Dynadot

opinion You're Underselling Your Domain names

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
It's great that your prospects are happy but please don't think short-term. There are 100s reasons why it might feel uncomfortable to promote "yourself" (*not your domains) but to undersell (panic attack) in order to get something; Wrong move.

Let Domains reach its true value "potential".

Do your due diligence and research each prospect/competitor carefully to be sure the domain name is a good fit for them. Follow & let them GROW bigger, better, stronger = price accordingly. And if there are any issues with your domain/s, you'll be able to learn everything about the 5W.

Do not destroy domain name reputation by posting (Pr0$stituting) on soc. media or s/pam. Promote "yourself - your knowledge".

Seriously!

Regards

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
An investment is made when you know ... the end of the road (Investors maintain “long” positions).
Seller or Broker engages in offering (pushing the sale - "short-term" position).

Regards

I completely agree with your general premise. I hold on to many of my best names on multi-year renewals because I do see them as long-term investments. In the future, after I execute my domain selling strategy, I also hope to build a deep portfolio around my own personal brand as many of the successful domainers here and elsewhere have.

That said, holding a short position on an asset like a domain name and selling it at under retail value is a valid strategy for certain classes of investors. And while you are spot-on that someone who solely focuses on short term positions is not an "investor", someone who focuses on short-term cash flow in order to purchase better names for long term success is an investor. I guess this is the only point I was trying to make.

There are certain classes of domains in the mid XXX to low XXXX retail range that get lost in portfolios and don't generate much buzz without outbounding/wholesaling. For new domainers (especially from developing countries where financial resources are incredibly limited) I believe that it is ok to undersell these names if it means that the money is being used to scale up portfolios and create better opportunities. Of course, spamming worthless names and conducting aggressive discounting is a highly negative practice that hurts everybody. Even people who undersell the potential retail value of their domain should be considerate and smart enough not to engage in unethical behaviors. Auctions are a great option for domains in this range as well as targeted, respectful, and personal marketing.

•••
if it means that the money is being used to

… feed the family, mostly. And that’s why I mentioned; panic or survival mode…. the brain rejects new information, shuts down cognitive abilities and refuses anything long-term.
Domain investing business is an opportunity to make some serious money, improve your ability to grow, … but a key to long-term profitability is making sure that prospect/s can actually use the name. Me, without knowing the “actual”, I have to accept a 99% chance of loss.

Thx @HighPointGuy

Regards

Last edited:
•••
If you undersell once, your marketplace/agent will know it, and assume you are ok with low prices all the time, and will insert itself as a buyer (also as a seller) into a negotiation between you and the actual buyer (depends on who the buyer is, and how deep their pocket is, but of course they won't tell you who that buyer is, in the name of protecting buyer's privacy, but in reality, just to be able to do arbitrage; but such things can be investigated and punished harshly (warning)).

I was selling domains for 4 figures at epik marketplace, but since they decided to hide "buyer" info, there is no sale, because maybe they are doing what I said above (they are doing half of it at least).

Last edited:
•••
I always tend to associate discussions around underselling with the large portfolio holders. There's been quite a few posts of a similar/same topic over the years. And I can't help but associate it with those that fear the general resale market dropping. The scenario being - I (topic starter) hold thousands of domains at my probably quite inflated (to my mind) prices. Therefore, I don't want my potential buyers seeing bargain prices (their valuation) from other sellers , It's undermining my selling strategy..

I don't do the supply of DN beasts (tier 1) in to aftermarket. I keep them off the radar (NS zero), waiting for the prospect to increase customers base & fin in order. Currently, @ aftermarket, there are 120 BIN (tier 2 shiny objects) domains offered as a healthy option but they're not part of the solution ... for let's say - motivated and optimistic prospect looking for something more or less affordable. I'm "selling/offering" (without BIN) the rest of a specialty domains (NS zero) via design & branding agencies with networks & my own network.

Thx for your opinion, @Revisiting !

Regards

Last edited:
•••
I try not to overthink it

I set my price (some are make offer), check every 3, 6 & 12 months on the niche, research comparable domains, sales, funding rounds, news etc and adjust pricing accordingly...

Drop what I don't want, keep those I do......then wait....

I've turned down a couple of xx,xxx offers this year - told them my price, set it up and have left it at that - same for x,xxx offers......and the xxx ones

Offers and enquiries for me mean the quality of the portfolio is pretty decent so it breeds confidence in renewing others that have not had one....yet

I don't have a huge number of domains, sell a few a year but the renewables are more than manageable so make it easier to say no for me personally and easy to keep a track on what's going on without wasting to much time

I know for a fact I have undersold domains in the past, especially when you first start and the first couple of years - the proof of concept mindset is hard to shake off where any sale justifies you are doing something right in spotting domains, the next step for me was/is maximising value........still working on it and probably will be for quite some time....

•••
Go your own way,
Don't care what others say

•••
As an interesting thread. maybe we could start one where we analyse Rons DNJ sales report and give our feedback on just the domains that we think sold way below market value. I know a lot of us must gulp at some of the domains sold. Plus it would make an interesting change from just talking about the top-priced domains.

There is probably only going to be a couple each period - but Even in this weeks report I've seen a couple where I think I would gladly pay the reported selling price - and that would be just to hold for a higher price

•••
As an interesting thread. maybe we could start one where we analyse Rons DNJ sales report and give our feedback on just the domains that we think sold way below market value. I know a lot of us must gulp at some of the domains sold. Plus it would make an interesting change from just talking about the top-priced domains.

There is probably only going to be a couple each period - but Even in this weeks report I've seen a couple where I think I would gladly pay the reported selling price - and that would be just to hold for a higher price

Why not! The thread can go beyond just a few pages. Just create and lead a new thread. 👍

•••
Absolutely terrible advice.

You need to sell your domain names at one point if you want to keep investing and become bigger.
The same is valid with crypto, gold, or any form of investment.

Try to buy low and sell high but you need to realize when is the "high" at the right moment.

If you bought a domain for 100 and sold it for 500 in a short period of time it's already a great success.
Then use the 500 to buy a domain to sell for 1000 or 1500 and so on.

Hoping to buy a domain name for 100 and sell it for 1,000,0000 is just a toxic gambler mentality.

Cash flow is key to success. Educate yourself in basic finance and investing.

•••
Absolutely terrible advice.
Hoping to buy a domain name for 100 and sell it for 1,000,0000 is just a toxic gambler mentality.
Well that's new understanding , As is the rest of your post ;( Please, Please come and add something worthwhile. Look everyone understands the basics. Don't be read and seen as a naïve preacher

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back