Dynadot

You’re Not Going To Believe This One: Buy.com To Change Its Name to Rakuten.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
If you listen really close right now you can hear the sound of keystrokes.... typo generators turning on and domains being registered haha.

Crazy stuff

Blake

•••
LOL. I remember when my affiliate news from LinkShare started showing up as "Rakuten LinkShare;" I couldn't for the life of me understand why any company would weight down a well-established and very successful brand name with a vanity plate. I guess that was just small potatoes to rebranding Buy.com

Frank

•••
Wonder why they didn't rebrand to rtydksfj.com :D

•••
All I can say is: EW! And the new logo is ugly and makes the site look like RakutenBuy.com. Fire the web developer and brand manager!

•••
never went to buy.com, so makes no diff to me

:)

•••
If your the Japanese version of Amazon you can buy buy.com and change the name. They bought it to eventally further their own brand.

•••
....If someone on here said, "I just sold my buy.com to replace it with fjrjrndndnnd.com they would probably have to make a new screen name and pretend it wasn't them upon return. Lol.

What vofkrnfmekodokx.com was taken? I think the .net is still available. :)

•••
lol @ rakutenbuy.com being taken by an obvious domain squatter

rakutenbuy.com Premium $94342.00

•••
No wonder the Japanese economy has been moving like a snail for more than a decade.

:o :bah: :O

•••
[rakuten] 550,000 globally 368,000 Japan
[buy] 135,000 globally 1,300 Japan

..just an observation

•••
even on still days, some folk just piss into the wind !

they should have purchased reshopped/com from me

Last edited:
•••
even on still days, some folk just piss into the wind !

..i think they are smart

they made a mistake when they bought it. now they just realized that globally recognized brand is much better as a primary domain name than any generic (even the best from domainers point of view) keyword..

would you replace your microsoft.com with software.com if you were MS? ..if you are a domainer i bet you would.. and that would be poor decision for your brand in the long run

imho

•••
[rakuten] 550,000 globally 368,000 Japan
[buy] 135,000 globally 1,300 Japan

..just an observation

If they are looking to expand to USA/Europe with Buy.com, would the name Rakuten/Buy.com work as a brand? They should have just left it as Buy.com, IMHO.

•••
If they are looking to expand to USA/Europe with Buy.com, would the name Rakuten/Buy.com work as a brand? They should have just left it as Buy.com, IMHO.

when Google, Amazon, Ebay etc want to expand into any part of the world where they do not yet have a market share they always go with their brand not with any generic names..

the result is they all have global brands instead of a bunch of generic sites..
Rakuten has just decided which is better for them too

•••
I just feel the name does not 'voice' well , most would know how to spell 'buy'

•••
οΌ‚Rakuten, Inc. (ζ₯½ε€©ζ ͺ式会瀾 Rakuten Kabushiki-kaisha?) (JASDAQ: 4755) is a Japanese electronic commerce and internet company based in Tokyo, Japan. Among its numerous online properties, its flagship business-to-business-to-consumer e-commerce site Rakuten Ichiba, is the largest e-commerce site in Japan and among the world’s largest by sales. Its global presence has been reinforced through buying online retailers Buy.com (US), Priceminister (France), Ikeda (now Rakuten Brasil), Tradoria (now Rakuten Deutschland) and Play.com (UK), and investments in Ozon.ru and AHA Life. Whereas other marketplaces may compete directly with sellers, Rakuten sets out to empower merchants deliver "Omotenashi", a Japanese attitude to customer service and hospitality, intended to help sellers create lasting relationships with buyers.οΌ‚

I think they know what they are doing!

•••
"Rakuten, Inc. (ζ₯½ε€©ζ ͺ式会瀾 Rakuten Kabushiki-kaisha?) (JASDAQ: 4755) is a Japanese electronic commerce and internet company based in Tokyo, Japan. Among its numerous online properties, its flagship business-to-business-to-consumer e-commerce site Rakuten Ichiba, is the largest e-commerce site in Japan and among the world’s largest by sales. Its global presence has been reinforced through buying online retailers Buy.com (US), Priceminister (France), Ikeda (now Rakuten Brasil), Tradoria (now Rakuten Deutschland) and Play.com (UK), and investments in Ozon.ru and AHA Life. Whereas other marketplaces may compete directly with sellers, Rakuten sets out to empower merchants deliver "Omotenashi", a Japanese attitude to customer service and hospitality, intended to help sellers create lasting relationships with buyers."

I think they know what they are doing!

couldn't agree more. the Play.com one is probably not a great example right now, but the rest is spot on

•••
probably the best illustration for domainers attitude when it comes to branding vs EMD is DomainNameSales.com - a great service with top industry people behind it and all..

but still no brand, no identity - i'm not saying the domain is bad, it surely supplies a lot of type-ins and searches, ranks high etc.. good - redirect the traffic, put a landing page on it, whatever.. and get yourself a brand - any good 4L/5L/6L would be better for separating from the crowd of "domain sales" domains than ugly longtail monster like that..

was it "Domain Name Sale(s)" or "Domains Name Sale(s)" or "Domain Names Sale(s)" where i parked my names last Friday?.. oh well, lets search it up on Google.. wow here's "Domain Name Selling" too, who the hell am i dealing with after all, is it a real company "Domain Name Sales Inc." or what? do they want me to type in 15 letter + .com every time i want to check my CPC? ..bookmarking is so boring thing from the past..

sending my respects to Sedo, Aftermarket, Bodis, Voodoo and Rakuten - i will never have a problem remembering their names/urls :)

..seems i went off topic here but i just hate "domainnamesales.com" domain as much as i like the service

•••
Even global businesses can be blinkered and believe everyone will see and feel the same about their brand as they do. They have money though so anything is possible.

Last edited:
•••
I does seem a strange decision, but as has already been mentioned one global brand seems to work for many and if they still use buy.com to direct traffic to them, then who knows,,in a few years it may be a masterstroke

•••
LOL. I remember when my affiliate news from LinkShare started showing up as "Rakuten LinkShare;" I couldn't for the life of me understand why any company would weight down a well-established and very successful brand name with a vanity plate.

Rakuten bought Linkshare

when Google, Amazon, Ebay etc want to expand into any part of the world where they do not yet have a market share they always go with their brand not with any generic names..

the result is they all have global brands instead of a bunch of generic sites..
Rakuten has just decided which is better for them too

:bingo:

Brands are big. But agreed - it will take some getting used to for English-speaking customers who aren't familiar with Rakuten.

Last edited:
•••
I bought from buy.com before. Excellent service with fast shipping and simple to remember. But Amazon is SOOOO much better lol.

It's a gamble. We'll see....could do well in the long term but I won't buy from Rakuten or whatever. No trust in that name.

•••
Why give up such a premium domain name? wow.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back