IT.COM

discuss XR domains - Umbrella term for AR VR MR (all reality technologies)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Elad n

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
XR can be X Reality or Extended Reality.

Either way it describes the spectrum just like mixed reality.

Been looking around and shopping for a while now, saw many companies choosing to rebrand to xr or just starting with xr in their names..

Those are only some of my findings that are already developed (there are many more undeveloped by major companies like unity/sony etc..)

Decide for yourself.

Gl.

E

xr-room.com

xrgames.io

hyperspacexr.com

innereyexr.com

biomexr.com

inspacexr.com

HumanXR.com

agencyxr.com

ascentxr.com

womenxr.com

conductxr.com

Xiality.com

FeelXRstudio.com

ShowroomXR.com

FitXR.com

XRconnects.com

orchardxr.com

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
XR = AR, VR, MR, HR, TR and whatever other R you can think of. It's not a separate industry from the other realities.

:banghead:

•••
It's not a separate industry from the other realities but i think what is important isn't developers and the tech community being prepared for XR but the general consumer (especially outside of the tech space) are the ones that have to be prepared so this terms can be well adopted to the market and they aren't.

Most consumers don't have the slight ideia what is MR, HR, TR and XR the only ones that have some adaptation in the general market is VR and AR and that's mostly because big companies have spended bilions to educate the consumer, so for XR to be in the same situation big companies have to spend those same amounts of money in educating the market.

But as far realities terms go XR as been very well received in such a short time so the potential is there.

•••
It's not a separate industry from the other realities but i think what is important isn't developers and the tech community being prepared for XR but the general consumer (especially outside of the tech space) are the ones that have to be prepared so this terms can be well adopted to the market and they aren't.

Most consumers don't have the slight ideia what is MR, HR, TR and XR the only ones that have some adaptation in the general market is VR and AR and that's mostly because big companies have spended bilions to educate the consumer, so for XR to be in the same situation big companies have to spend those same amounts of money in educating the market.

But as far realities terms go XR as been very well received in such a short time so the potential is there.

The thing you need to remember though is it's probably not going to be consumers who end up buying these domains.

It's a branding opportunity for companies.

Lots of companies are starting to become familiar with the tech industry using the XR acronym to refer to these realities.

And that is a pretty big deal.

Been a few examples of companies who previously were branded just VR, adopting the XR acronym.

Last edited:
•••
"Most investors are still on the fence for the XR industrie."

I was mentioning endusers being on the fence, because you still don't see endusers paying $x,xxx prices for XR domain names at least you don't see publicly may be some privately IMO. I know you sold xrstories.com to one enduser (they are using it as a redirect and not their brand name) for $x,xxx but besides that one and may be some LLLLL .com don't see much more.

In auction we are still far early to see them reach those prices especially on namepros they won't get pass $xx on a good day.

XR names do get caught on the drops most by other domainers but don't think they go for *10 their price and especially on a daily basis, the market isn't there yet still have some good years to go.

I agree with you the yearly renewal is bit high but for only XR.app it might pay off, you did reg Extended Reality so you probably did see some value in .app to pay those renewals the difference might be in the reg price XR had one of high $xxx where Extended Reality probably had one of low $xx.

I personally don't think .app will be that good of an extension but when i saw xr.app got to say it got my attention but for a price of high $xxx never would reg it especially for a new extension that i think won't have that bright of a future.

I think when it comes to XR i will stick with .com
The premium on XR.app would be worth it if the renewal was a regular renewal fee. .club does this. You pay the premium for initial registration and have regular renewal for the rest of the domains life. I like their concept.
But, I do not have faith in .app. I have about 5 registered (total), and won't lose any sleep dropping any of them if .app fails.

•••
Why do people (including here) keep talking about XR as if it's a separate industry lol...

Of course people are ready for the XR industry. They've been ready for 4 years now.

How can people be ready for XR when people aren’t yet ready for VR/AR and these markets aren’t yet fully established?

XR is a term that’s trying to incorporate many industries together under one umbrella that are still in their infancy and future uncertain, if just 1 of these industries fails XR as a term fails, if/when VR/AR merges will people call devices that do both ‘XR glasses’ or VR still? I’m betting just VR, i believe it will just be a natural evolution of VR that doesn’t warrant a name change.

Obviously people have different opinions, but my opinions on XR is you can’t run before you can walk and that’s exactly what XR is trying to do and that’s a negative for the industry in my opinion as it confuses consumers.

Last edited:
•••
The thing you need to remember though is it's probably not going to be consumers who end up buying these domains.

Lots of companies are starting to become familiar with the tech industry using the XR acronym to refer to these realities.

Been a few examples of companies who previously were branded just VR, adopting the XR acronym.

Correct.

I think many investors know it already as most good names on the drops are getting caught.

Next reported end user sale will come soon, only thing that prevent it is that many aim high/higher than the current offers.

•••
I like having an umbrella term. I understand that XR isn't the correct meaning. I think it stands for biology-something-or-other. I also started reading an article the other day that XR wasn't meant to be eXtended Reality. (I also like Exponential Realities.)

But, augmented reality & virtual reality are 2 different things...similar, but different. I think an umbrella term is handy. It's still early on the evolution of it. Many companies will work on both... not just 1 version. Therefore, an umbrella term might be perfect for them.

On a separate note, if anyone is handy in developing, I have a few questions. I want to find out how to start... please PM me.

•••
How can people be ready for XR when people aren’t yet ready for VR/AR and these markets aren’t yet fully established?

XR is a term that’s trying to incorporate many industries together under one umbrella that are still in their infancy and future uncertain, if just 1 of these industries fails XR as a term fails, if/when VR/AR merges will people call devices that do both ‘XR glasses’ or VR still? I’m betting just VR, i believe it will just be a natural evolution of VR that doesn’t warrant a name change.

Obviously people have different opinions, but my opinions on XR is you can’t run before you can walk and that’s exactly what XR is trying to do and that’s a negative for the industry in my opinion as it confuses consumers.

It will still be VR/AR glasses, what XR is supposed to represent is an umbrella term.

XR won't replace VR or AR. But there will be companies that see value in branding with an umbrella term. That said there will be companies who I am sure will see benefits in branding with just VR or AR.

There are companies already launching with the XR acronym, yes you are correct there is still a long way to go. But companies who have made the switch from the VR to XR acronym have probably done so for a very good reason. It probably fits more to their future mission statement of offering services/products beyond just one single reality.

It's also worth noting that all the big companies representative are starting to make reference to the XR acronym.

Which is a big step forward, when you consider a year and a half ago hardly no one knew what XR was. Where as now, most people who work for these large companies in the reality space will know what it represents.

Last edited:
•••
probably not going to be consumers who end up buying these domains.

Yes i understand that and completly agree but when i see companies (especially big ones) rebranding and branding them self under XR term it shows me their spending money to educate consumers about XR but if other medium companies aren't doing the same and aren't willing to spend some $x,xxx for a domain name to rebrand their brand under XR and just sticking with VR/AR it shows me the term XR is still not there yet.

If consumers aren't educated about XR why brand your company with a term that consumers don't know, thats the mentality of most medium size companies but when big companies start spending billions to educate consumers (by rebranding to the XR term, etc...) other companies will have to do the same or they will fall behind their competitors. Example i brand my company with the XR term then i launch products under that term consumers will pass by them in the shelfs of retailers and won't even look a second time because they don't know what it is in other words they aren't educated about it, now if consumers pass by products with the VR term they will look at them and even pick them up to read what it is because big companies have spended billions on educating the consumer (like for example rebranding to the VR term) of the advantages, possibilities and benefits that VR can bring to their every day life so medium companies will have to do the same.

I'm not saying XR doesn't have a bright future on the contrary i think it's been preforming very well in such a short time compared with the other terms when they were at this stage.

All of this is just my personal opinion i'm not saying it's correct.

•••
The premium on XR.app would be worth it if the renewal was a regular renewal fee. .club does this. You pay the premium for initial registration and have regular renewal for the rest of the domains life. I like their concept.
But, I do not have faith in .app. I have about 5 registered (total), and won't lose any sleep dropping any of them if .app fails.

Thought .APP was doing the same as .club pay a initial reg fee then renewal will be normal price

•••
Thought .APP was doing the same as .club pay a initial reg fee then renewal will be normal price
Well then, crap! I guess I should have done more homework.

•••
Well then, crap! I guess I should have done more homework.

I'm not sure if this is correct but from what i read on a registrar (don't remember which one) i think this is the case but not sure.

•••
It will still be VR/AR glasses, what XR is supposed to represent is an umbrella term.

XR won't replace VR or AR. But there will be companies that see value in branding with an umbrella term. That said there will be companies who I am sure will see benefits in branding with just VR or AR.

There are companies already launching with the XR acronym, yes you are correct there is still a long way to go. But companies who have made the switch from the VR to XR acronym have probably done so for a very good reason. It probably fits more to their future mission statement of offering services/products beyond just one single reality.

It's also worth noting that all the big companies representative are starting to make reference to the XR acronym.

Which is a big step forward, when you consider a year and a half ago hardly no one knew what XR was. Where as now, most people who work for these large companies in the reality space will know what it represents.

Not Sure about the VR/AR only

xr1.png

•••

I actually think the XR won't replace products that are just VR or just AR but i do think it will replace products that are more then one reality VR/AR/MR etc.. It's just to big and confusing having all those realities in the name, example glasses that operate with more then one reality it won't be called VR/AR/MR etc.. Glasses but it will be called XR Glasses IMO

Last edited:
•••
I actually think the XR won't replace products that are just VR or just AR but i do think it will replace products that are more then one reality VR/AR/MR etc.. It's just to big and confusing having all those realities in the name, example glasses that operate with more then one reality it won't be called VR/AR/MR etc.. Glasses but it will be called XR Glasses IMO

I do agree with this. What I meant is there will be always be VR and AR glasses.

XR glasses is a great term:xf.wink:

•••
•••
Anyone heard about AWE? Its pretty big lol .
Look at this :)
GO-XR-BE-AWESOME-1024x479.png

And their agenda is XR all over the place..

That's a great sign .

•••

I do understand your point but don't fully agree. VR and AR aren't fully established and they are in their infancy stage that for sure but don't think people aren't yet ready for them i do think the general consumer aren't receiving the technolagy to well because there are still big problems in the VR and AR tech but if you merge the 2 i do think some of those problems will be solved and consumers will havê a better appeal for the tech.

Also if one of those realities fails doesn't mean the XR term will fail.

I do think people will call the device XR Glasses because VR and AR are two different technologies there will still be VR section for products with just VR and the same for AR but when you have more them one of those technologies i do think the XR term will be what they are called.

Everyone as their own opinion but only the future will tell what awaits ahead for this term.

•••
XR will get stronger and stronger!
Promising start for sure .
Now , Gary and I got something new to share but it will be on a different reality thread ;)

•••
I do understand your point but don't fully agree. VR and AR aren't fully established and they are in their infancy stage that for sure but don't think people aren't yet ready for them i do think the general consumer aren't receiving the technolagy to well because there are still big problems in the VR and AR tech but if you merge the 2 i do think some of those problems will be solved and consumers will havê a better appeal for the tech.

Also if one of those realities fails doesn't mean the XR term will fail.

I do think people will call the device XR Glasses because VR and AR are two different technologies there will still be VR section for products with just VR and the same for AR but when you have more them one of those technologies i do think the XR term will be what they are called.

Everyone as their own opinion but only the future will tell what awaits ahead for this term.

Let me rephrase what i meant, people are ready but the technology isn’t, just as it wasn’t in the early 90’s.

Things have improved since the 90’s, but resolution still isn’t there yet and VR headsets are still too big bulky and uncool.

The thing VR as got going for it though is some of the biggest companies in the world are more determined now to make it succeed than there was in 90’s, companies like Facebook with 10 year plans, not short-term plans, that’s fantastic for the industry having a company like that committed for so long and Facebook will be a biggest factor whether virtual tech succeeds or fails in my opinion even if they don’t have the best headsets on the market.

At the end of the day Facebook have got over 1 billion people on their site, advertising/promoting Facebook are going to be the main guys in making people aware and wanting to try different types of VR/AR headsets, especially if they put together a killer immersive social platform.

•••
Let me rephrase what i meant, people are ready but the technology isn’t, just as it wasn’t in the early 90’s.

Things have improved since the 90’s, but resolution still isn’t there yet and VR headsets are still too big bulky and uncool.

The thing VR as got going for it though is some of the biggest companies in the world are more determined now to make it succeed than there was in 90’s, companies like Facebook with 10 year plans, not short-term plans, that’s fantastic for the industry having a company like that committed for so long and Facebook will be a biggest factor whether virtual tech succeeds or fails in my opinion even if they don’t have the best headsets on the market.

At the end of the day Facebook have got over 1 billion people on their site, advertising/promoting Facebook are going to be the main guys in making people aware and wanting to try different types of VR/AR headsets, especially if they put together a killer immersive social platform.

Let me save your fingers from having to type so much.

VR/AR takes longer to type, just use XR (it means the same thing plus so much more).

LifeHACK tip 101:ROFL:

But yeah 100% agree that these techs do need some big improvements.

•••
I don't like them, but once Apple is in and selling, the battle is on!
The technologies will begin seeing vast improvements quickly, IMO.
I agree, the resolution needs a lot of work, but I have only used the Samsung S8 phone VR.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••

You're commenting on something completely unrelated to what I was replying to. What you said is a given... But they are already worth billions of dollars in commerce and they are industry terms well accepted as many companies have already branded with XR, especially the ones who serve other companies in the industry. I think we debated this already and laid your arguments to rest on this subject, but you seem to be taking advantage of the fact that many of the people who are new to this thread may not have gone back a few pages in this thread to see that.

No use rekindling debates you and I settled already, unless you have amnesia....

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back