Dynadot

discuss Will domaining slow down for months/yrs?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Given the crisis we are in, businesses have suffered huge losses due to the slowdown, do you think people would be willing to buy domain names after they have recovered through this?

I think that maybe because they have suffered such huge losses by not doing business for days/months, when the commerce resumes, the disposable income with people and businesses may be less for them to invest in a domain name. They would invest in more mainstream things and hence, we may be looking at a slow down in sales, maybe low prices in auctions, more and better domain drops etc.

What is your take on this? Good time to buy domain names for 3-4 years?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I do think that could be the case. Domain names can surely be an investment for many businesses that require specific domain names. In the event furloughed employees remain unemployed, I can imagine some may try their hand at online businesses, but this assumes they have the capital on hand to even invest in such an idea....unlikely.

I don't think the market will change much from the stance of buying/sale/trade between domainers, but sales to businesses I would expect to fall.

•••
Not even close.

Vaccine likely less than year away!

China’s deaths have stopped

•••
We're in lockdown here now. This is surreal.

•••
We're in lockdown here now. This is surreal.

You're late.

UK was one of the last to accept this is a pandemic,

Welcome to the real world :xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
Businesses started shutting here a week or two ago, but up until now there's still been a few people around. Probably why BoJo felt he had to do this. Feels like a movie.

•••
I tend to believe more people will invest in money making sites while on lockdown and after. Prices/offers being made will probably be for lower amounts though.

•••
While on one side, businesses will take a big hit from this pandemic. But the online side of everything, from corporate businesses to personal blogs will be on a rise. As more and more people get stuck at their homes, they will resort to internet to fill their needs. Like buying groceries online (Depending on Level of permissions granted with the lock down in a region), Social needs (like face-time, zoom, skype to interact with friends and family), news and entertainment (Most streaming websites have already made adjustments to accommodate more traffic).

So overall, there will most likely be a drop in sales to end-users, in short term (6 months to 1 year), as businesses cut spending. But as we move to a more virtual world from the physical one, more businesses will go online. There will be more internet traffic/activity and the businesses that are already online will strengthen their presence. This could mean more sales, as everyone rush to move online in short term (6 months to 1 year).

All in all, it will vary depending on various other factors like stock markets, confidence of investors, geography, time-frame of release of a vaccine, etc. But there is hope that we will reach the end of the tunnel. We just have to take a leap of faith and adjust our strategies to what is currently working in the market, in contrast to what we may have been doing over the years (as the situation changes, we should adopt to what works best under given circumstances).

End of the day, every business "will be"/"has to" come online, irrespective of the current situation. Which means they need domains. What matters is that you buy domains, that people are will to buy (Have a market, good resale value, great potential). That sale might be today, maybe tomorrow, maybe after 4 years.

Domains have value in and of themselves. So if there are good drops right now, then buy them. Some people might be in a money crunch and sell their domains cheap to liquidate funds for emergency needs. Some might not want to hold their domains for a longer time than they had previously planned, due to changes in the market with this pandemic. So, if you see a great opportunity, buy. It is up to you, how you find the right buyer, or when you find the right buyer, or luckily they find you.

Domains are worth what some one is willing to pay for them. And that changes from time to time, you have to make sure you find the sweet spot. Whether this is the right time to sell, again depends how you price your domains, because higher prices might be harder to move right now.

(Our opinions may differ, I am only stating some of my personal opinions here.)

Stay Safe!

•••
Back