Dynadot

information Why you should only register emoji domains in the ".to" extension

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

xn--v4h.com

Emoji domains at Punycode.comEstablished Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Is he no longer here?

So yeh, same as question as Media Branding what the $#^! is the point of creating a discussion thread and your opening statement is just a link?

Please, do elaborate why we should only be after .TO? I have some myself, but don't see any advantage over .WS. The yearly renewals completely suck in the .to. Almost as bad as real esate in Toronto.

I love emojis as much as the next, but when your agenda is merely to link to your own site rather than collaborating right here, I'm no longer interested.

•••
Is he no longer here?

Not sure. @xn--v4h.com -- where art thou?

what the $#^! is the point of creating a discussion thread and your opening statement is just a link?

Is this really a question?

If so, there are many reasons:

(1) Drive continual traffic to his site through a link.

(2) Why rewrite or reformat what was already written.

(3) You can view their domains for sale.

(4) more.

Please, do elaborate why we should only be after .TO?
He explains why in the link. Yet, he contracts his headline by revealing an exception.
There are a few exceptions that apply to the country's locality such as [maple leaf emoji].ca and the rare connection such as [peach emoji].ga or [robot emoji].ai.

Granted, his exception includes the discontinued emoji ccTLD [.AI] and includes a ccTLD [.CA] that doesn't accept emoji domain registration, he does break his assertion with what he calls, a rare exception, within the Gabon ccTLD.

I have some myself, but don't see any advantage over .WS

IF, a domain is going to be used simply as a redirect, or an ad campaign, does it really need to be branded on a .website? Or, would .to be a better fit?

I think emojis that can be perceived as action words (or verbs) are suited for .TO. Take the plane emoji for example. What do you like more: .ws
or .to?

I like .to, because you fly to a destination, you don't fly ws your destination. However, if you were to copy the URL, and right click for redirection, you will see one too many to's.

upload_2018-1-15_0-31-21.png
VS
upload_2018-1-15_0-32-11.png

If you were to pitch an emoji domain with an emphasis of it being a redirect, I assume .TO would be easier for a prospective buyer to grasp, then the .WS extension. As these buyers, will put these emoji domains in front of their customer saying go to [example emoji].[ccTLD] to visit their domain. But if the brand is telling their customers to visit their new [example emoji].[ccTLD] website, then the sales pitch friction may be reversed.

The yearly renewals completely suck in the .to

Yeah they do. And buyer beware, when going on a reg spree this late in the game, before buying, ask yourself what use that domain could actually be used for. Even if it has novelty value, to whom, and in what capacity. As not every domain name has a use, and some ccTLDs are better fit for certain domains, while other ccTLDs may not be as fitting. For example...

⚽.ws --- looks great for a soccer website.

⚽.to --- looks great for a redirect. Pass the ⚽.to me.

And mind you, it's not all 🌈 & 🦄 with .WS renewals either. I assume the reg price to renewal price disparity, will yield much more drops (by percentage and volume) for emoji.ws domains compared to emoji.TO domains. I mean, $34.99 renewal at GoDaddy, or $21.99 with domain discount club (without WHOIS privacy) is about 4+ times more expensive than reg fee. Right now, you can basically register nine emoji.WS domains for ever one emoji.TO domain. However, those nine emoji.ws domain will carry at least a $200 annual renewal liability. So essentially, one could register four emoji .TO per nine emoji .WS domains when considering annual renewals, if holding.

when your agenda is merely to link to your own site rather than collaborating right here, I'm no longer interested.

I don't think that was his sole agenda. The article isn't a bad read. I just think his headline is inaccurate, and some of his positions, are inaccurate.

Why can't emoji domainers be friends?

Last edited:
•••
I have 30 emoji .ws domains would only buy emoji's in. ws at the mo

•••
@Grilled Thanks Grilled, really appreciate your breakdown & depth. Agree with your analysis of .to emoji usage, makes a lot more sense as a redirect in a visual and effeciency sense. But its an awful lot to pay for mere redirects, when the same end result can be had in the .ws extension, even going so far as having the established site sitting on your .ws emoji.

There is another visual aspect that I think is superior using the .ws over .to, and this relates to the actual character heights in the extension itself. I've long believed that extensions that use low, even-height characters...eg .com (no high characters) and .net (see the high "t")) resonate better psychologically because they flow evenly. I know it might be a bit of a stretch but I wonder if there's ever been a study on it.

Why can't emoji domainers be friends?
I like to think we respect each other for the most part. Although I can initially speak off the cuff, doesn't mean I don't like/respect you. Just wish folks would stop opening threads in discussion categories where their only contribution is a title and link. At least have a short, summarized paragraph. The exceptions might be the "Domain Industry News" sections where facts may trump opinion.

Hmm actually just took a peek at Puny's article now. It looks like a .to agenda if you ask me. And why not, if he is vested into .to emojis. He doesn't give a compelling argument as to why .to over .ws. And the comment from the article:
In other words, .ai is essentially a meaningless extension
is nonsensical. Dot-ai is a killer extension, whether emoji'ed or not.
The ☯.ai emoji mentioned in the article was mine. Had a few more too, but the vision for that particular domain was the Yin and Yang of AI, how it could be the harbinger of both good or evil. Unfortunately, as mentioned in my short thread here:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/buh-bye-ai-emojis.1057333/

dot-ai emojis are no longer possible. Sucks, because it thought they coupled well together.

•••
I want the own the moon emoji..... and not the one you are thinking :xf.laugh::xf.laugh::xf.laugh::xf.laugh:

c6223ccb42dc14985e410da235f5da8a.jpg

I'll bet bottom dollars there is a demand for it :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back