IT.COM

question Your opinion about the META trend and what it means for domaining and the internet. Comment and vote

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Your opinion about the META trend and what it means for domaining and the internet. Comment and vote

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • It’s just another trend that will go away as many others

votes
    16.7%
  • This is more than a trend. It’s the beginning of something big, just as the birth of the internet

votes
    62.5%
  • It’s the most amazing trend I have ever seen.

votes
    16.7%
  • I am buying META names and have great hopes

votes
    33.3%
  • Nah, it’s just another waste of money. I’m out…

votes
    8.3%
  • Someone is manipulating the domain market

votes
    12.5%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

What do you think about all those “meta” names that are selling nowadays, especially the ones selling for a lot of money just days or weeks after registration? You can select as many responses as you like.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Only Metaverse.com has value imho, all the other domains only exist within the Metaverse

•••
I could see good meta+word.com and similar having value long term.

I am highly skeptical of recently registered marginal meta+whatever selling for tens of thousands in extensions like .NET, when not even top quality keywords sell for that range. I am calling shenanigans. :)

At this point it seems like buying lottery tickets more than investing.

How many "Internet of Things" domains have ever sold?

Even if "meta" takes off, it is not like every random domain is going to have value. There is literally an endless supply of marginal terms in marginal extensions.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Remember how high hyped AI was when it started? We still have AI companies but 10 years later it's still only so useful. I think Metaverse has a future but not to the level we are hyping.

•••
Remember how high hyped AI was when it started? We still have AI companies but 10 years later it's still only so useful. I think Metaverse has a future but not to the level we are hyping.

Yep, I agree. Plus if it takes off not every company is going to be called "meta" something just like every company now is not called "internet" something. At some point it becomes redundant.

Brad

•••
'Buy the rumor, sell the news', can be a trading strategy as well.

•••
Like NFT ...a handful will sell and do very well. The others, not so much

The companies making serious inroads with virtual technology or doing things on a high level / going "beyond" (the very meaning of Meta) are investing in great Meta names. If you've got an average Meta name, your odds are shaky, as the business buying it isn't as well positioned. Common sense, but people remain hopeful (and that's fine)

Last edited:
•••
I think if the internet and the way we connect becomes something grander than it's current incarnation, accessed and experienced through a different form than the current traditional domain name system, I can see the "meta" keyword trend continuing to sell as do domains with "internet" in them; although reported sales are still common, but not once have I ever visited or used a site with that keyword.

The initial rewards on these meta keyword domains will be because of the frenzy, but eventually people will still be meta, without having to break-up wording or specify it within the domain. Much the same as it is today, short, descriptive domains, minus the "meta" or the "internet".

If the metaverse becomes a new internet, a different internet, for me looking towards domains that will embrace and use that space is probably the better long-term investing solution.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back