Dynadot

WWF.com

NameSilo
Watch
Wrestling fans will have an easier time understanding this than those who aren't. I'm sure most of you heard about the World Wildlife Fund suing the World Wrestling Federation over the initials WWF and the domain www.wwf.com . Well, the Fund won, and the wrestling promotion is now known as WWE. Because of that, the wrestling company had to change their domain to wwe.com, and wwf.com eventually redirected to the Wildlife Fund's site.

Well, today I was typing in www.wwf.com just for kicks, and I get a pro wrestling discussion forum. It seems that just some guy somehow got the domain and is now running a discussion board on that domain. Which brings up a few questions:

1) Didn't the World Wildlife Fund have the domain?
2) If the domain expired, and he was able to snap it, wouldn't the Fund sue him? After all, that's why the World Wrestling Federation was sued - the domain name.

Edit: And after doing a search I now see that someone got it for $8.95... un****ingbelievable.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
what does the e in WWE stands for?

•••
I don't think the wildlife people will sue him, just as long as he doesnt make a profit.

•••
Well he is making a profit, he's got ads running, and the only way to post is to click on the ads.

And the E in WWE stands for Entertainment.

8.95...unbelievable... he's sitting on a gold mine.

•••
world wrestling entertainment.. sounds ok ...

•••
Originally posted by TSC
Well he is making a profit, he's got ads running, and the only way to post is to click on the ads.

And the E in WWE stands for Entertainment.

8.95...unbelievable... he's sitting on a gold mine.

When did he reg this?

•••
Originally posted by g0ldy
When did he reg this?

wwf.com was caught by beatz with an 8.75 bid at namewinner over a year ago. He then sold it to gregr.

•••
•••
Hmmm I don't think I've ever seen that domain redirected to the World Wildlife Fund... I remember checking out WWF.com several times after the WWE lost their case to them, and I'm pretty sure it's been a wresting efedding website.

Was there a World Wildlife Fund splash page at the beginning, explaining the domain had been taken over by them? If so, then yeah, the World Wildlife Fund must have held this name for sometime back then.

Looks like he's owned that name since it was created on 01-dec-2002... Thats longer than I thought. By the Whois details the owner of it must own the name motherboards.com!

•••
Originally posted by Darren
Hmmm I don't think I've ever seen that domain redirected to the World Wildlife Fund... I remember checking out WWF.com several times after the WWE lost their case to them, and I'm pretty sure it's been a wresting efedding website.

Was there a World Wildlife Fund splash page at the beginning, explaining the domain had been taken over by them? If so, then yeah, the World Wildlife Fund must have held this name for sometime back then.

Looks like he's owned that name since it was created on 01-dec-2002... Thats longer than I thought. By the Whois details the owner of it must own the name motherboards.com!

World wildlife fund never owned the domain. after the world wrestling federation lost the case wwf.com was deleted and grabbed by beatz with an 8.75 namewinner bid. he then sold the domain to gregr(perfectname.com).

•••
Whois serach still shows that domain is regd. to 'World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc.' ...!!???? What does that mean ??

•••
Originally posted by Domainerz
Whois serach still shows that domain is regd. to 'World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc.' ...!!???? What does that mean ??

it means that is the name gregr made up for the site.

•••

I don't see that. Whois shows it owned by Greg Ricks/Motherboard.com. Greg must have paid a bundle for it because I offered beatz $10k for it and was declined. (I would have mortgaged my house... hehe!) I'm glad I didn't end up with it because I seriously doubt it gets much traffic anymore. The novelty of it is still cool though!

•••
It gets traffic allright

Overture: 12588 including extension

•••
Originally posted by fattee77
It gets traffic allright

Overture: 12588 including extension

Good call, I stand corrected. Though still not much compared to when it was owned by WWE. :)

•••
Whois serach still shows that domain is regd. to 'World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc.'

:lala: What Whois where you using!?

I picked up the same results as -RJ-.

•••
•••
•••
That made me jealous lol

•••
this is a joke

they suied them silly won and give up the domain.

•••
Actually, I think the original dispute predated the domain name and dates back to the Wrestling WWF agreeing not to promote using the "WWF" initials. Then I think they broke the agreement by promoting the WWF initials heavily, including the website which was the easiest thing for the World Widlife Fund to go after. WIPO and UDRP is cheap compared to a trademark lawsuit, but I think they eventually filed both.

•••
I've Stopped believing 'Register.com'

Originally posted by Darren
:lala: What Whois where you using!?

I picked up the same results as -RJ-.

I had used 'Register.com' and I'm enclosing file of their result. After using other registrars, I got confirmed that RJ result were correct. I've stopped believing 'Register.com' . You guys can also see that 'Register.com' is still showing that this domain belongs to 'World Wrestling Entertainment'...!!??

•••
When the domain was transferred over to the current owner, he put WWE as the current owner, but it's really not.

•••
Back