IT.COM

discuss Will there ever be a .emoji gTLD? ie example.☮️ | example.♋ | etc.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Chris Hydrick

Top Member
Impact
EDIT: Will there ever be a day - when emoji's will replace .coms? Struck through due to poor choice of words on my part. Clickbait-ish

OK - that's a streeeeetch. But just as every new gTLD supposedly has it's use, could there ever be .emoji trends or do the XN-- make it technically impossible at present time?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Interesting assertion here. My rebuttal is Trademarks are typically word marks. The character marks (assumingly) are limited to their TM.

Would Fairy.com (or Show attachment 63997.com infringe on the PoopFairy trademark? My guess is no because the character marks are not identical. However, can you even TM a company using an emojis? (Not sure if emoji's are someone's intellectual property)

Show attachment 63996

(Maybe a bad example because PoopFairy.com is parked -- I wanted to use the poop emoji for this example so I search TM's for Poop)

Tagging NP resident lawyer in case he cares to comment when he's done biking the country for charity. @jberryhill
Can't imagine any trademark infringement unless using emoji art created by others.

•••
For now. ICANN should do what is right for consumers.

Speaking of doing right for the consumers - NamePros should allow emoji's in their text. I remember a thread about this, and personally wasn't happy with the outcome.

I have to copy and paste my posts as images if I want the emoji to appear - thus my text isn't indexed for internal search.

•••
EDIT: Will there ever be a day - when emoji's will replace .coms? Struck through due to poor choice of words on my part. Clickbait-ish

OK - that's a streeeeetch. But just as every new gTLD supposedly has it's use, could there ever be .emoji trends or do the XN-- make it technically impossible at present time?

That said, you can (in theory) do whatever you like at the second or third level of domains.

We offer registrations at the third level on domain names that make human readable phrases and we do allow emoji domains, but becuase we use "libidn2" we can't ENCODE emoji domains for you, you need to get them pre-encoded somewhere like https://www.punycoder.com/

So ಠ▃ಠ.for.men is fine :) ... xn--ysca622q.for.men

At the second level there may be restrictions in the ICANN contract with newGTLD operators that they will only sell IDNA2008 compliant names - I've never read one of the contracts, so I have no idea.

But many ccTLD's have not signed a contract with ICANN, so can set their own policy - hence they are the ones offering emoji domains at the moment.

The only fly in all that ointment is that if resolvers became widely INDA2008 compliant they would automatically block Emoji domains from working - however, as many emoji domains already exist, this seems unlikely - but is a risk.

•••
For now. ICANN should do what is right for consumers. If they allow these new extensions that they think add value, why would emojis which to me is much more compelling.

I *TOTALLY* agree - I think they would add more value than (say) dot-HORSE and I think the arguments that Patrik Fälström put forward were weak ... BUT he is very well known and respected in those circles, so (IMHO) you'd need a strong ally if you want to overturn that policy.

•••
Speaking of doing right for the consumers - NamePros should allow emoji's in their text. I remember a thread about this, and personally wasn't happy with the outcome.

I have to copy and paste my posts as images if I want the emoji to appear - thus my text isn't indexed for internal search.
@Eric Lyon Is this possible? Thanks!

•••
•••
Do you know there are hieroglyph domains now? See at the bottom of http://URLs.org

The reply I got from the DNS community on Egyptian Hieroglyphs was this ...

Me: "Why are Egyptian Hieroglyphs allowed and not emojis?"

"That's because they're letters. Hieroglyphs, in particular, do not
have presentation modes that are entirely up to the implementer, and
they don't have the coloration business, and they have normalization
forms (though IIRC the hieroglyphs are sufficiently clean that they
don't need normalization). Emojis, on the other hand, do not have any
of those tricks, so you can't tell whether a face with a dark skin
tone is a distinct identifier to the yellow one (for a simple and
obviously troublesome example)."

I'd summarise that as "lack of standards in presentation" - i.e. you never know if what you wrote is going to be what the other person sees.

This sounds like an easily solved problem to me

•••
The reply I got from the DNS community on Egyptian Hieroglyphs was this ...

Me: "Why are Egyptian Hieroglyphs allowed and not emojis?"

"That's because they're letters. Hieroglyphs, in particular, do not
have presentation modes that are entirely up to the implementer, and
they don't have the coloration business, and they have normalization
forms (though IIRC the hieroglyphs are sufficiently clean that they
don't need normalization). Emojis, on the other hand, do not have any
of those tricks, so you can't tell whether a face with a dark skin
tone is a distinct identifier to the yellow one (for a simple and
obviously troublesome example)."

I'd summarise that as "lack of standards in presentation" - i.e. you never know if what you wrote is going to be what the other person sees.

This sounds like an easily solved problem to me

Yes I agree standardization can be done if everyone agrees, and hence both our problem and solution.

•••
We've seen crazier things happen in the past few years w/the addition of some absolutely crazy TLD's.
If some group of people have spent lots of time and real money into creating many far out TLD's, well let's take a TLD like ".horse", then I honestly believe an emoji to the right of the dot is possible. All it takes is money and time, and if people expect a great ROI for that money and time invested, then - done.

If it did happen, out of the 2 options here, I would definitely rather see...
Clydesdale.(suppose to be a horse pic here but didnt paste like someone posted earlier. WEird though because it posted in my reply box before hitting enter) ugh
rather than
Clydesdale.horse

I just can't imagine the meetings people had when coming up with some of these. Saying hey, lets make a dot - horse or whatever...
It's gonna be huge!
Yes - I'm in. Heres a bag of cash I will invest in with you, but save RealEstate.horse for me though.

So in domaining I guess you can never say never.

Vito

Last edited:
•••
We've seen crazier things happen in the past few years w/the addition of some absolutely crazy TLD's.
If some group of people have spent lots of time and real money into creating many far out TLD's, well let's take a TLD like ".horse", then I honestly believe an emoji to the right of the dot is possible. All it takes is money and time, and if people expect a great ROI for that money and time invested, then - done.

If it did happen, out of the 2 options here, I would definitely rather see...
Clydesdale.(suppose to be a horse pic here but didnt paste like someone posted earlier. WEird though because it posted in my reply box before hitting enter) ugh
rather than
Clydesdale.horse

I just can't imagine the meetings people had when coming up with some of these. Saying hey, lets make a dot - horse or whatever...
It's gonna be huge!
Yes - I'm in. Heres a bag of cash I will invest in with you, but save RealEstate.horse for me though.

So in domaining I guess you can never say never.

Vito
Too late, I've already registered real estate.horse . I'm a big Secretariat fan btw

•••
so right now ICANN Security Committee says no to emoji tlds, and i think thats probably correct.

The reason is no one really understands the possibilities and pitfalls when you mix color and graphics in an ASCII world.

Yes ot the above posts that emoji dont replace .com, they just give something so cool left of the dot, that you put up with the new thing right of the dot, like .ws

The public doesnt mind, look how they took to the @ on twitter, the # and other extras, you do what you have to.

but please open your minds on emoji, they arent english but the second language for every country globally, and already on keyboards on smartphones, and IOS

but if you have a windows keyboard and a android smartphone , or are over 40 you may have no idea how much these are used.

and as shorteners you communicate so much in 1-2-34 characters.

so right now its shorterner value plus new cool value, plus conversation topic, id rather have then waiting for 2257933.com to realize its potential

Welcome aboard all

Page Howe

•••
Always enjoy reading your posts Page

•••
This reminds me about some recent jokes about people talking hashtags :D There is already a funny situation with SMSs containing only smilies/emojis. If we move to emoji internet, people are gonna forget their languages and return to cave drawings.
Life coming full circle.:)

Well, our most valuable asset is time- we can't make it, we can only use it. And once we use it, we can't get it back. So we are constantly streamlining our use of it. In mobile communicating, usually we just want to get our point across quickly and efficiently. Emojis certainly solve this. I much prefer a couple character emojis then the illegible short-form typing habits a lot of these millennials have gotten into.

•••
This discussion seems to have split into 2 topics.

1- The validity, worthyness, usabilty of emoji's in domains (on either side). To which I say:

I'm pretty sure the cloud domain in question was likely a .ws IDN.

The huge factor one needs to remember is that windows keyboards are not emoji friendly .. so a company could/should never use an emoji domain as their main website. They will also run into email issues as they aren't supported everywhere.

Also note that emoji domains are not currently available for .com, and for most main TLD's .. the most common TLD that supports emojis is .ws. Note that I think a small number of .com emoji domains exist and are grandfathered from before emoji .com's were blocked.

So with that being said .. I still do think that emoji domains could have significant value as marketing/forwarding domains. What holds me back is not the emoji part of the domain .. but the .ws .. I'm not against holding ultra-premium keyword .ws domains as they have a relative liquid value (even if it's a small fraction of the equivalent .com).

However the problem here is that emoji domains currently are not available in .com so that is artificially inflating .ws emoji prices because the .ws version is more or less "unique". To hold the only :) or <3 domain is worth something .. but the moment emoji's become available in .com I personally think the relative .ws emoji price will melt.

That being said .. without hesitation, I'd certainly pay $xxx for the most common SINGLE CHARACTER emojis in .ws .. and I'd say common SINGLE EMOJI .com domains will certainly be worth $xxxx and up for the ultra common ones.

One important warning however .. I know emoji's are "evolving" .. the recent standards I think do not includes colour variants .. but I think that is supposed to change .. so emoji that eventually gets multiple skin-tone versions will see their value deteriorate as that domain will bleed traffic to the variant skin-tones.

@DomainSherpa did a show on these domains recently .. I'd highly advice anyone thinking of getting an emoji domain to check out the show BEFORE buying.

In the end I think some cool stuff can be done with emoji domains .. certainly some smart advertising campaigns ... but the lack of emojis on the standard PC keyboard will always hold these back to some degree .. if/when they become available and usable in .com that's when I'd take a 2nd look. Otherwise I'd only be interested in getting ultra common single emoji domains in .ws (I don't own any).

2- If there will ever be a ".emoji" extension?

I think the bigger question than if it would be possible ... is if it would be viable? Forget all the technical aspects .. I don't think it's going to happen purely for economic reasons. At this point even for a monster registry owner with multiple TLD's and very efficient/minimal overhead, you likely still need about $10 million in revenue in the first 10 years to break even. From a purely market demand perspective I don't see this ever being possible for the foreseeable future. Sorry to burst your *Instert Bubble Emoji Here*

•••
•••
•••
Interesting assertion here. My rebuttal is Trademarks are typically word marks. The character marks (assumingly) are limited to their logo.

Show attachment 63998
Show attachment 63996

(Maybe a bad example because PoopFairy.com is parked -- I wanted to use the poop emoji for this example so I search TM's for Poop)

Tagging NP resident lawyer in case he cares to comment when he's done biking the country for charity. @jberryhill
I Guess another factor that could squash a TM infringment would be that a picture or symbol can be interpreted differently from person to person. So for your example you could say its not poopfairy but crapwhisp or shitpixy (both of which make me laugh like a child). My point is a picture holds a thousand words and can be read in as many ways.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back