IT.COM

Writing a good review

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Writing a good review

Hey,

I thought i might take the time to make a guide on writing Web Design Reviews.

The first point i'm going to mention, is, that this forum (category) is called "Web Design Reviews".
There are quite afew reviews just reviewing the users site concept, or idea.

We try to review the Web Design part of the site.
Don't think you can't talk about the idea, by all means, you can, but try to add in some design chat too. ;)

Reviewing
There is no, "right or wrong" way to reviewing a Website Design.
Why? Mainly because of peoples "stlyes/tastes", we all like different things.

So with that in mind, when reviewing, simply state what you like, and, what you think the user could do to improve their site design.
It doesn't matter if it's a messed up Horizontal Rules, or something more major.
Any help would be greatly appreciated by the user.

If the user gets mixed reviews about the colour scheme, or the way things are positioned, don't think "you" messed up.
Nobody "messed up", the user can take all the comments and impovements into consideration.

This way, the more reviews they get, the more ideas for improvment they have.

Options
Lets not be harsh towards users,
saying things such as...
That's not very good, you've done that wrong! The nav' doesn't look good.
Notice the opinion? If you have a opinion, try not to state "it's wrong", just incase the user takes it the wrong way, and you both end up arguing, resulting in a ban or warning.

Reasons
When giving improvments, try to say why you think it will look better, try to state the reason, so other readers and the user knows why to do the imporvement point in his desgin, and in future designs.

For example,
I don't think a black background really suits the site for youung children.
We always think of children as happy, lively people, so try to relate the audiences "personallity" with the site design and colour scheme, bright colours, greens, reds, yellows, greens etc would be more suitied in my opinion.

Format
There is no correct reviewing format, it's up to you.
You don't need to rate certain aspects of the site out of ten like some members do.
It's what's best for you, how ever we can recommend a basic format. It completely up to you if you wish to follow it.

Start of by saying what you like about the site, going in with all improvments comments could yet again get the user furstrated, by thinking people are just saying bad things about thier site.

After all the good points have being made, state the improvements.
Remember, giving reasons and making clear it's you opinion will no doubt get "through" to the user clearer.

Rep
Making a good review can result in getting reputation from the user, not all users asking for reviews give Rep', but you have more chance getting rep' for making longer, helpful reviews that shorter reviews.

---

I know this isn't a "in-depth" guide to reviewing, but helpfully will help you improve your reviews.

Happy reviewing! :)

Adrian

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.

You're absolutely right !
Many people don't know this and they end up insulting the designers...
You had a good idea to post this!
Keep up the good work ;)

•••
Nice guide. Thread stuck.

RJ

•••
Can you write an "in-depth" guide to reviewing?
It would be rather helpful for longer and detailed reviews from which the creator of the site might really benefit.

•••
This thread looks really helpful... and most of all important.

When it comes to the technical side of websites, reviewing should be easy and should raise no conflicts, but telling opinions about, for example, choice of colors shouldn't sound too exclusive. I mean, there's always the artistic side to web design.

I also think people shouldn't be afraid of telling someone what bad there is in that person's design. How is it constructive if you only romanticize other people's designs? Isn't reviewing ment to improve your skills, notify about your possible mistakes?

•••
good effort nice tutorial

•••
Thanks for the guides! It will help a lot.

•••
Finally!

This is awesome! I needed this information badly!
Thanks @Hitch!

•••
Writing a good review

Hey,

I thought i might take the time to make a guide on writing Web Design Reviews.

The first point i'm going to mention, is, that this forum (category) is called "Web Design Reviews".
There are quite afew reviews just reviewing the users site concept, or idea.

We try to review the Web Design part of the site.
Don't think you can't talk about the idea, by all means, you can, but try to add in some design chat too. ;)

Reviewing
Why? Mainly because of peoples "stlyes/tastes", we all like different things.

So with that in mind, when reviewing, simply state what you like, and, what you think the user could do to improve their site design.
It doesn't matter if it's a messed up Horizontal Rules, or something more major.
Any help would be greatly appreciated by the user.

If the user gets mixed reviews about the colour scheme, or the way things are positioned, don't think "you" messed up.
Nobody "messed up", the user can take all the comments and impovements into consideration.

This way, the more reviews they get, the more ideas for improvment they have.

Options
Lets not be harsh towards users,
saying things such as...

Notice the opinion? If you have a opinion, try not to state "it's wrong", just incase the user takes it the wrong way, and you both end up arguing, resulting in a ban or warning.

Reasons
When giving improvments, try to say why you think it will look better, try to state the reason, so other readers and the user knows why to do the imporvement point in his desgin, and in future designs.

For example,

Format
There is no correct reviewing format, it's up to you.
You don't need to rate certain aspects of the site out of ten like some members do.
It's what's best for you, how ever we can recommend a basic format. It completely up to you if you wish to follow it.

Start of by saying what you like about the site, going in with all improvments comments could yet again get the user furstrated, by thinking people are just saying bad things about thier site.

After all the good points have being made, state the improvements.
Remember, giving reasons and making clear it's you opinion will no doubt get "through" to the user clearer.

Rep
Making a good review can result in getting reputation from the user, not all users asking for reviews give Rep', but you have more chance getting rep' for making longer, helpful reviews that shorter reviews.

---

I know this isn't a "in-depth" guide to reviewing, but helpfully will help you improve your reviews.

Happy reviewing! :)

Adrian

Thanks it was awesome guide by you. )

•••
Very nice suggestion here i can see as web designer. some times that is not good day for web designer so every time mess with web designer is not good for proper work.

•••
In this situation that is not good to shout on web designer. Besides shouting on web designer you need to focus on resolving current problem which is appearing on the moment. Some times this type of mistakes can be done. Even i have made some mistakes while working on web design.

•••
I needed this information badly!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back