
Hi

i doubt that 99% of domainers would tell someone else, that they "should have never used sedo"
then in the breath say "yer results are unique, cause yer domains are unique"

well, if i and some others also have "unique" domains, then shouldn't we take advantage of other platforms that may pay more?

not trying to lead or send anybody, but on the other hand, i'm not trying to deter them either.

also, don't forget, in the big money game, the 1% controls most of it.
just saying....

imo...

I've never met or heard anyone praise sedo. they all put it bottom of list. so maybe i should revise my figure to 99.9%... for u that's good cause now yer ego gets to be in an even more exclusive elite club tire heheheh

•••
Back