IT.COM

discuss Will handreg meaningful .com domains become impossible

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi everyone,

It's been long since I indulge in domains or web developing and I found that getting for a meaningful 2-word domain is getting ridiculously hard now in my recent searches.

E.g.
sports - dreamfootballer, fastfootball etc. are taken
Business - dreammarketer, findmarketing etc. are taken...

To be more specific, finding a meaningful .com domain for your site's niche is almost impossible to handreg now. Do you agree?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It is so mandatory to reg 2-word .com when so many other possibilities/TLDs or what???

•••
Some kind of orthodox religion...

•••
It is so mandatory to reg 2-word .com when so many other possibilities/TLDs or what???

Imo, .com is still much preferred and 1-2 words domains are easy to remember while making sense (meaningful).

Unless you reckon brandable names are alternatives?

•••
ANY quality domain is easy to remember...
People are NOT idiots... by default.

Last edited:
•••
Impossible=No
Harder than 2003=Yes as more eyeballs stalking expired inventory

•••
And most users even don't try to keep the domains in their heads... they just bookmark them.

•••
Hand regging meaningful 2 word domains is not impossible, but pretty difficult these days.

Any popular term has had about every combination of words registered at this point.

Generally your best hope at finding a decent hand reg is going to come from a very recent drop.

Of course it all depends on what you are searching for and how creative you are. I think creativeness and resourcefulness are the key to hand-regs.

So - I'd say impossible - no. Time-consuming - yes.

•••
•••
I think creativeness and resourcefulness are the key to hand-regs.

This is true, but the more creative you are the longer the wait to sell because it will take some time before an end user will come up with the same idea you had and want to reg it.

•••
My recent reg of DarkWebGuide.com had been on the dropped list for about a week when I picked it up.
The Darkweb and the Onion web are receiving increasing interest as the attempted clamp down on Bitcoin gains publicity. Censorship and demonetising of sites is also encouraging a shift way from the established Internet. I'm surprised that nobody botheredto pick it up.

There are plenty of names available, you just have to be aware of world changes, and be prepared to act quickly in some cases.

•••
It's getting harder and harder to find good domains due to the limited supply of possible combinations for domains (if only using .com) and the increasing amount of people searching for them.
Hopefully people will get used to using non .com TLDs more as it is getting annoying that so many great TLDs exist and I can't use them to their full potential.

•••
My wishlist is a mile long. :) If I could only buy all the great names on my list. :)

•••
•••
Occasional gems on expired list. Many on dropped lists if you want to pay a little more. But if you really want to make money, then you invest in a very good name at a price you think is undervalued, and then target end users - hopefully in a field you know something about. Good luck!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back