IT.COM

question You see a domain name - What's the first thing you do?

NameSilo
Watch

DanBingham

Top Member
Impact
Ok, so you find a domain - what's the first thing you do?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
how did I end up finding that domain? was it actively searched for?.. if yes, then I'd regged it.

There is something mysterious in your answer. Do you mean you search the domain in Google keyword tool ?

Or could it be that you have a secret weapon to count how many people visited the domain website or the whois record or else ?

•••
I do the same as others. whois record and google search.

•••
There is something mysterious in your answer. Do you mean you search the domain in Google keyword tool ?

Or could it be that you have a secret weapon to count how many people visited the domain website or the whois record or else ?

Nothing mysterious in my answer , most probably I didn't explain it well.

By 'actively searched for' I meant searched by me. Was I searching for domains and found one that I liked or was it an accidental finding?

•••
Estibot
jk

This is something I would have done in the early days, but not anymore. Its interesting that you are the only person who has mentioned this so far.

•••
When I find a domain name that I am not to sure about the first thing I do is check the trademark database.

•••
Mainly find the end users for it and the number of words it contains

•••
Google its keywords to have an estimate of number of end users

•••
check the domain value and to whom i can sell the domain

•••
TM search
gauge profit potential if developed
check other tld status

•••
1. Trademarkia
2. NameBio
3. Sedo

•••
•••
•••
Visit it. If it's registered, WHOIS info. If not, I contemplate buying it and 90% of the time don't buy it.

•••
Look at it again after you've slept, it might look good at first but write it and look at it, if it looks ugly the next day you saved yourself some money. :)

•••
Google to see the statistics
Whois to check the owner, and details, and also owners of other extensions
Check value using Estibot
Use Namebio to check similar domain prices

•••
contact the owner and as its price

•••
it is depend on your choice and what you want from the domain name

•••
•••
put it in notepad ... wait a few more days then decide if i wanna reg it or not. I learned that regging every name u can think of is a bad habit ... what do u call it, pulse regging? ... somehow i think i dont have it anymore . cheers

I completely disagree with this.

If you wait too long and the domain name gets snatched up while your dilly dallying around. Then it's worse then not acting on impulse. First you should develop the skill to reg names. If you don't have that take 15 mins on the domain do some Recon, Google it, Look at other simailar names that have sold. I thinking 15 mins is enough time to figure out if you want to pull the trigger or not on a hand reg.

•••

If you wait too long and the domain name gets snatched up while your dilly dallying around. Then it's worse then not acting on impulse. First you should develop the skill to reg names. If you don't have that take 15 mins on the domain do some Recon, Google it, Look at other simailar names that have sold. I thinking 15 mins is enough time to figure out if you want to pull the trigger or not on a hand reg.

I suppose this is down to inexperience that many new domainers fall into.

•••
What I can recommend for people who can't make a decision is. Check Google look at namebio for similar sales check to see if other similar names maybe developed. Maybe check to see if any other extentions are taken.Ask your self if the domain sounds right. Ask your self do u think a company would call it self this name. You can make a decision under 10 mins with this method. Also don't forget to check for trademarks.

Last edited:
•••

:xf.grin:

I was talking from a newbie perspective , inexperienced ones ... sorry, should hv said that

even without 'pulse regging', i still make mistakes ... but the rates are way lower

Last edited:
•••
Think, can it make atleast more than the investment of an year? by any means parking, development or sale.

•••
I will consider some points below:
EMD, Extension,...
Brandable
Shorter is better
Check its history, traffic,...
IMO

•••
if I find a domain
I reg it

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back