Dynadot

debate Will .xyz flourish in 2019?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Laguna

Top Member
Impact
What are your thoughts on .xyz in the coming year or two ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Some guy is selling them for 10$ each here, he would take 2
This extension is doa, we killed it before normal people even knew what it was. Registry killed it too.
Spammers killed it. Having it's email blacklisted didn't help. I guess you don't value time, and those dollars you could feed a homeless person, not some registry.
Go out into the street and find some real life business using this extension, come back and post when you do
I guess you don't value time, and those dollars you could feed a homeless person, not some registry.
I take it you have never wasted your time and money on a domain ? Get real !

•••
Spammers killed it. Having it's email blacklisted didn't help.

You do realize the Spamhaus abuse score for xyz and com are essentially identical at 0.92 and 0.95 and for most of 2018 and late 2017 .xyz was better than .com? (today very slightly worse at 0.95). Maybe there is still time to edit your post.

•••
Some guy is selling them for 10$ each here, he would take 2
This extension is doa, we killed it before normal people even knew what it was. Registry killed it too.
Spammers killed it. Having it's email blacklisted didn't help. I guess you don't value time, and those dollars you could feed a homeless person, not some registry.
Go out into the street and find some real life business using this extension, come back and post when you do
No doubt that spammers have hurt this extension beyond repair. That is a direct result of practically giving domains away at $.01 to expand the registration numbers. Sure the registration numbers grew, but the spammers did as well.

From my experience, I have not found an end user using this extension. Although, my spam folder is full of .xyz. In fact, from my experience, .xyz is the only New Gtld extension I have found in my spam folder.

•••
I am not going to edit it. Maybe spammers stop using it because xyz goes to spam automatically by email providers. I will admit i get more spam from .com than .xyz. Maybe it's not appealing to those trying to scam.
Their not dumb. I know I spent about 20$ on xyz and sold one for 200
The end4.me. Go find some end users, ask people on street about xyz
Go find the xyz threads here and bring them back from the dead

•••
You do realize the Spamhaus abuse score for xyz and com are essentially identical at 0.92 and 0.95 and for most of 2018 and late 2017 .xyz was better than .com? (today very slightly worse at 0.95). Maybe there is still time to edit your post.
I really question the accuracy of that.

•••
I have never received spam from new gTLD extension....and I get tons of spam from .com and .ru domains...maybe it is a local thing when you are located at EU, who knows.

Also I have another observation: the more .com domain names you own, the more spam from new gTLDs you get (at least from what is reported by users on this forum) :)

•••
Personally I have only once ever got spam from xyz, only a handful of times over the past two years from one or two other ngTLDs. Daily I get a dozen or more from .com.

But I don't think my anecdotal experience is relevant. The Spamhaus people protect billions of email accounts, have a staff of I think about 20 and have been in business for almost two decades. When I want abuse information I trust their numbers.

I don't doubt that the penny give away almost 5 years ago was stupid and spiked spam. But for literally years xyz has had very respectable abuse numbers. I think that is what is relevant information.

BTW I am not a significant investor in .xyz with less than one Christmas donation invested in total across a handful of names. It just bothers me when outdated and inaccurate information is repeated so I do my part to try to correct it.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
Personally I have only once ever got spam from xyz, only a handful of times over the past two years from one or two other ngTLDs. Daily I get a dozen or more from .com.

But I don't think my anecdotal experience is relevant. The Spamhaus people protect billions of email accounts, have a staff of I think about 20 and have been in business for almost two decades. When I want abuse information I trust their numbers.

I don't doubt that the penny give away almost 5 years ago was stupid and spiked spam. But for literally years xyz has had very respectable abuse numbers. I think that is what is relevant information.

BTW I am not a significant investor in .xyz with less than one Christmas donation invested in total across a handful of names. It just bothers me when outdated and inaccurate information is repeated so I do my part to try to correct it.

Bob
I was speaking from my experience, which is very different from the Spamhaus numbers. I have no dog in the hunt and wish those that choose to invest in ..xyz all the best.

•••
•••
I only see one guy here who sells xyz for any real money (I never verified the sales.)

Also I can get .com for $1 so will not buy xyz for $1 (or half that.)

•••
•••
About half of the .xyz sales in NameBio are 4 characters or less. Agree with those who say single words or short acronyms or numbers most likely sales.

They were fake Chinese auctions from 3 years ago.

•••
•••
Trouble with DOT X Y Z you are into pronouncing almost,similar to a four syllable string without adding any clarity with that mouthful, Sure a keyword registration already delivers.that clarity, but its still a long verbal string. Might just as well go back to a two or three word .com

Yep 'abc.xyz' was probably the only worthwhile one out there

Last edited:
•••
In addition: I would stay away from word1word2 names, definitely, very slim chances of resale in 2018.

I hate to be THAT guy but his chances are extremely slim in 2018 given there is only 1 day left of it.

Who am I kidding I LOVE to be that guy lol.

As for .xyz domains I have never invested in them but for $1 per, it is worth a shot if you set a realistic target compared to the amount you invested.

•••
Here is an article for amusement. Konstantinos tells it like it is.

“This is a huge block of absolutely useless domains presented like a deal with apparent justification other than vaguely comparing these .xyz domains with Bitcoin that is simply ridiculous and everyone involved knows that. Including Frank Schilling. I will not even get into this… “

“It seems that people in this industry will say anything to make a quick buck. Or $0.99. Does anyone cares about credibility in the domain name industry anymore? From what I have seen in the past few months apparently no one cares.”

Most of these domains have no value in .com so they have zero (0) value in a bad New gTLD extension such as .XYZ.

I wouldn’t take these domains in they were free. I would take them if someone paid me and that is to store them until they expire so no one buys them even by accident.

And this above is the reason I am one the few domain name blogs that never had Uniregistry as a sponsor (among others).

https://onlinedomain.com/2017/05/31...mains-doesnt-anyone-care-credibility-anymore/

•••
.xyz does not have a general meaning, but has different meanings to different people.

To Chinese, .xyz has the following meanings that are originated from Chinese Pinyin acronyms:
1. Little Universe
2. New Asia
3. Believer
4. The Next Chapter
(Source: https://gen.xyz/blog/whatisxyz)

To other people including me, .xyz can refer to 3D (i.e. x, y, z coordinates). Some 3D related businesses are using .xyz as their websites. For examples, vrtracker/xyz (3D position tracking for virtual reality), atlas3d/xyz (3D software), 3dtek/xyz (3D printer), techart/xyz (3D prototyping and visualisation), umake/xyz (3D CAD modeling) and dimension4/xyz (3D printing). .xyz is the only extension that can represent 3D. I own model/xyz and would like to sell it to 3D models related businesses.

If a keyword can fit one of the above meanings, I believe the domain should be sold well.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Thank you for the very informative post, @henrypcyeung ! Lots of great examples!
I see the main applications will be:
  1. 3D along the lines you suggest (I had not realized so much had already happened in that)
  2. xyz as a generic sort of .info type extension for information on a topic (from A to Z)
  3. literacy type applications, like could see it good for children's books, apps etc. building on alphabet idea.
  4. applications where a keyword is available within price range (mainly single word)
What I am less sure but I think it is possible we will begin to see more companies do brandables in .xyz, maybe startups with very little funds but like the idea that Alphabet use it for investor documents, and that there are about 2264 sites in Alexa 1M (1 per 871 registrations, not as good as .com but better than most extensions) they see it being used by companies and that they can get a short name and that xyz has no favoured language, region or culture.

The promoters like it as generation xyz applications but frankly I don't see that as meaning much.

Anyway, thanks for the superb 3D real use cases.I tried to find some names that would be good for 3D positioning a few months ago, but everything I tried seemed gone.

Bob

•••
.xyz does not have a general meaning, but has different meanings to different people.

To Chinese, .xyz has the following meanings that are originated from Chinese Pinyin acronyms:
1. Little Universe
2. New Asia
3. Believer
4. The Next Chapter
(Source:

To other people including me, .xyz can refer to 3D (i.e. x, y, z coordinates). Some 3D related businesses are using .xyz as their websites. For examples, vrtracker/xyz (3D position tracking for virtual reality), atlas3d/xyz (3D software), 3dtek/xyz (3D printer), techart/xyz (3D prototyping and visualisation), umake/xyz (3D CAD modeling) and dimension4/xyz (3D printing). .xyz is the only extension that can represent 3D. I own model/xyz and would like to sell it to 3D models related businesses.

If a keyword can fit one of the above meanings, I believe the domain should be sold well.

All nonsense, you are buying .xyz because of all this made up stuff?

•••
When they came out with the 1 cent promo, I thought they dropped down the value to a pathetic amount. I lost my faith in xyz. I did like it (the extension) because many people hated it.

Having said that, I do have 1.
3-D

•••
I'm sure Einstein would've loved it

•••

This is an interesting challenge to apply to any extension outside the big ones. I like your idea because it does force us to actually go beyond simply how many Alexa 1M there are, to ask "Are there meaningful companies in our local area using an extension." We all know that many sites in the second half of the Alexa 1M are aggregator "news" and video "sharing" sites that we don't necessarily view in a positive way.

I don't know .xyz as well as extensions I invest in regularly (and only 0.8% of .xyz registrations are in Canada so this is not a major market for it), but here goes for my answer to the bit broader question: Do you see locally or personally use any organization/business that employs .xyz?
  • In my small city, I could not think of a local business that I recall using .xyz. I'm not saying there are not any, but I can't list any.
  • However, if I go to the nearest sizeable city in my province (Vancouver) it is easy to find examples. Probably the most prominent is rise.xyz which is still redirecting to their earlier RisePeople.com site but they do use xyz and simpler rise in promotion. Rise (formerly RisePeople) are a people oriented HR resources company founded in 2011, listed in Bloomberg, could not find the exact number of employees but I think at least 100. So within 55 km is a major company using an .xyz.
  • What about companies whose services I have considered or used? The best example is the domain registrar west.xyz. It is the English language site of one of the big Chinese registrars, but serve in English a global community and have good prices on many extensions and an easy to use website similar to the western registrar. I probably visit their site at least every few days.
  • I no longer review stock information as often as I did a few years ago, but I do consult the investor letters for Google at abc.xyz, so it is another site that I use at least a few times a year.
Thank you for the challenge @MasterOfMyDomains ! I think it is an excellent test to use for any thinly traded extension when trying to assess its impact and potential. I may even develop the idea into a longer piece sometime.

Bob

•••
Good luck to all investing in .xyz!

The few I have, if not bought by renewal time, will be dropped

I will not be one competing for .xyz names in 2019.
Hasta La Vista .xyz:-P

•••
Flourish.xyz is for sale at $4,995.

Owner is a Chinese national.

nice domain, probably the renewal is around $600-$1,200.

Not so nice domain after all.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back