IT.COM

Yet Another Scam (YAS) or is it

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
PLEASE REPLY TO: Has been Removed. Not sure if I should reveal or if I could.

My name is SENATOR JOHN AZUTA MBATA, the chairman of the
FINANCE AND APPROPRIATION COMMITTEE in the National Assembly
of the Federal Republic Of Nigeria. I am writing you to
earnestly Solicit for your assistance in helping to receive
some sum of money into your account for safe keeping. I got
your e-mail address through an internet marketing firm while
searching for a reliable and reputable person to handle this
transaction.
THE PROPOSITION:
We have the sum of US$29,000,000.00 (Twenty-Nine Million
Dollars) that we intend to transfer overseas through the
assistance of a foreign partner.This money came as a result
of Over provision in the budget for unclaimed pension and
accident insurance. This over provision was done by my
committee, but all payments have been made to beneficiaries
leaving behind the over budgeted amount which amounts to
US$US$29,000,000.00 which is deposited in the Nigeria
Deposit Bank here in Nigeria.
I have agreed to transfer the funds overseas for my campaign
funding and other investment purposes, private use and for
investment purposes with your help. I am contacting you
therefore, to stand in as the beneficiary to process this
fund into your custody. As soon as you consent to this I
will immediately send you title documents to the fund in
your name so you can make claim for it.
I will provide you with 30% for assisting us and 10% to be
set aside for reimbursement,for expenses that may arise
during the process of concluding the
transaction. The fund shall be transferred to you legally in
accordance to all laid down procedures governing transfer of
funds.
I have perfected all modalities for the successful transfer
of this money to you as the beneficiary.
Finally, I have to reassure you that this transaction is
100% risk free and should be kept absolutely confidential.
Presently, you can reach me by return mail, you should also
include your telephone numbers if any, for secured
communication between us
Please send a mail to my mail box to indicate your interest
to enable us proceed.
Thank you for your anticipated cooperation.I await your
response.
Also Note that we need to conclude this transaction before
the end of next month as we can still make payments on last
years budget till this time.
Best Regards
SENATOR JOHN AZUTA MBATA

What do you think about this one. I'm gonna reply see what they say. Of course, I just gonna ask them some foolishness.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Of course, I just never got one from a senator before :D

Oh my when will they stop.

You can never even take this serious I know a lot people not even old enough to ahve a bank account or deal with such matters getting these stuff. The thing is they say someone referred them.

:D

•••
lol, senator schmenator! I get them from deposed world leaders!

still a scam though :(

anywho.. it really pretty much seems the same.. though I didn't get past the first 2 or 3 sentences.

•••
Hi Dexnell :)

This is definitely a scam as I have come across an individual on Yahoo Messenger who was soliciting basically the same message to me and he claimed to be from Nigeria as well. This is a very common scam.

More information can be found about this scam at the Internet Fraud Complaint Center which is a division of the FBI at http://www1.ifccfbi.gov/strategy/nls.asp#Nigerian Letter Scams

•••
i got cuaght up in a scam once... it was a pretty interesting thing though.

I had my resume on Monster.com and got an email one day from a company looking for an offiste overseas planner.
I sent them some information (nothing pertinant like my ssn) and then he sent me an email saying that they will pay up front, having a company that owes them money send me a check, that I cash and would then forward the rest of the money to my "new employer".

the obvious bells and whistles went off, but out of greed and hope.. I decided to verify the check and companies involved before taking a first step. I called the company that the bank the check was drawn on to verify funds, and yes..they full $30K was there indeed.. however.. the check number did not match up to what they had on their records (im being breif in this area intentionally, lest any of the scammers that ghost the web attempt to do the same).. so I called the company that "wrote the check", so to speak.

They were very happy to know of this, and I mailed them the fake bank check with all documents and emails forwarded to them with headers... (was hoping they could find a finger print since the guy was easily trackable, moron).

hmm... now that I think of it.. I never did even get a thank you email.. or phone call..nothing from them...

on second thought... try to scam the scammer.. it pays much better than my route :(

•••
Hehe...scamming the scammer...a true classic.

I've seen a few people who have gotten ~ $100 USD a piece from these guys...

One guy asked for an $80 clearance fee to be sent...the guy actually sent him 4 new crisp $20's!!!

www.419eater.com - hilarious site about how they scam the scammers...I'll probably try this next time I get an email. (note: not recommended, very hard to pull off I'm assuming, could even get life threatening)

•••
It's a scam. I've got tons of e-mails from Nigerian embassadors, to the Nigerian President's 'wife' asking me to free up their funds in North America.

I don't get how this benefits them, us, or anyone for that matter.

Just weird!

True_Snake

•••
True_Snake said:
It's a scam. I've got tons of e-mails from Nigerian embassadors, to the Nigerian President's 'wife' asking me to free up their funds in North America.

I don't get how this benefits them, us, or anyone for that matter.

Just weird!

They probably benefit by obtaining your personal information and bank information for the transfer which would enable them to then gain access to your accounts. Or they could just be looking for victims that will handle their stolen money so it's harder to pinpoint them down by the authorities. The victim would be unknowingly the culprit of the scam since they've got all the money in their name and account. They've probably got a bunch of stolen credit card numbers, etc that they plan on sending the money to the "victim's account" so that it appears as if that victim is doing the scamming, when in reality the scam artist is really trying to be in disguise behind that individual's account.

It's a very common scam that I've received several times in my Yahoo Mail account as well as came across a moron on Yahoo Messenger once who tried to get me to agree to it. There's several variables of the scam, such as different names, amounts, and reasons however they are all on the same wave.

Last edited:
•••
I've been doing a little research on the Nigerian scam and came across a nice article on About.com that sums up perfectly our questions on what they gain, benefit, etc and thought I'd share it. :tu:

http://freebies.about.com/library/weekly/aa110302a.htm

So what is the Nigerian scam and what do the scammers hope to gain?

The Nigerian scam or 419 scam (419 is the Nigerian legal code that outlaws the scam) as it is often called has been around from long before the prevalence of Internet access. The scam letters were formerly sent by postal mail or fax, but as Internet spammers have learned, email costs almost nothing to send in bulk. The Nigerian scam has one or more of the following goals:

Bilking: Once a scammer has the victim interested, they will start asking for cash to cover various fees supposedly needed to acquire the millions of dollars. Many people have shelled out thousands of dollars before realizing something was amiss.

Extortion: The scammers will attempt to get the victim to travel to Nigeria and will often convince them that they don't need a visa. The scammers will bribe customs officials and get the victim into the country illegally. When the victim tries to leave, the scammers will ask for large sums of money to get them out without legal problems.

Ransom: The Nigerian scammers may kidnap and hold the victim for ransom.

•••
I have also heard reports of identity theft - so never give your details to anybody!

•••
i got one from senator kerry..... wow i feel so special ;)

*scarily its probably actually real* :D

•••
This Nigerian email scam has gone on way too long and a few of the crooks got busted last week from what I read on the online news. About time.

•••
ChrisVirtue said:
I've been doing a little research on the Nigerian scam and came across a nice article on About.com that sums up perfectly our questions on what they gain, benefit, etc and thought I'd share it. :tu:

http://freebies.about.com/library/weekly/aa110302a.htm

Hey ChrisVirtue, thanks for shedding some light on this subject!

It makes a bit more sense now as to what their motive is.

Thanks,

True_Snake

•••
This is a seriosu thing man. This can put you in a lot of trouble. Their probably get a lot of profit as their are a lot of greedy people out there.

•••
remember the old adage: You cant con an honest man...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back