Dynadot

poll Would you use .me for personal branding?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Would you use .me for personal branding?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    40.4%
  • Not at all

votes
    36.2%
  • Only if other extensions are taken

votes
    23.4%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
I've seen software developers use a lot of firstnameLastname.me for personal brand, using it to showcase their portfolio, the projects they have done, a complete repository perhaps.

How do you think .me is when compared to, say, firstnameLastname.com or say some other extension?
Also, would you prefer a .me over a .COM for personal branding?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What did you find then? O_o
Resume, causes, interests (e.g. works with a local music group, not as musician, also environmental links), sometimes new events but those are pretty ending now, etc. It is what a personal brand should do (see my quote above from a branding expert). "is the unique combination of skills, experience, and personality that you want the world to see you. It is the telling of your story, and how it reflects your conduct, behavior, spoken and unspoken words, and attitudes."

Anyway, as I said, I can understand that different people have different views. Don't plan to extend this more from my end. When a question is posed, my style is to look at data sources, rather than to over depend on my personal viewpoint. I have shared most of the data I collected re use of the extension and what a personal brand is.

I understand some prefer to always use and promote only one, or a very few TLDs, no matter what the use is. I don't think that way myself. I look at the best combination across both sides of the dot, looking at both aspects of the name on the left and the TLD on the right.

Have a good day.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
In my personal experience developers (personal brand) just go for whatever is available at reg fee and is somewhat known to the public, or the ccTLD.

I wouldn't use .me these days. co/io/dev is what you need if you want to be part of the cool kids club :)

And let’s be honest, we all want to be a part of that club, don’t we? :xf.smile:

•••
Resume, causes, interests (e.g. works with a local music group, not as musician, also environmental links), sometimes new events but those are pretty ending now, etc. It is what a personal brand should do (see my quote above from a branding expert). "is the unique combination of skills, experience, and personality that you want the world to see you. It is the telling of your story, and how it reflects your conduct, behavior, spoken and unspoken words, and attitudes."

Bob
Pretty much what I’ve mentioned above when speaking of possible use cases for .me.

I don’t want to ask what was the main reason for developing a website on .me versus .com (or .ca if he is in Canada too). 🙂

Last edited:
•••
I did not think of Dofo as an easy place to check registration stats, but although I use it every day, no not today for this. In fact I used https://domainnamestats.com/ for the information on Alexa 1M data. I went directly to Spamhaus, as I always do, for abuse stats.
Anyway, to briefly answer, I used the best available free data sources that I know about. It's what I like to do :xf.wink:.

Bob, please accept this "extra" data from Dofo :xf.wink:

There are;
3,410 .me websites in Alexa Top 1,000,000.
511 .me websites in Alexa Top 100,000.
46 .me websites in Alexa Top 10,000

According to our data, there are 960 thousand .me domains.
427,800 of them have a website.
107,500 .me domain names are parked.

57,000 .me domain names are for sale on marketplaces.

•••
Bob, please accept this "extra" data from Dofo :xf.wink:

There are;
3,410 .me websites in Alexa Top 1,000,000.
511 .me websites in Alexa Top 100,000.
46 .me websites in Alexa Top 10,000

According to our data, there are 960 thousand .me domains.
427,800 of them have a website.
107,500 .me domain names are parked.

57,000 .me domain names are for sale on marketplaces.
How can I check the same stats for .co, .io and .dev in Dofo?

•••
Wow, fantastic data @Macit. You would think by now I would just go to Dofo to get the best answer for any question :xf.smile:. I usually do that, but I guess had a senior's moment when did not go to Dofo today.

So slightly fewer registered than my stats (perhaps date difference or how pending deletes are counted in two systems), but not that different. It is really interesting that about 44% have websites. That strikes me as quite high from the data on various TLDs I read in Domnomics from surveys. Also, it strikes me as a surprisingly low 5.9% are for sale on marketplaces (although parked numbers suggest probably some others really are for sale probably in other places and ways).

What a fantastic picture Dofo is able to give of an extensions registration, aftermarket for-sale status, and website use! (y)

You really should, if you do not already, have I Love Dofo shirts :xf.grin:. Sorry for not thinking to go to you right off for data. Thanks for amazing data, which caused me to do one last post after I said I was out of this thread.

So .me use like wp.me which is redirect to WordPress, no_url_shorteners which redirects to Telegram, fb(.)me that is used to redirect to Facebook, do those redirects get counted in stats for Alexa I presume (or does just the site visited after redirect, or both, get the credit?). I must look more into this and the popular sites.

Thanks again! Dofo to the rescue!

Bob

Last edited:
•••
@Macit will probably provide you a complete answer, but some of it you can get easily from the extension setting at Dofo. e.g.
https://dofo.com/extensions/io

tells you there are 483k registrations in .io, of which 36k are for sale currently on marketplaces. It has a Global Rank of 52.

It also will show you the most popular sites in the extension, as well as registrar and country breakdown.

If you click on More Filters, you can limit sites with websites to get that data.

I too would like to know how you access the Alexa data from the various classes e.g. top 100k for an extension. I don't think I know how to do that.

Of course whether it is a good extension for a personal brand is a different one, although I agree related, to how many registrations, websites and popular corporate sites there are.

Bob

PS When Dofo give the Global Rank, @Macit, is that simply based on number of registrations, as opposed to the Cisco Global Rank? It seems so, I see .co is Global Rank 19, .me is 38 and .io is 52, but I think that is simply registration based.

Last edited:
•••

You can check dofo.com/extensions for some of the stats I gave.

@Macit will probably provide you a complete answer, but some of it you can get easily from the extension setting at Dofo. e.g.
https://dofo.com/extensions/io

tells you there are 483k registrations in .io, of which 36k are for sale currently on marketplaces. It has a Global Rank of 52.

It also will show you the most popular sites in the extension, as well as registrar and country breakdown.

If you click on More Filters, you can limit sites with websites to get that data.

I too would like to know how you access the Alexa data from the various classes e.g. top 100k for an extension. I don't think I know how to do that.

Of course whether it is a good extension for a personal brand is a different one, although I agree related, to how many registrations, websites and popular corporate sites there are.

Bob

PS When Dofo give the Global Rank, @Macit, is that simply based on number of registrations, as opposed to the Cisco Global Rank? It seems so, I see .co is Global Rank 19, .me is 38 and .io is 52, but I think that is simply registration based.

@Bob Hawkes, Domain extension rank is simply based on domain registration count, nothing else :xf.smile:

Unfortunately, we don't show the Alexa data on Dofo.com yet, but whenever you need any data related to domain names, we would be more than happy to provide.

We are tagging all domain names based on their usage:
* if it is resolved or not,
* if it is parked or not (by looking at the nameservers and we also check the content if it's a one-page parking page, etc.)
* if it is redirected to another domain name or not and so.

---

@abstractdomainer sorry if my messages seem out of topic :xf.wink:

•••
•••
No, I wouldn't. I like .COM too much.

•••
Different views. no worries...
Cheers..

i dont get it.

i admire your class response answer value .me and prefer to use over .com but why??

Ritesh Chauhan would be available in .com
would look more credible than .me.. get both!

Cheers

Last edited:
•••
i dont get it.

i admire your class response answer value .me and prefer to use over .com but why??

Ritesh Chauhan would be available in .com
would look more credible than .me.. get both!

Cheers
because, you are thinking as a domainer.
If i want to develop something, then my first choice will be gtld or ngtls only.
for example, I will prefer cityname.city for development instead of cityname.com.
They looks decent to me.
Some times .live , .me, .im sounds better to me.

Thats why I said, different choices, different views. No specific reason.

•••
If i want to develop something, then my first choice will be gtld or ngtls only.
for example, I will prefer cityname.city for development instead of cityname.com.
They looks decent to me.

Thats why I said, different choices, different views. No specific reason.

I develop websites too. And .com is only 30% of my domain portfolio.

“Sounds better to me” is not an argument unless you build a website for your personal use.

•••
I develop websites too. And .com is only 30% of my domain portfolio.

“Sounds better to me” is not an argument unless you build a website for your personal use.

Ha ha..
I want to clarify that i am talking for just personal website development. Or for personal projects.

I never mentioned that i am developer. I'm just domainer...

•••
Also would like to mention that as a domain investor, I will not invest more than 20% in .me extension.

•••
I never mentioned that i am developer. I'm just domainer...

They looks decent to me.

What a smart conversation we have here :ROFL:

•••
I'm a big fan of .Me....I have

Mememememememememememememememememememememememememememememememe.Me

Me-Me.Me

Lean-on.Me

•••
The only one I would of considered for personal branding is.....

i am.me

which is already taken and forwards to....(I have no affiliation with this site)

https://www.juancarlos.live/

•••
There are a couple of .me that I would personally develop and brand if I had the chance.

•••
No. Always use .COM for any Branding type.

•••
.ME is a nice alternative to the .COM ones. I had my 4 letter firstname.ME in 2012 from Gandi.net when they were giving away free .ME domains. I tried to purchase first+last.COM but the seller asked $4000 for it, I ignored and got it in 2017 when it dropped and caught by namejet.com.

Long story short I love my first+last.COM and would be willing to .ME alternative if I hadn't have the .COM one.

•••
I have a few .me domains I got during a promo, but I would only get [verb].me domains.

For example, here are a few nice ones I DO NOT OWN :xf.cry::

tax.me
slap.me
f**k.me
eat.me
click.me

ETC. It's perfect for personal branding especially if you have the dictionary word for your service. Like if you have a freelancer platform, then hire.me would be great!

Last edited:
•••
It is perhaps me, but I think there is confusion re what personal branding means in this thread.

Some are interpreting it as the brand for a small business that you own personally, but that is not how I interpret the term. I interpret that it is your brand as a person, that is shares the story of your personal accomplishments, goals, plans, interests and causes. On your personal branding site might be your resume (perhaps), interests such as hobbies, causes or volunteer activities, etc.

Now in a few cases of celebrities, entertainers, influencers, etc., the same site might be both their personal branding site and their business website, but for most they are something entirely different.

As I (possibly incorrectly) interpret it, the site where I promote, sell and talk about domain names is not my personal branding site. For the domain promotion site I would probably not use .me, unless I was selling mainly .me domain names, or domain names primarily for personal branding, perhaps.

My personal branding site, which I don't have one, would include things like my resume if I was looking for work, a statement about things that are of interest to me, a link to my LinkedIn and Twitter, possibly some photos or artwork I wanted to share widely, links to organizations I volunteer with or feel strongly about, perhaps links to a few things that I wrote, especially opinion pieces. Some people use their LinkedIn profile as essentially their personal branding site.

To me for that sort of use, a strictly personal branding site, .me makes a lot of sense. Odds are you can hand reg some variant of your name, and the extension tells people it is probably a personal site. Descriptively accurate.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
i would use a .me if it was flashy enough. Like if i had a shop... i would def use shop.me

or a tv show review site would be great for tv.me.

and without saying anything, Music.Me is far better than Music.com in some instances.

•••
I personally have my first name as a .xyz
If I could have gotten my first name as a .me I probably would have done that as well though.

Julian.xyz

Funny story, the guy who owned Julian.xyz before me declined a $500.00 offer by me to acquire it. I was ready to hand him $500. He said he wanted more and I declined. Not even 12 months later I got a notification that the domain expired and I picked up it for just $10.00 USD :ROFL:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back