Dynadot

.ws .WS - The Discussion, Showcase and Sales Report Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

hugegrowth

DomainMedia.caTop Member
Impact
Well the .WS registry has been in the news this week for releasing all 5N to 20N combinations last night, and 2 and 3 character .ws will be available later in Feb with new pricing scheme.

.WS registry also has a presence on NP now:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/ws...-ws-domains-will-be-released-tomorrow.915224/

Obviously the China story may be creating a new market for short .WS domains. ALL of the NNNN.ws were bought out over three days this past December according to thedomains.com blog.

I registered some 5N.ws last night when they were released, anyone else stepping into .WS now?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nat -- I heard, but don't know for sure, that those belong to a former .ws founder.

At any rate, wanted to report that we've passed 21,000 emoji domain registrations on .ws. I'm sure there are people who can better speak to the resale market, but I'd say it's fair to say it's "developing."

•••
•••
.ws does not sell much.

dot ws was sleepy extension until 2015 when emojis became popular in domain names.
Jon whove commented on last Wednesday is the one that make dot ws idn (emojis) to be available in godaddy and since october 2016. since than (10 months) this market of dot ws emoji domain is exploding and 21k domains where bought as mentioned. single emoji domains under dot ws do worth alot thanks to the face that it is impossible to make an emoji domain dot website ro dot web or dor club etc. in the dot com and dot net area, there are around 50 emoji domains, so the value is high. dot ws (regular) domains might get more value since this exposure. also, you can see that website.ws homepage have been changed thanks to that.
feel free to send me a dm\pm if you would like to explore and get more knowledge regarding that.
i specifiacally bought 360.ws a day after 360.com was sold for milions but after two years of (a lot of money) renewal fee i dropped it without success or any inquiry.
thanks guys.
matan- emojiurl dot com

•••
dot ws was sleepy extension until 2015 when emojis became popular in domain names.
Jon whove commented on last Wednesday is the one that make dot ws idn (emojis) to be available in godaddy and since october 2016. since than (10 months) this market of dot ws emoji domain is exploding and 21k domains where bought as mentioned. single emoji domains under dot ws do worth alot thanks to the face that it is impossible to make an emoji domain dot website ro dot web or dor club etc. in the dot com and dot net area, there are around 50 emoji domains, so the value is high. dot ws (regular) domains might get more value since this exposure. also, you can see that website.ws homepage have been changed thanks to that.
feel free to send me a dm\pm if you would like to explore and get more knowledge regarding that.
i specifiacally bought 360.ws a day after 360.com was sold for milions but after two years of (a lot of money) renewal fee i dropped it without success or any inquiry.
thanks guys.
matan- emojiurl dot com

•••
clouds.ws, page.ws be sold

•••
At Namejet there was an auction, but I was too late to warn people here for the auction of today.
There were works on the road somewhere and I was with the bus and he made a detour. and the thing I had to do outside, had to be done by foot for 1 or 2 km,+ A1 hours work, and I was exhausted, and visited a friend, int total exhaustion. There I lost eye of the hour, and there were only 2 names left to bid on when home and no time left to warn people here.
The auctions (that started earlier then today I have to admit) were interesting mostly 2 letterdomains but also several, 3 , 4L and some High Quality-domainwords (f.i. Christmas.ws), and some letter domains. like 08.ws(!! interesting with neutral 0 and Chinese favourite 8) , 711.ws etc. On the 3 mentioned ones I didn't win auction, or didn't participate.
The SPECIAL THING about it was that they WILL have an expiration-date of 2099 (yes 2099). So registerred until 2099, and NO RENEWAL FEE HAS TO BE PAYED FOR THEM UNTIL 2099., so the auction was for 82 years domains.
Namejetmembers, but also people who get the namejet newsletter or have a newsletter for specific domains, were warned before. Hopefully they will do that in the future again.
I really wanted to warn here certainly before the latest day, and that saw in the auctions that some people with a lot of money bought most of the domains in the earlier days. But sadly today I had this unfortunate incident and couldn't warn them. Probably some domains of today will have gone lower (because I nearly didn't bid today I was 2 hours too late).

I hope there will come other such auctions.
Do become member of Namejet and ask for the newsletter for specific lists they send every day. This wasn't mentioned in a normal newsletter but a specific email.

BUT (!) Everybody can always look at their "featured auctions". There are still some interesting ones. QLQ.com etc.
All their featured lists and be found on the following page (I am not earning money for saying this)
http://www.namejet.com/Pages/Auctions/featuredauctions.aspx
It's interesting to check it now and then.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I've got Themes.ws and Shirts.ws. Both great for developers.

Might take a while to find an end-user though.

Last edited:
•••
I made what I thought were serious offers (high $xxx for two of the LL dot ws) only to be outbid at the end. At those prices it would need to be tripled in order to get a return on these IMO

•••
I got 3x ll.ws below 500 per.

Have to remember that 82x years ws renewal is at least 1200 EUR.

They wont be doing this kind of thing again. To many loses. More were scheduled but cancelled now. Heard next batch will have 10 years renewal. Prices will be the same though. People have very little business sense.

•••
Recently i sold reverse button emoji $150 in Godaddy

Single emojis are worthy,but very hard to sell

•••
I got 3x ll.ws below 500 per.

Have to remember that 82x years ws renewal is at least 1200 EUR.

They wont be doing this kind of thing again. To many loses. More were scheduled but cancelled now. Heard next batch will have 10 years renewal. Prices will be the same though. People have very little business sense.
The 1200 € would mean that you have somewhere the abiblity to renew (without price increasing over the years for renewals) a .WS at 10 Euros or so. As far as I know it's a around 20 USD or 30 USD for renewals at this time for the cheapest registers.
I think 3600 € is or 5.000 Euro more likely, certainly if you take into account that over 82 years probably the renewals will be much higher then today. And if you take the quality of some domains "LL" and some interesting keyword-domains, that are high quality and thus have even more value because of the particular name.

About domathing that changed => One of the domains they witdrew from the auction (changed their mind) and was in the auction planned for the 3rd day or so, was ".tv.ws".

•••
Give this
Recently i sold reverse button emoji $150 in Godaddy
Single emojis are worthy,but very hard to sell

Give this time,but this is a possible market in the not so distant future.
If .com, .net .tv don't jump on the wagon, then .WS has for emojis a big advantage, because they began with them.
(although .com and .net and .TV had in the past had emoticons, of wich some are now ws- approved emoji's, but these extentions don't allow making new ones for the time. But you never know : .com,.net .org or TV and maybe some new GTLDs could jump on the wagon also, because the evolution and use of some emoji's is not likely to stop very soon => "A symbol can mean 100 words").

•••
I could imagine a few more cctld opening up sometime in the future now that .ws has had some success in emoji sales. With 5 billion emoji per day being used there is definitely some marketing appeal to them

Attachments

• 20170903_082358.pdf
    16.6 KB · Views: 124
•••
The 1200 € would mean that you have somewhere the abiblity to renew (without price increasing over the years for renewals) a .WS at 10 Euros or so. As far as I know it's a around 20 USD or 30 USD for renewals at this time for the cheapest registers.
I think 3600 € is or 5.000 Euro more likely, certainly if you take into account that over 82 years probably the renewals will be much higher then today. And if you take the quality of some domains "LL" and some interesting keyword-domains, that are high quality and thus have even more value because of the particular name.

About domathing that changed => One of the domains they witdrew from the auction (changed their mind) and was in the auction planned for the 3rd day or so, was ".tv.ws".

Well... Sure prices could go up and that is probably the most realistic scenario. They could also go down. I just took the current cheapest renewal price and multiplied by 82 years. I am sure you know that 10$ x 82 = 820$ not 1200. But 14,95$ (1&1) = 1225$.

Regardless I am very happy for my purchases and cant wait for them to transfer. I got some very attractive letters at killer prices in my opinion. Rare you find a LL in any extension that you can buy and renew 80 years in advance for less than 500$.. Correction its not rare, its was a unique situation. Knock on wood.

•••
Well... Sure prices could go up and that is probably the most realistic scenario. They could also go down. I just took the current cheapest renewal price and multiplied by 82 years. I am sure you know that 10$ x 82 = 820$ not 1200. But 14,95$ (1&1) = 1225$.
Do you really trust 1and1 ?

•••
What relevance at all has that to me making calculations based on the lowest renewal rate available? 6 months ago it was someone else that had the lowest renewals.

You thought 10x 82 equals 1200. I am telling you its 15x 82. Ok?

•••
Lowest WS transfer AND renewal - $12.99 (not 1&1)
Moved mine there earlier this year, no issues, responsive support
https://www.namepros.com/threads/ws-transfer-and-renewal-12-99.1003238/

Was curious if the "renewed until 2099" offer would get some sales going. Too bad the WS registry changes their mind so often, the zero renewal concept was an interesting idea.

Congrats on your pickups @promo

•••
What relevance at all has that to me making calculations based on the lowest renewal rate available? 6 months ago it was someone else that had the lowest renewals.

You thought 10x 82 equals 1200. I am telling you its 15x 82. Ok?
No problem, I don't deny that.

•••
http://www.domainsherpa.com/review-20170807/?WPACRandom=1502097005869#comment-4889016
DomainSherpa Review – Aug 7: Vape.io, ScreenSaver.com, SelfDriving.com, FlyPaper.com…

I just found out VAPE. IO sold for $24k on DomainSherpa.......funny thing is about 2 weeks ago or so I got my very first LOW XX LOL offer on VAPE. WS...now I see why.

....I still think this one is a sleeper and I was very lucky to catch it! Even if it is .ws it's the fact VAPE is such a strong keyword. I will hold out until the right offer comes.

Last edited:
•••
NameJet have another .ws auction running but the renewals are only to 2026.
http://www.namejet.com/featuredauctions/ws

My only questions would be
1) What are the renewal rates for xx, xxx, xxxx+
2) How does a domain go from not needing a renewal for 80 years to not needing a renewal for 10 years ;)

•••
value.ws renewed until 2099 only if is hosted from name.com

•••
value.ws renewed until 2099 only if is hosted from name.com

OK. I can understand that. But it wasn't exactly my question. If they were previously registered for 80 years, how does that turn into only 10 years? Or are these not the same domains as were auctioned before? Many look quite familiar to me.

•••
http://www.domainsherpa.com/review-20170807/?WPACRandom=1502097005869#comment-4889016
DomainSherpa Review – Aug 7: Vape.io, ScreenSaver.com, SelfDriving.com, FlyPaper.com…

I just found out VAPE. IO sold for $24k on DomainSherpa.......funny thing is about 2 weeks ago or so I got my very first LOW XX LOL offer on VAPE. WS...now I see why.

....I still think this one is a sleeper and I was very lucky to catch it! Even if it is .ws it's the fact VAPE is such a strong keyword. I will hold out until the right offer comes.

I checked and on Vape.io and it states on namebio was $1250. I Don’t watch the Sherpa shows so maybe you might paste a piece of the transcript as I am not sure what or who claimed that price or if that was not recorded as a verified sale. Perhaps the other threads like @AbdulBasit.com wrote recently like the about true verified pricing might help clear the air.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/1-domain-sold-for-1000.1051318/

https://namebio.com/?s==kDOyIzMyUTM

•••
I checked and on Vape.io and it states on namebio was $1250.

That $1,250 sale was reported in 2016. https://flippa.com/4354846-vape-io

The ds episode that sale was revealed in was published in 2017. So maybe (most likely?) Ammar bought Vape.io on flippa in 2016 (or a later date) then sold it in 2017 for $24k?

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back