IT.COM

.co Will .CO be the next .COM or at least be a close second?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Josh R

Josh.coTop Member
Impact
I see .CO getting more and more popular. Any thoughts on whether it will pass .net .org etc etc

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would say it will become even more popular.

•••
I see .CO getting more and more popular. Any thoughts on whether it will pass .net .org etc etc

There is no next .com. And it'll probably get less popular with all these other new extensions coming out.

•••
Last edited:
•••
There is no next .com. And it'll probably get less popular with all these other new extensions coming out.

I would have to agree with this. With all the new gTLD's coming out even .COM has lost some steam. Surely .CO isn't picking up any!

•••
If their .CO-registry is diminishing the RENEWAL PRICING..... THEN THEY MAY be a good competitor to .COM. Certainly for domains that are parked and for sale on .com at ENORMOUS prices.

FOR THE MOMENT I FIND THEIR POLICY of HIGHER RENEWALRATES THEN .COM A BIG MISTAKE.
The ceo said that this is because domainers wouldn't keep domains for several years, but even if this is the case => THE NEW TLD'S are coming. And that's already busy and is indeed a threat to .co.

Nevertheless => .CO is VERY INTERESTING. DID YOU KNOW THAT The registry of most NEW EXTENTIONS THAT CAME OUT (100) last months "DONUTS", chose for their site DONUTS.CO and NOT DONUTS.COM, always that one is parked and for sale. EVEN SUCH A BIG COMPANY CHOOSES.CO !!

•••
It's true that all existing tld's have been impacted to an extent by the appearance of all these new gtld's. With .com being the least affected. Will .co ever overtake .com. NO. But I do see a place for .co in this new landscape. It is uniquely positioned to cater for corporations, and not just Colombian corporations. Also, there are many startups which have chosen .co as their main tld. So IMHO, .co will still be around in 10 years, unlike some of these new gtld's.

•••
I think for .co, the value is usually on one word names as it is easy to say as it has a nice ring to it .
Vine.co also uses a .co which is quite good publicity

http://www.go.co/case-studies/

•••
The answer to your question is the title of a Boomtown Rats song.

"Never in a Million Years"

•••
Of course it wont be a .com but at least it will be a popular alternative for startups like .io

•••
•••
•••
I love .co and it's pretty much the only other extension I've invested in besides .com. Truth to be told,i have yet to make my first .co sale (did had some offers however).

•••
.co is already dying a slow death compared to 6 months ago, if you own some premium keywords, you can make some money from them, buy the amount of sales happening now compared to a little while ago is an indication of where its going

•••
So .co is worse than .org?

•••
No. It is a repurposed ccTLD and a truckstop TLD at best.

Regards...jmcc

•••
•••
•••
I may have had bad luck with .CO but I haven't been able to sell a single .CO to an end user and I've owned some decent keywords. I never like .CO because to me it always came across as a typo of .com

•••
I do not agree.
I've carried out web usage surveys on the ccTLD and that is what it looks like. I don't look at TLDs just as a domainer.

Regards...jmcc

•••
•••
•••
Seems like a complete waste of $. I mean who wants to build a brand on a .co and then have traffic go to .com.

•••
.com will remain the king.

The emerging markets, mass audience still cannot differentiate between .com and .co .

.co is a niche market, which can only be targetted towards a niche and advanced audience.

It will work for tech industry (just like how .io has been working) but not for mass market such as (shopify.com )

Mass market will tend to go to .com if you advertise .co ! Its gonna take a few years

•••
Seems like a complete waste of $. I mean who wants to build a brand on a .co and then have traffic go to .com.
Vine.co
Global Rank
icon_tip.4f0ae04e390da581fff1a3fa62e96860.png

globe-sm.d0f76e3d37b3db1f5de9a369b65ac33c.jpg
876 114
Rank in United States
icon_tip.4f0ae04e390da581fff1a3fa62e96860.png

us.968591e0050981be9fa94bd2597afb48.png

Rightside.co

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back