Dynadot

Word of Advice Thread

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Please share the best tip you feel comfortable sharing.

• Start small
  • Most of the time, freshly registered names aren't worth much
  • Sell to end users, not domainers

Hopefully we can get a nice little list. If you want to expand on an idea you made, please do so out of your initial list; this will keep the thread looking clean as well as providing helpful info.

Peter

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I guess that a lot of us were really confused at the very start so it's better to ask twice than to make mistakes !

you know it ;)

•••
Great source of information here, thanks for those who shared the info.

•••
Have been reading the advice from all of you and find it very informative..I am a newbie and my son has been domaining for several years.. He has given me the same advice as I have read here..He is allowing me to learn on my own yet he is there to guide me as I need it.. He says the best thing for me is to get involved with this forum and get my name out there.. to get to know the other domainers on this forum and if i have questions to ask the forum.. that is what u guys arethere for he says.. so I am reading and trying to get my name known.. and he says to study and research all I can.. read, read, read..so thanks for all the good advice.. Happy Domaining to all of you

•••
Have been reading the advice from all of you and find it very informative..I am a newbie and my son has been domaining for several years.. He has given me the same advice as I have read here..He is allowing me to learn on my own yet he is there to guide me as I need it.. He says the best thing for me is to get involved with this forum and get my name out there.. to get to know the other domainers on this forum and if i have questions to ask the forum.. that is what u guys arethere for he says.. so I am reading and trying to get my name known.. and he says to study and research all I can.. read, read, read..so thanks for all the good advice.. Happy Domaining to all of you

you know one can stay one step ahead only if they keep self up-to-date & keep on reading about stuff relevant or related to our interest.. oh btw, welcome to NamePros and ask away whatever question you might have regarding domain names & websites.

You're at the right place, NP Community members are helpful lot :kickass: :hehe:

•••
The thing I learned lately that it pays to shop around where you "park" your domains. Some sites pay alot better than others.

•••
The thing I learned lately that it pays to shop around where you "park" your domains. Some sites pay alot better than others.

How do you shop at your parking company?

•••
I have no idea what "shop" at your parking company means. You lost me there. If you read any posts there is others stating that their domains have better payouts being parked at different places. I'm running trials at several different parking companies myself. Everyone knows about sedo but there is other places to park them. Do some research.

•••
I have no idea what "shop" at your parking company means. You lost me there. If you read any posts there is others stating that their domains have better payouts being parked at different places. I'm running trials at several different parking companies myself. Everyone knows about sedo but there is other places to park them. Do some research.

oh shop around for parking companies.. I get it now, sorry for being lil slow!!

•••
How does parking work and where should I start at 'shopping around'? What do I look for? I am new at this so all the advice you can give will help. Thanks.

•••
How does parking work and where should I start at 'shopping around'? What do I look for? I am new at this so all the advice you can give will help. Thanks.

You can start parking your domain names with parked.com (mind you, they seek higher quality domains to approve your application), sedo.com (payout is very less), google adsense, namedrive.com, domainsponsor.com, parkingrevolution.com, fabulous.com domain parking, skenzo.com etc..

Few important things that you need to look for are; payout percentage and reliability. Try known parking companies so that you dont get ripped off for your money. Rest you shall learn as you go..

•••
Some of them like to host high traffic domains only. What's the best sale you heard lately? I read call (dot) com went for 1.1 million. Has there been any better ones lately?

•••
I discovered this site about two weeks ago and I extremely thankful to all of you for the great advice. I have read and learned a lot. Great honest advice on all threads. Thanks!

•••
this is simply a great thread...thanks for all the advices shared..I have learned a lot here though I have nothing to offer..that is a piece of valued advice...as am still a beginner and learning from sources..thanks to all...happy to be a part

•••
I am a newbie to this work so thanks for all the information..........it will be really useful for me

•••
im not an expert but learning to be patience and it takes time

•••
my words of advice are:

1)use google keyword tool at ALL times when considering purchasing a domain. If no one is searching for the terms then no one is interested in the domain
2)dont get saturday night fever. I mean dont get excited when you find a name that is not regged, see point 1 again.

:)

•••
My piece of advice would be to advise newcomers to purchase domain names for the sole profit of making money with them. Either in reselling them to a end user, another domainer, or developing a site on them.

•••
1- keep reading and learning.
2- train yourself with little money and increase gradually, even you have big budget.
3- short domains is the most and easy sold.

•••
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to share such valuable advice. Domaining appears to be a steep but attainable and more importantly enjoyable learning curve.
In what appears to be such a competitive market it is refreshing to find genuine help and guidance rather than closed doors and secrecy.

I take my hat off to all who contribute to this excellent thread and hope in time to be able to give back some of what I have received.

Many thanks

•••
An advice its not that always you a buy a domain today and try sell the next day. Even if it doesn't sell try to build them. Choose appropriate domain names, sweet and short is key.

•••
I'm new Domaining but i guess it fits perfectly to this industry.

Do your 1% everyday.
Keep it simple but do it.
No excuses

•••
I'm still sort of a newbie myself, but there is one advice that I feel strongly about giving when it comes to hand registrations.

Each time you make a domain name availability check by performing searches using websites, your ideas can get stolen and the next time you check, the domain will be taken. This is called "DOMAIN NAME FRONT RUNNING". It does not happen all the time, but the fact that it can happen is enough for me to stay away from checking my domain ideas in my browser. Companies like NetworkSolutions are even doing this openly and justify it with twisted arguments about customer protection.

If I were you, I wouldn't trust any website and always use the whois service directly. This way you are removing the website as a middle man and tapping directly to the database. This can be done easily by opening a terminal/console and typing

whois [yourdomainidea].com

If there is no match, you are usually free to go. If there is a result, you should read up on interpreting the values for "Status" and "Expiration Date"

I might sound like a guy with a thin foil hat, but once I decide to buy a domain name, I buy it very quickly after performing the necessary search in my registrar.

•••
My Newbie Mistakes! Hopefully this will save the next newbie time and money:

• Purchasing Domains before fully learning and understanding the domain industry. My Advice: Spend Several weeks reading and learning before registering Domains ( Don't just read a little before purchasing domains, if so then expect to lose money.)
  • Over Pricing domains that holds no value. My Advice: Learn what's makes a domain valuable, just because it sounds good to you don't make it valuable.
  • Lack of Patience! My Advice: Patience is a virtue in this industry, good things come to those who wait.
  • Not having a mentor. My Advice: Get some one who is already doing what you are trying to do and learn from them. (Namepros has some friendly members that in some cases don't mind offering a little advice to newbies.)

•••
......thanks for the heads up guys.
Fractionally late for me but no damage done yet. I dabbled without research and reading but hopefully some of my domains will have legs.
Newbies....heed this advice from these guys!
Great advice here.
I might post one or two in the appraisal section and get my ass kicked!!!....lol

Gareth.

•••
What's a good domain anyways? There are hundreds of lousy names owned by old timers yet to be sold and likely will never be sold. Most domainers offering advise will hardly accept, only a tiny fraction of their own names will ever get sold, and for a profit, for that matter. Unless one owes money (on domains sold) to the IRS during tax time, none of you are doing well, let alone a newbie. Fact.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back