Dynadot

discuss Would you rent out your domain(s) for the short-term?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DomaHub

Established Member
Impact
Hello NamePros experts!

Looking to get some discussion and feedback going for an idea we have been developing. We appreciate any comments!

Background:

We are an early-stage start-up, creating a platform for domain name leasing and rentals. Currently we have developed the workflow to rent out your domain to anyone else by the day, week, and month.

You pick the price and time you want to rent it out for (e.g. $1 per day, $5 per week, etc.), we present it on our site (i.e. nice, personalized listing page), and we take care of the contract + transaction with your renters. You would have to direct your domain(s)' A Record to our servers and we would then redirect the end-user's desired web content to your domain.

For example, the end-user rents out www.imsopretty.com and has it display her personal Instagram page.
Or a big company wants to launch a marketing campaign for a new product and they rent out www.thenextbigthing.com for a month.

Issue/Discussion:
Although we do plan on providing more traditional leasing contacts (3, 6, 12 months), we also really like the idea of providing short-term rentals because it creates a lot of utility for a domain name.

For example, you could make happybirthday.com rent-able on a daily basis and someone could potentially utilize that domain every day. We are trying to provide an alternative to parking as well as the idea that you have to build a website/traffic to generate value for your domain. You help someone out and they put money in your pocket.

However, we are unsure if domain owners would also be interested in short-term rentals. Do you guys see value in being able to let people use your domains for just a day or a week at a time?

We will be happy to answer any questions regarding our business and company as well.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

tld;dr Would you be interested in renting out your domain(s) for days or weeks at a time?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Great idea, i'm doing something similar in my cctld.

Is it only .coms you are accepting or is it premium keywords in cctld's?

@DomaHub

•••
when I saw "masturbasians.com" next to mine I've quit

Hi @frank-germany

We have fixed that issue and all adult domain names will not appear next to non-adult domain names as we have told you already in a private email.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope that through the help of our beta testers we can iron out all the kinks just like this.

•••
Great idea, i'm doing something similar in my cctld.

Is it only .coms you are accepting or is it premium keywords in cctld's?

@DomaHub

Any TLDs are accepted!

•••
I was waiting for such a project! I always hated to see good domain names parked without any good use for so many years (except for junk ads)! and thought it was a big waste of resources! If I had some good names I will be more than happy to participate but unfortunately I don't (yet) and I know some greedy investors who are sitting on the best names will never contribute in such project!

Please do sign up for the beta once you have names you wish to rent out!

•••
How is the testing going? Can we see some screenshots?

Can you choose any CMS to have the site build on?

Can I ask how much the price or commisions are?

Is it suitable for Turkish/IDN character domain names?

For example, let's say someone has the word 'unbelievable' as a domain name but then in another language. Would that be an ultra premium? For what could that be used?

Testing is going along smoothly, there were several features requested that we're currently implementing. Currently, there is no CMS implementation where the renter can build a website using your domains. All they do is simply redirect your domain names to existing web content via a URL.

The commission is currently--18% plus a processing fee of 2.9% + $0.30 USD. We are exploring options for ways you can lower this commission. (Like a rewards system)

Currently we don't support IDNs. This is definitely something we may implement in the future if it is a popular request from our users.

•••
I am on the side of end users who develop domains and make them alive for everyone to enjoy! If I had one of the best names I would participate in such projects for sure maybe not this one posted here but I liked the concept! if not I may sell the domain to an end user who has a vision or at least develop and put some useful content for the visitors!

How is parking a great use ?! I don't know anyone who like ads I prefer quality content related to the name not ads.

That's how you see it ?! I respect your opinion but I looked at the idea from a completely different angle if implemented well it can be beneficial to everyone from the domain investor down to the internet users.

Thank you, we're hoping that all parties involved can benefit from our product. It's a tough balancing act but we'll get there!

•••
Hi @frank-germany

We have fixed that issue and all adult domain names will not appear next to non-adult domain names as we have told you already in a private email.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope that through the help of our beta testers we can iron out all the kinks just like this.

I do not get it at all

Why in the first place do want to rent adult names?
What do you think who is going to rent it?
In order to do what?

And when you where approving adult names
That didn't trigger something??

•••
Anyone that wants to put their faith in filtering, especially by Google, should read this:

A French advertising group that has clients including O2, EDF and Royal Mail has become the first of the major global marketing companies to pull all its ad spend from Google and YouTube.
The firm said it had taken the step after talks with Google had broken down because the tech company had been “unable to provide specific reassurances, policy and guarantees that their video or display content is classified either quickly enough or with the correct filters”.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...ges-more-control-for-brands-over-ad-placement

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/mar/17/extremists-ads-uk-brands-google-wagdi-ghoneim

•••
I do not get it at all

Why in the first place do want to rent adult names?
What do you think who is going to rent it?
In order to do what?

And when you where approving adult names
That didn't trigger something??

We are currently operating in a closed beta where we're trying to iron out kinks in our product. Had we filtered the adult domains or prevented our testers from creating that domain, we would never have found out about this problem. We do not believe we are at liberty currently to say what domains will be and can be rented out.

Thank you for your understanding and patience as we continue to grow and learn from our mistakes. We don't mean any disrespect to you or any other domain owners, we're simply trying to provide the best possible product for everyone and it's important that we catch these issues early on before launching publicly.

•••
•••

Thank you for these articles--I think Ronan Harris in the second article puts it nicely--

“We recognise that we don’t always get it right.” He said: “In a very small percentage of cases, ads appear against content that violates our monetisation policies. We promptly remove the ads in those instances, but we know we can and must do more.”

Likewise, we at DomaHub can't always get it right, but we can certainly keep trying until we do. Thank you for your response @carob

•••
•••
Any TLDs are accepted!

Good, just waiting for an invite, here is a selection of my keyword domains:

Golf

Broadband

Education

Technology

Cricket

etc, etc

•••
The commission is currently--18% plus a processing fee of 2.9% + $0.30 USD. We are exploring options for ways you can lower this commission. (Like a rewards system)

18% + 2.9% = 20.9% + $0.30 fee

or for every $100 earned, net is $79.32

imo....

•••
18% + 2.9% = 20.9% + $0.30 fee

or for every $100 earned, net is $79.32

imo....

The commission rate is something that is definitely still being discussed. It is open to change in the future.

•••
@DomaHub Great Idea, I've read all the posts and many investors made really good points.
Hugedomains.com and others are doing the same thing. It seems like most tech savvy domain owners are already leasing their domains. How do you plan to be more appealing? Especially with such high commission? This would have to be a high tech web and mobile platform. I'm already leasing some of my domains, how can this be attractive for someone who's already doing it?
Hell, if I could park my own domains and keep all the revenues I would.

Honestly, the only thing I see good out of this is that more and more common users will see the importance of a good domain. Right now domains are last in the business owner's mind.

•••
@DomaHub Great Idea, I've read all the posts and many investors made really good points.
Hugedomains.com and others are doing the same thing. It seems like most tech savvy domain owners are already leasing their domains. How do you plan to be more appealing? Especially with such high commission? This would have to be a high tech web and mobile platform. I'm already leasing some of my domains, how can this be attractive for someone who's already doing it?
Hell, if I could park my own domains and keep all the revenues I would.

Honestly, the only thing I see good out of this is that more and more common users will see the importance of a good domain. Right now domains are last in the business owner's mind.

@Centaur Thank you for your reply.

We are creating a frictionless method for users to utilize domain rentals without having to go through the tedious and manual process of contacting the owner, changing DNS nameservers, and filing paperwork.

In addition, we make it simple for the domain owner to manage large amounts of domains without having to do any of the above manual work. Simply list your domain on our platform and we take care of the rest. We provide all relevant traffic information and statistics for your domain's listing page and help you attract potential renters.

The commission rate is not set in stone. We are very very open to changing it according to feedback.

If you'd like, you can sign up for beta and help us create the perfect product for both owners and users.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back