IT.COM

Would selling facebook.eu be a crime?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

elodo

Established Member
Impact
Could you please help me understand something about cybersquatting and trademarks?

Out of curiosity I searched on GoDaddy's auctions for domains starting with "facebook", "twitter", "telegram" etc. - they all have literally zero bids.
I understand that nobody wants to use websites with such names out of fear to be sued, right?

But what about a domain seller?

If, for example, somebody manages to register today "facebook.jewelry" or "facebook.fishing" and sells it immediately on an auction
- is that a punishable crime? or "bad faith"? can they / will they be sued by Facebook for making a profit by selling such domain?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No one in their mind will never buy a domains you mentioned (and normally people buying in auctions ARE domainers, so, they all know the drill )) But hypothetically, if you bought it and sold - no one can do nothing to you, - since it's never been ruled out by arbitrage that it's someone's property or trademark violation. And why, what's the point for them to go after you? They would go after the new owner.
But again, it's a bad idea and very useless one - to touch such names...

•••
Any established brand with clear trademarks and operates internationally, I would never touch an exact match domain in a diff extension.

•••
•••
Simply stay away form Copyright, TM etc domains, its not worth the time and money.

•••
If you check on whois.net, you will see that Amazon owns amazonsucks.com,
Walmart owns walmartsucks.com, Verizon owns verizonsucks.com, etc.
They want to keep those names out of your hands. Those names have value.
Their trademark has no claim on those domain names.
They may threaten to sue you, anyone can sue anyone, but the first amendment
gives you the right to criticize these companies and to use their trademarked name
in your domain name. It is not a crime to cybersquat. And how do you even know
that the trademark owner even cares. Buy the name you want and find out.
Domaining is not for sissies.

•••
There have been domainers here buying those types of domains only for that TM truck to come by and snatch them up, never to be heard from again.

Back in 1999, when I didn't know much about TM's and domains, I used to own bathandbodyworks.com with the dashes and they tried to come and snatch me up. I cried out no, I'm sorry, I won't do it again. I'm young, I still have lots of life to live. They let me go. But they usually don't. I think they let me go to spread the message not to do it and try to save other young lives.

Last edited:
•••
There have been domainers here buying those types of domains only for that TM truck to come by and snatch them up, never to be heard from again
Good riddance!! It’s not like FB literally put registrars who hide FB TM infringement domains; out of business… FB is most aggressive; they dont mess around.

Last edited:
•••
Simply stay away form Copyright, TM etc domains, its not worth the time and money.
And not worth Damage to your name and the industry.

Last edited:
•••
its not META :))

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-24 um 06.29.33.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-24 um 06.29.33.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back