IT.COM

Would you like free .com domain names forever?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Would you like free .com domain names forever?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

frank-germany

domainer since 2001 / musicianTop Member
Impact
I really wonder what you guys think of building a registrar for .com domain names only
that would allow you to register a .com domain, use it as you like

after you are able to sell it
we spread the sales amount that way:

50% goes to the registrar to cover the costs
30% goes to you
20% goes to shelter for homeless

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
So what if I register toptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptop.com

Just an idea is all since I heard it might be of value if I sell it as second most expensive name learned that at namepros.

•••
So what if I register toptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptop.com

Just an idea is all since I heard it might be of value if I sell it as second most expensive name learned that at namepros.

max char number of a domain is 63
did you count ?

•••
nah I was kidding I just copied and pasted like the illuminati.

•••
You would want to hand pick your members.

•••

The maximum number of (visible) characters in a domain name (domain name = all "parts" ((x - level)domains, dots, TLD)) is

253 (when not counting the (in)visible dot of the rootzone)
254 (when counting the (in)visible dot of the rootzone)

which means that your (impossible) domain name - idea (706 / 707 characters) has 453 characters more than possible.

There are 2 reasons why it is not possible to create something impossible:

1. Because it is impossible.
2. Because even if it would be possible (e. g. through a workaround or a change of circumstances), it would just show that the supposedly impossible is actually something possible.

But it is possible to create domain names that show what is possible.

•••
Was that 253 or 254 I think your customer gave up also.

•••
Was that 253 or 254 I think your customer gave up also.
Such long domain names are only for individuals who won't give uppp

•••
Interesting idea but the revenue split is not worth it.

Why pay you 50% on a sale when someone can generate 100% by spending $8?

The flip side is... you will get a ton of names that will never be sold and you will betaken advantage of.

As far as the donation, that should be coming out of your split, not the guy doing 100% of the work to sell the domain.

Would I consider it?

Make it 80% Domainer, 20% for Registrar and donations comes out of your end.

The other way you can make it work is do a split but the domainer's 80% goes down based on how many names they registered... so for instance...

I register 20 names, $8 reg fee on loan. = $160.

I sell one domain name for $1,000... Sale gets split $800 to me, $200 to you with you covering fees. The $800 is reduced by the $160 I owe for the domains I registered that were not yet paid. Your 20%, call it the opportunity cost.

The split can be altered based on what other tools you provide, such as marketplace, escrow, brokerage, etc.

But no, otherwise I would not give up 50% of my revenue to you for loaning me $8 and 20% to a cause I may not believe in.

And I am assuming with your model the registrar owns the names since you paid for it?

•••
No Frank,

I enjoy “rent-paying” mentality — Kidding aside

more reason love epik only 2 offer forever com

Samer

Last edited:
•••
I really wonder what you guys think of building a registrar for .com domain names only
that would allow you to register a .com domain, use it as you like

after you are able to sell it
we spread the sales amount that way:

50% goes to the registrar to cover the costs
30% goes to you
20% goes to shelter for homeless
I applaud your enthusiasm for wanting to give back. It is a good idea and it looks like your only competitor is squadhelp with their success of squadhelp registered domains where the seller only receives 20-25% of the sale price, so your numbers are not far off. I like the idea and think it may still be early enough, a lot of work though if you're manually approving every name in this age of spam.

•••
Make the domain charge $2 flat.. so the customer won't reg unlimited domains. And then make it 50-50% or max 40(domainer)-60 registrar... Cut the charity part, that's a personal choice.. ultimately manually approving won't work for many many reasons.. you'll be accused of front-running, your own biases might creep up in that process..

Last edited:
•••
Interesting idea.
Names would have to be checked prior to domain order/registry.
The charity could be optional
Homeless, Solar recycling, Wildlife, Sea
Other smaller projects.
Have the sales platform and the buyer chooses which charity! 😊

•••
Interesting idea but the revenue split is not worth it.

Why pay you 50% on a sale when someone can generate 100% by spending $8?

The flip side is... you will get a ton of names that will never be sold and you will betaken advantage of.

As far as the donation, that should be coming out of your split, not the guy doing 100% of the work to sell the domain.

Would I consider it?

Make it 80% Domainer, 20% for Registrar and donations comes out of your end.

The other way you can make it work is do a split but the domainer's 80% goes down based on how many names they registered... so for instance...

I register 20 names, $8 reg fee on loan. = $160.

I sell one domain name for $1,000... Sale gets split $800 to me, $200 to you with you covering fees. The $800 is reduced by the $160 I owe for the domains I registered that were not yet paid. Your 20%, call it the opportunity cost.

The split can be altered based on what other tools you provide, such as marketplace, escrow, brokerage, etc.

But no, otherwise I would not give up 50% of my revenue to you for loaning me $8 and 20% to a cause I may not believe in.

And I am assuming with your model the registrar owns the names since you paid for it?
Some valid points there!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back