IT.COM

.ws .WS - The Discussion, Showcase and Sales Report Thread

NameSilo
Watch

hugegrowth

DomainMedia.caTop Member
Impact
Well the .WS registry has been in the news this week for releasing all 5N to 20N combinations last night, and 2 and 3 character .ws will be available later in Feb with new pricing scheme.

.WS registry also has a presence on NP now:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/ws...-ws-domains-will-be-released-tomorrow.915224/

Obviously the China story may be creating a new market for short .WS domains. ALL of the NNNN.ws were bought out over three days this past December according to thedomains.com blog.

I registered some 5N.ws last night when they were released, anyone else stepping into .WS now?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
OK. I can understand that. But it wasn't exactly my question. If they were previously registered for 80 years, how does that turn into only 10 years? Or are these not the same domains as were auctioned before? Many look quite familiar to me.

I dont think any of the ones that had 82 years renewal on them went unsold. So probably not the same names. They had a number of auctions a couple of weeks apart, featuring batches of .ws names. A few auctions had 10 years, one had 82 years and now this has 8 years renewal added.

I think the issue for them was the average prices paid at each of these auctions were almost completely the same. No one really took mind of the 82 years added. Guess most of the buyers had shorter time ranges on their investments. Still it adds to the asset value. I only bought names from the "year 2099" auction.

•••
The old way of getting 100 year renewals was for a hired company to promise to renew the domain for you at the max 10 years 10 times.

This Expiration Date 2099-01-01 a new thing.

Would be a totally cool thing to tell an enduser inquiry. "You know this domain paid for to year 2099 ?" lol

•••
The ds episode that sale was revealed in was published in 2017. So maybe (most likely?) Ammar bought Vape.io on flippa in 2016 (or a later date) then sold it in 2017 for $24k?

Very nice sale, thanks for clarifying since I didn't watch the show.

Last edited:
•••
Just to answer why some names are renewed for longer than others and what is the deal with all those .ws names. When Alan, one of the original owners, split with the company. Part of the deal, or so he claimed, that was they were renewed until 2099. When it came time to transfer then names the present owners of .ws didn't quite agree that was the deal. And again these are words I heard from Namejet so I am not 100% sure of facts. The negotiation was that they could stay renewed until 2099 for free as long as they stay at Name.com the whole time. They next batch of names had less renewal attached. I assume that they reduced their agreement down. Just be careful of other .ws names being thrown in the mix. Check the renewal. Not all are part of the extended renewal

•••
And I bought Christmas.ws to add to my Christmas.cc Not very good endings but the .ws is renewed until 2099 so I have 80 years to try and get my money back :)

•••
They clearly state if the names are renewed 82 or 9 years on the auction overview page.

Only one word I took was space. But happy with that.

•••
•••
Only one word I took was space. But happy with that.
Space is a superb buy! :greedy: It goes with "web space" and ".ws" flawlessly.

How'd you acquire that gold nugget?

Last edited:
•••
Seems the pricing structure for .ws domains has changed for L, LL, LLL domains, all renewals now seem to be $35/yr -

http://website.ws/faq/pricing.dhtml

L or N - ?? reg, $35 renewal
LL or NN - $1200 reg, $35 renewal
LLL or NNN - $600 reg, $35 renewal

•••
Glad I got my LLs free untill 2099 then.

Edit
Looks like that pricing has been valid since 2015? Probably just noone available to reg.

Last edited:
•••
Space is a superb buy! :greedy: It goes with "web space" and ".ws" flawlessly.

How'd you acquire that gold nugget?

Well I paid 500 usd for it at the auction.

•••
LLL.ws reg at $600 makes no sense for the management of .ws

17576 LLLs and they probably have 1% of those regged. Have it at regular price, get most of them registered eventually and earn around half a million in renewals every year.

•••
LLL.ws reg at $600 makes no sense for the management of .ws

17576 LLLs and they probably have 1% of those regged. Have it at regular price, get most of them registered eventually and earn around half a million in renewals every year.

I agree. Except... It will be another 81 years before I pay renewal on my 3x LL.WS.

•••
I agree. Except... It will be another 81 years before I pay renewal on my 3x LL.WS.

Did not mean your specific case )

For LLs, I like .al registry for the simplicity and lower price though. I pay around $10/year for them.

•••
Did not mean your specific case )

For LLs, I like .al registry for the simplicity and lower price though. I pay around $10/year for them.

Well my point was that while they seem to do a reasonable pricing strategy under normal conditions, they practically gave away their LLs without promoting the give away properly. My case is not that specific, they sold 500 LLs with the 82 years added.

Regarding .al being cheaper and more simple.. Well.. I bought all my LL.WS at 500 or lower (one for 309 USD) with 82 years added. If we imagine I hand regged it instead of paying a lump sum, thats 6$ per year on the most expensive and 3,7$ per year on my cheapest. I paid once and dont have to worry for 82 years. Does not get much simpler and cheaper than that.

Check and mate ;)

•••
Well my point was that while they seem to do a reasonable pricing strategy under normal conditions, they practically gave away their LLs without promoting the give away properly. My case is not that specific, they sold 500 LLs with the 82 years added.

Regarding .al being cheaper and more simple.. Well.. I bought all my LL.WS at 500 or lower (one for 309 USD) with 82 years added. If we imagine I hand regged it instead of paying a lump sum, thats 6$ per year on the most expensive and 3,7$ per year on my cheapest. I paid once and dont have to worry for 82 years. Does not get much simpler and cheaper than that.

Check and mate ;)

Not quite. You ignore time value of money. If you can earn just 3% on your money, then 10/yr is always better than 500 upfront even for eternity ) and if you can make 10% a year you are overpaying 40 dollars a year, as you could be making 50 elsewhere

•••
During numeric domains boom this ccTLD was used to be in news frequently but now it's in oblivion.
Any current news on .WS

•••
Now the 2 domains are in my account, I can say what they are. I picked up club.ws & florist.ws in GoDaddy Closeouts in February :) Only just got around to posting this now.

•••
•••
I own a few

Two character emoji domains in

.ws

•••
Now the 2 domains are in my account, I can say what they are. I picked up club.ws & florist.ws in GoDaddy Closeouts in February :) Only just got around to posting this now.
I have club also! Ok, mine is ♧ .ws. :xf.smile:

•••
I took another try at .ws. I picked up 19 one word names on Name Jet back in Feb.

banking.ws
banners.ws
budget.ws
contact.ws
contacts.ws
cooking.ws
driver.ws
dui.ws
fax.ws
fish.ws
gun.ws
lasik.ws
name.com
parts.ws
party.ws
run.ws
school.ws
sold.ws
tan.ws
telecom.ws

•••
I took another try at .ws. I picked up 19 one word names on Name Jet back in Feb.

banking.ws
banners.ws
budget.ws
contact.ws
contacts.ws
cooking.ws
driver.ws
dui.ws
fax.ws
fish.ws
gun.ws
lasik.ws
name.com
parts.ws
party.ws
run.ws
school.ws
sold.ws
tan.ws
telecom.ws

Good luck. You (we) are going to need it :) Keep us informed.

•••

banking.ws
banners.ws
budget.ws
contact.ws
contacts.ws
cooking.ws
driver.ws
dui.ws
fax.ws
fish.ws
gun.ws
lasik.ws
name.com
parts.ws
party.ws
run.ws
school.ws
sold.ws
tan.ws
telecom.ws
Some are absolute potent ones 💪👍

•••
.WS is a waste of time and money - we tried it - just an opinion on a an extension with a very high renewal fee but good luck to all.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back