Dynadot

Will I run into problems with buying expired domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Stevemartin2

Established Member
Impact
Hi there,

I am going to buy a domain through expired auction. I checked the domain and found it is non-profit project before, may I know if it is possible to use the domain or if the previous owner will claim it back?

Thank you for your help!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi there,

I am going to buy a domain through expired auction. I checked the domain and found it is non-profit project before, may I know if it is possible to use the domain or if the previous owner will claim it back?

Thank you for your help!
I don't think anyone here is going to tell you its completely safe to buy any expired domain without an owner wanting it back since if you think about it many expired domains were formerly owned by some type of company, non-profit, for-profit, LLC, etc. Some forgot to renew, others didn't update their WHOIS and never got notified, some went out of business, some had multiple domains and let some go, etc. etc. As far as non-profit companies, I never lost one to a UDRP (only some for-profit companies), but buying a non-profit company domain is no guarantee they may try to file one. Usually what happens if a former owner wants it back is they will contact the WHOIS information (phone or e-mail), tell you some story about why they accidentally let the domain expire and either ask for it back or ask how you got it in the first place. I get those all the time. My response to them is Sorry I don't deal directly with former owners and if they are interested in a domain to please contact a domain Broker such as Godaddy to make an offer. The other option if you're parking it is to use a for sale banner, use DAN or other method. Remember that to file a UDRP against you is going to cost a former owner around $2,000 USD minimum with some legal help so you can always counter for less than that if you get approached by a broker. Usually I don't hear from them again.

•••
I don't think anyone here is going to tell you its completely safe to buy any expired domain without an owner wanting it back since if you think about it many expired domains were formerly owned by some type of company, non-profit, for-profit, LLC, etc. Some forgot to renew, others didn't update their WHOIS and never got notified, some went out of business, some had multiple domains and let some go, etc. etc. As far as non-profit companies, I never lost one to a UDRP (only some for-profit companies), but buying a non-profit company domain is no guarantee they may try to file one. Usually what happens if a former owner wants it back is they will contact the WHOIS information (phone or e-mail), tell you some story about why they accidentally let the domain expire and either ask for it back or ask how you got it in the first place. I get those all the time. My response to them is Sorry I don't deal directly with former owners and if they are interested in a domain to please contact a domain Broker such as Godaddy to make an offer. The other option if you're parking it is to use a for sale banner, use DAN or other method. Remember that to file a UDRP against you is going to cost a former owner around $2,000 USD minimum with some legal help so you can always counter for less than that if you get approached by a broker. Usually I don't hear from them again.

Thank you so much for your thoughts. what is the worst case do you think, will i get into legal problems or being sued for stealing their domain?

Thank you so much as I plan to use the domain for a quite similar niche.

•••
Thank you so much for your thoughts. what is the worst case do you think, will i get into legal problems or being sued for stealing their domain?

It's really difficult to assess without knowing the exact domain name. And even with the domain name, a proper (maybe professional) investigation is important.

Imo, when you're in doubt and don't have the experience with these legal/udrp things, you should look for another domain.

Finally, you asked about "what is the worst case?" That's Legal Action. Non-profits will do this as well, and often they have deep pockets.

•••

99.9% of the time you will never hear from them. If it's a trademark domain that's another story - much riskier - If you're not sure Google Basic Trademark Search and see if its there and if its still active. If so, I would not register it (assuming it's a US domain). If you do hear from them refer them to a Broker. If you end up getting a UDRP worst case is you lose the domain. The absolute worst case is a lawsuit (which happened to me once and I needed to hire an attorney to settle). There's always a risk with an expired domain, but in my experience if you stay away from Trademarks its a low risk....

•••
99.9% of the time you will never hear from them. If it's a trademark domain that's another story - much riskier - If you're not sure Google Basic Trademark Search and see if its there and if its still active. If so, I would not register it (assuming it's a US domain). If you do hear from them refer them to a Broker. If you end up getting a UDRP worst case is you lose the domain. The absolute worst case is a lawsuit (which happened to me once and I needed to hire an attorney to settle). There's always a risk with an expired domain, but in my experience if you stay away from Trademarks its a low risk....

Thanks so much.

Yes, I already check the domain profile and it is not in the trademark database.

About your case, you got a lawsuit, it is because you did not give domain back or even you agreed to give the domain back and they still sue you?

my apologies for all questions.

•••
99.9% of the time you will never hear from them.

It depends.

Some people register tricky domains all the time, others stay away from it. The percentage will vary.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks so much.

Yes, I already check the domain profile and it is not in the trademark database.

About your case, you got a lawsuit, it is because you did not give domain back or even you agreed to give the domain back and they still sue you?

my apologies for all questions.
Sorry not getting into details, nor the possibilities of cease and desist orders, lawsuits, etc. I'll just leave it in in the very unlikely case that ever happens to you get an attorney...They are your friend ;)

•••
The legality of a domain name is important, so find out if the domain name has been contaminated
Like some domain name that have done someting illegal in the website, if you buy the name ,it makes nothing
hope it helps:xf.smile:

•••
the good thing is you can always google results before buying the expired domains. Nothing is guaranteed. Even established businesses with running websites get UDRP notices.

•••
Former owners are the worst. I always ignore them hoping they go away. Probably not the best strategy business-wise but I think it's healthier and also safer in the unlikely case that they go to court.

•••
If by trouble your referring to backlinks well that is all repairable but the real issue wil be you buying into stats that are not real be sure to check using other sites the claims of alexa, backlinks etc as nearlly all are inaccurate on sales sites. You get to do what you want with your site providing your not infringing tms etc.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back