IT.COM

discuss Worst Legacy TLDs

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

What is the worst legacy TLD?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • .info

votes
    5.4%
  • .tel

votes
    51.4%
  • .biz

votes
    27.0%
  • .asia

votes
    10.8%
  • .mobi

votes
    59.5%
  • .name

votes
    24.3%
  • .pro

vote
    2.7%
  • .jobs

votes
    10.8%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
Are the following considered the worst legacy TLDs* at the moment?
.biz
.mobi
.tel

Is there any chance that you see any domain in the above extensions and say "wow good domain"?

.biz is the worst IMO, I just saw Hours.biz in a droplist and passed over it without thinking, I can't imagine any domain name with .biz that I can see as valuable! maybe except 1 letter names only.

One thing I am curious about is that all legacy TLDs that came after (.com, .org, .net) failed except few ones such as (.info, .pro) will the same thing happen with new gTLD? Few new gTLDs are successful such as (.online, .website, .club) but the majority of them failed so far.

*Note: legacy TLD is a registry that predates Round One of the New gTLD program

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have sold many single word and LLL .biz.

I think .tel and .mobi are the worst by a mile. There was never a point to either of them.

Brad

•••
What about .asia?

I would think that one would be the worst.

•••
.tel and .mobi from that list

•••
I have sold many single word and LLL .biz.

I think .tel and .mobi are the worst by a mile. There was never a point to either of them.

Brad

Namebio shows 23 sales for .tel only! compated with 2029 sales for .mobi and 2034 for .biz

You are right .tel is much worse!

Last edited:
•••
I have edited the Poll you can now select multiple choices.

•••
•••
.Biz has close to two million registrations - more than 99% of the newer extensions so it must be a success, right? There have been occasional sales and some small businesses use it. But it has generally been a horrible extension for investors. It was a choice for small businesses or developers who did not want to pay for an aftermarket domain. It is not a first or second or third choice. Ditto for the vast majority of newer extensions.

•••
I am sure some will bite the dust but these will still out last some of the others i renewed a couple of names where I have best couple of names in the extension and cant see anything really going for the rest. See what happens over time but I am aware of risks,

•••
now, it is time change to ngtld, another battlefield...imo.forget or drop .biz .mobi .tel....

•••
now, it is time change to ngtld, another battlefield...imo.forget or drop .biz .mobi .tel....
we're not talking about newtld here! A couple of these older TLD listed have a lot of potential even though they have mostly failed so far.

•••
.MOBI and .TEL

These need to be scrubbed.

•••
What about .ws ??? I remember a few years ago I sold vehicle.ws for like 60 bucks at auction and was blown out of my socks that it sold for anything. I don’t know many good sites that use it.

•••
WOW Good domains high.tel nytime.biz show me yours.

•••
All those are very weak except .PRO
And except .info related to German and French market...

•••
.biz, .tel and .mobi = bleurgh. The others all have more clearly defined uses and don't look or sound ridiculous.

.tel arrived 15 years too late.

.biz is horrific from my European English speaker's point-of-view, I don't know if you American English speakers are more forgiving, but it looks infantile. That said, there are one or two I'd say hold intrinsic value such as the example I give below...

I can't imagine any domain name with .biz that I can see as valuable! maybe except 1 letter names only.

show.biz? :xf.grin:

•••
.biz is a great domain extension specially if your business is in business niche.

•••
It's not the worst, but .ws is obviously hurting. Toronto.ws is available for $9 plus renewal right now at Godaddy.

•••
it has to be .mobi. ::shudder::

•••
just look at them, imo, only .info, .pro make a little sense..even then .info is too web 1.0 as it mainly means providing information, .pro seems narrow to personal expert...better quit from all of them asap

•••
.mobi, man what a terrible extension.

•••
Schilling, Famous Four trash Spamhaus "most noticeably awful TLD" group spam-battling association's as of late propelled World's Worst TLDs list is "foolhardy" PS: Not just are heritage TLDs completely extraordinary as an open trust,

•••
Back