IT.COM

You need to know why this domain is still available for you to reg. Really.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

twiki

Top Member
Impact
Now this is rather simple, but I feel I need to restate the obvious after reading many posts here (e.g. appraisals) and questions I am constantly being asked.

There are more possible reasons for that domain being still available, like for example:

- This is a new trend and domains are still available - and is it, really? Are you 100% sure it will sell sometimes soon OR you might be just blindly throwing money at something in hope of a lucky strike?

- This is a fresh new TLD and domains are still available - Important note, if it costs $499 to renew, there's your reason. (and also the reason you might not sell any of them...)

- You have scoured 5 million names and found 5 that are acceptable - good for you!

- This domain has just expired/dropped and it's still up for the grabs (note, if DropCatch etc. hasn't gotten it yet, and/or it is still available 30 minutes AFTER it dropped, it might still fall in the next category...)

- These domains are utter c**p, so nobody wants them.

The vast majority of available domains, especially .COMs, fall in this last category above. The vast majority of domains being hand regged, especially .COMs, also fall in this last category above.

To give you some context. 99%+ my portfolio domains are regs. Either drops, or fresh handregs. Yes I make good profit from regs of both types. Having good sales and a great growth curve.

So you just found a domain and now you want to reg it. Are you sure you know exactly which of the above reasons apply to the domain? If not, just stop now.

After you reg it, will you head on to appraisals section and ask others how much it is worth? If so, chances are you should not have it registered in the first place, I'm afraid. No, barely making $50 out of it is not going to help - overall you will lose a ton of money across many other domains that will go unsold and expire.

Also, you need an edge.

You need to be better than many others at something, namely identifying, registering and properly valuating a certain type of regs at least, if you're ever going to make money from it.

If you feel like you're born for this (I do) then good! You might be upon something next. If instead, you feel always afraid and unsure what comes next, well, your guts might be telling you what comes next. It's quite easy to figure this out: If you still have many unknowns with your domains, then those unknowns will come back to bite you. And very financially unpleasantly so.

I can't fathom still why people can't really figure out such a simple thing by themselves:

There's no throw of the dice in domaining. You need experience, funds and be better at something than others. It's not a get rich fast thing. The profit is in the numbers, (edit: a specific margin that is usually not that high as you'd expect) and you need to roll a significantly larger and good portfolio to make money consistently.

Remember, 95% of those that get in domaining give up in an year or two, at a loss. Don't be one of these guys.

Side note: I see so many useless domains regged by other domainers, including here in appraisals and on the "Your reg of the day" thread that I get nauseous. (Edit: I do so cause I feel bad for these guys wasting their hard earned money. It makes me feel bad cause I've been there in the past.)

Also, if you're in for something harder, join the Facebook groups for domainers. Be warned though, you might get a headache from the waste of money you're going to see posted there.

So good luck regging, and remember this advice above. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Now this is rather simple, but I feel I need to restate the obvious after reading many posts here (e.g. appraisals) and questions I am constantly being asked.

There are more possible reasons for that domain being still available, like for example:

- This is a new trend and domains are still available - and is it, really? Are you 100% sure it will sell sometimes soon OR you might be just blindly throwing money at something in hope of a lucky strike?

- This is a fresh new TLD and domains are still available - Important note, if it costs $499 to renew, there's your reason. (and also the reason you might not sell any of them...)

- You have scoured 5 million names and found 5 that are acceptable - good for you!

- This domain has just expired/dropped and it's still up for the grabs (note, if DropCatch etc. hasn't gotten it yet, and/or it is still available 30 minutes AFTER it dropped, it might still fall in the next category...)

The vast majority of available domains, especially .COMs, fall in this last category above. The vast majority of domains being hand regged, especially .COMs, also fall in this last category above.

To give you some context. 99%+ my portfolio domains are regs. Either drops, or fresh handregs. Yes I make good profit from regs of both types. Having good sales and a great growth curve.

So you just found a domain and now you want to reg it. Are you sure you know exactly which of the above reasons apply to the domain? If not, just stop now.

After you reg it, will you head on to appraisals section and ask others how much it is worth? If so, chances are you should not have it registered in the first place, I'm afraid. No, barely making $50 out of it is not going to help - overall you will lose a ton of money across many other domains that will go unsold and expire.

Also, you need an edge.

You need to be better than many others at something, namely identifying, registering and properly valuating a certain type of regs at least, if you're ever going to make money from it.

If you feel like you're born for this (I do) then good! You might be upon something next. If instead, you feel always afraid and unsure what comes next, well, your guts might be telling you what comes next. It's quite easy to figure this out: If you still have many unknowns with your domains, then those unknowns will come back to bite you. And very financially unpleasantly so.

I can't fathom still why people can't really figure out such a simple thing by themselves:

There's no throw of the dice in domaining. You need experience, funds and be better at something than others. It's not a get rich fast thing. The profit is in the numbers, (edit: a specific margin that is usually not that high as you'd expect) and you need to roll a significantly larger and good portfolio to make money consistently.

Remember, 95% of those that get in domaining give up in an year or two, at a loss. Don't be one of these guys.

Side note: I see so many useless domains regged by other domainers, including here in appraisals and on the "Your reg of the day" thread that I get nauseous. (Edit: I do so cause I feel bad for these guys wasting their hard earned money. It makes me feel bad cause I've been there in the past.)

Also, if you're in for something harder, join the Facebook groups for domainers. Be warned though, you might get a headache from the waste of money you're going to see posted there.

Remarkably articulate, USEFUL lesson. Sincere thanks.

•••

Also, you need an edge.

can you recommend FB groups for domainers, because I have looked at they all look like they are just selling domains

•••
what do you mean of this :
To give you some context. 99%+ my portfolio domains are regs. Either drops, or fresh handregs.

do you mean, all of your domains bought from aution/boght from people?
not from drop domains/expired domains?

thank you

•••
what do you mean of this :
To give you some context. 99%+ my portfolio domains are regs. Either drops, or fresh handregs.

do you mean, all of your domains bought from aution/boght from people?
not from drop domains/expired domains?

thank you

I believe the article is pretty clear, albeit not directly. But since it's not clear for you, maybe for others as well, I'm happy to explain further.

Note, this is not about my domains. I have all kind of differently sourced domains, drops, buys, closeuts and of course hand regs. This is about the caveats of handregs and is aimed at beginners mostly, since beginners usually burn their good money with bad handregs for nothing.

Now some context.

There is nothing inherently wrong with doing only regs.

I also do regs from time to time, and with good success in general. For example I jumped in the meta bandwagon and sold several. I also jumped late in the nft bandwagon and sold none so far; it was a risk of course but a calculated one so overall I'm still in profit. Trend regs carry some degree of risk depending on the quality of the reg.

Hand regs are great if done right. Cheap, and can be sold for good $. In fact, all domains start first of all as hand regs, so there you go. If you're good at hand regs, by all means, please continue.

But the problem is, most beginners can't tell the difference between a good domain and a bad one.

Instead of focusing on pre-owned domains, they try to handreg everything they can and they burn their money for nothing. That's the article focusing on: Ask yourself why this is free, and if you can't find a good answer, chances are you're regging some junk right now.

As a beginner, it is best to focus on .coms and especially pre-owned domains (either drops, closeuts, auctioned or buys). Drops are okay if selected with great care. Anyway I listened to this advice from more experienced domainers when I started years ago and it made the difference for me.

Drops are different, because drops are pre-owned domains. Still regs, but different. At least one other pair of eyes already saw enough value in them to pay the money. It doesn't guarantee it is not junk, but it has a better chance to be a good domain.

Separate tip, there is also a test you can do with drops that helps learning.

If there are a few regs that just dropped, and you like them - but you're not 100% sure. Then don't reg them, simply give up on some, and wait 24 hours. The ones that are still available tomorrow for hand regging, there is a good chance they are all crap.

You can use this test to finetune your regging selection. Why doing this? most good drops are gone within 2-3 hours or so from the moment they dropped, and best ones are usually caught instantly by Dropcatch or similar drop auction sites.

Last edited:
•••
I believe the article is pretty clear, albeit not directly. But since it's not clear for you, maybe for others as well, I'm happy to explain further.

Note, this is not about my domains. I have all kind of differently sourced domains, drops, buys, closeuts and of course hand regs. This is about the caveats of handregs and is aimed at beginners mostly, since beginners usually burn their good money with bad handregs for nothing.

Now some context.

There is nothing inherently wrong with doing only regs.

I also do regs from time to time, and with good success in general. For example I jumped in the meta bandwagon and sold several. I also jumped late in the nft bandwagon and sold none so far; it was a risk of course but a calculated one so overall I'm still in profit. Trend regs carry some degree of risk depending on the quality of the reg.

Hand regs are great if done right. Cheap, and can be sold for good $. In fact, all domains start first of all as hand regs, so there you go. If you're good at hand regs, by all means, please continue.

But the problem is, most beginners can't tell the difference between a good domain and a bad one.

Instead of focusing on pre-owned domains, they try to handreg everything they can and they burn their money for nothing. That's the article focusing on: Ask yourself why this is free, and if you can't find a good answer, chances are you're regging some junk right now.

As a beginner, it is best to focus on .coms and especially pre-owned domains (either drops, closeuts, auctioned or buys). Drops are okay if selected with great care. Anyway I listened to this advice from more experienced domainers when I started years ago and it made the difference for me.

Drops are different, because drops are pre-owned domains. Still regs, but different. At least one other pair of eyes already saw enough value in them to pay the money. It doesn't guarantee it is not junk, but it has a better chance to be a good domain.

Separate tip, there is also a test you can do with drops that helps learning.

If there are a few regs that just dropped, and you like them - but you're not 100% sure. Then don't reg them, simply give up on some, and wait 24 hours. The ones that are still available tomorrow for hand regging, there is a good chance they are all crap.

You can use this test to finetune your regging selection. Why doing this? most good drops are gone within 2-3 hours or so from the moment they dropped, and best ones are usually caught instantly by Dropcatch or similar drop auction sites.
thank you...
you,re one of the best in this forum

all of your shared are Good & helpfull for me

•••
Very good article. I have learnt a lot.

Many thanks @twiki

•••
hand regged metavyrs.com
still hoping, to sell it one day for a mill

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Last edited:
•••
hand regged metavyrs.com
still hoping, to sell it one day for a mill

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

That is one of the wyrs meta names out there ;)

Kidding. It might be an ok brandable and realistically can sell for xxxx before the hype is over and people realize that the actual meta companies won't have meta in their names ) Heck, it can even sell for 1 mill, but with the chance of 0.0000001%

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back