IT.COM

alert Why You Can't Trust GoDaddy Brokers

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

jberryhill

Top Member
John Berryhill, Ph.d., Esq.
Impact
It is important to understand that GoDaddy brokers are not working for you.

I'm currently defending a UDRP which, although it will be an easy win for the domain registrant, would have been completely unnecessary if GoDaddy was honest with its own customer.

In the course of fielding an inquiry to buy a domain name, GoDaddy broker John Campanaro received this email:

Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 10.19.56 AM.png

The "buyer" was claiming to have a trademark and threatening legal action.

Now, in the course of this negotiation, the parties ended up being extremely close. The margin between the final offer of the "buyer" and the domain registrant was around $1000.

Had GoDaddy's customer realized that the "buyer" was now claiming to have a trademark and threatening legal action, that would have given GoDaddy's customer an opportunity to consider whether to lower their offer simply to avoid a frivolous legal dispute, or at least to have some warning that GoDaddy knew what the "buyer" was going to do next.

So, what did GoDaddy broker John Campanaro do next?

He lied:

Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 10.20.50 AM.png

If you were formerly a Uniregistry customer and have been moved to GoDaddy, you need to understand that some very basic principles of customer service did not survive that transfer.

GoDaddy will withhold information from you, and will not tell you if the other side in a negotiation is making legal threats, so that you can make a rational and informed decision. Instead, they will drive you right over the cliff and even, as happened in the longer course of this negotiation, make up stuff, attribute it to you, and then it will turn up in a UDRP or other legal dispute filed against you.

GoDaddy will dig a hole and push you right in.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It surprised me that especially @James Iles is quiet, he used to be so active here. I guess the higher ups now decide what he can say.
When i was in the medical billing business, users of the hardware and software we sold formed a "users group" that would meet monthly to discuss issues similar to those we're talking about in this thread. In addition, a rep from our company would "usually" be invited to the meeting.

Go Daddy has some very serious customer service issues that if not addressed will ultimately hurt their business. For instance they haven't addressed my concerns about their new appraisal/valuation programs devaluing my portfolio almost a million dollars.

Anyway, ignoring statements like the title of this thread,

"Why You Can't Trust GoDaddy Brokers"​

is very concerning, especially when GD's stated value/appraisal of my portfolio drops by a million bucks:xf.eek:

•••
I had a Bad broker experience with a GoDaddys "broker" named Morgan Irwin a couple years ago.

I pay $ 70 USD for the GoDaddy Broker Service to Negotiate the purchase of a domain and I NEVER get any email from Any GoDaddy Broker in like 3 weeks after the payment for the GoDaddy Broker Service, so I called GoDaddys Customer Service to find out what is happening with the Service I pay for, and I got transfered with the WORST BROKER at GoDaddy named: Morgan irwin. I did NOT knew he was assigned to broker the domain I was interested to buy at that time, so Morgan talked to me in a RUDE, DISRESPECTFUL manner; and I was only asking what he is going to "broker" for me that domain, Morgan DID NOTHING to "broker" any domain, Morgan irwin DID NOT NEGOTIATE ANYTHING with the owner of the domain name I requested, he told me lies, lies and more lies and I NEVER GOT ANY RESPONSE OR EMAIL from Morgan irwin to inform me what was the result of the negotiation with the owner of the domain name. Morgan even told me: you are Not going to get a Refund, and I Did Not requested a Refund, I only wanted to Negotiate the Purchase of the domain I was interested in buying at that time.

That being said, IT WAS A TOTAL WASTE OF $69.99 USD for the GoDaddys Broker Service thanks to Morgan irwin and his TERRIBLE ATTITUTE, LACK OF CUSTOMER SERVICE AND INCOMPETENT AS A "broker" OF GODADDY, Morgan even claims to be "Sr. broker" in his Linkedin Profile, and he still "works" for GoDaddy to date, thats Bad for GoDaddy. I already reported this situation a few years ago at [email protected] and never got any response at all.

Since that BAD Experience with Morgan irwin, I decided to NEVER PAY AGAIN FOR THE GODADDYS BROKER SERVICE.

I took the time to research some of Morgan irwin WORTHLESS DOMAINS LOL :xf.laugh:

List of domain names registred by Morgan Irwin

Last edited:
•••
I had a Bad broker experience with a GoDaddys "broker" named Morgan Irwin a couple years ago.

I pay $ 70 USD for the GoDaddy Broker Service to Negotiate the purchase of a domain and I NEVER get any email from Any GoDaddy Broker in like 3 weeks after the payment for the GoDaddy Broker Service, so I called GoDaddys Customer Service to find out what is happening with the Service I pay for, and I got transfered with the WORST BROKER at GoDaddy named: Morgan irwin. I did NOT knew he was assigned to broker the domain I was interested to buy at that time, so Morgan talked to me in a RUDE, DISRESPECTFUL manner; and I was only asking what he is going to "broker" for me that domain, Morgan DID NOTHING to "broker" any domain, Morgan irwin DID NOT NEGOTIATE ANYTHING with the owner of the domain name I requested, he told me lies, lies and more lies and I NEVER GOT ANY RESPONSE OR EMAIL from Morgan irwin to inform me what was the result of the negotiation with the owner of the domain name. Morgan even told me: you are Not going to get a Refund, and I Did Not requested a Refund, I only wanted to Negotiate the Purchase of the domain I was interested in buying at that time.

That being said, IT WAS A TOTAL WASTE OF $69.99 USD for the GoDaddys Broker Service thanks to Morgan irwin and his TERRIBLE ATTITUTE, LACK OF CUSTOMER SERVICE AND INCOMPETENT AS A "broker" OF GODADDY, Morgan even claims to be "Sr. broker" in his Linkedin Profile, and he still "works" for GoDaddy to date, thats Bad for GoDaddy. I already reported this situation a few years ago at [email protected] and never got any response at all.

Since that BAD Experience with Morgan irwin, I decided to NEVER PAY AGAIN FOR THE GODADDYS BROKER SERVICE.

I took the time to research some of Morgan irwin WORTHLESS DOMAINS LOL :xf.laugh:

List of domain names registred by Morgan Irwin

how do you know he is the worst?? :)

•••
That’s not only unprofessional but a blatant lie the GD broker did. Someone threatens to take a legal course and he forward that as if the price is not acceptable, all well and good, nothing will happen to anyone except for the sale not going through?

Should the individual be blamed or what does Godaddy have to say on this? Do they condone this representation? Surprising!

But thanks for sharing and alerting the domainers community. Appreciate it.

•••
That’s not only unprofessional but a blatant lie the GD broker did. Someone threatens to take a legal course and he forward that as if the price is not acceptable, all well and good, nothing will happen to anyone except for the sale not going through?

Should the individual be blamed or what does Godaddy have to say on this? Do they condone this representation? Surprising!

But thanks for sharing and alerting the domainers community. Appreciate it.
Shaun....i'm curious as to how you feel about GD 's appraisal/valuation program changing the value of tens of thousands of domains that were once valued @ $1,000 plus to < less than $100 overnight? I see that you've been a member here since 2016, and after reading your Blogging Diary @ iazD.com I'd have a lot of respect for your opinion/thoughts. Thanks

•••
It is important to understand that GoDaddy brokers are not working for you.

I'm currently defending a UDRP which, although it will be an easy win for the domain registrant, would have been completely unnecessary if GoDaddy was honest with its own customer.

In the course of fielding an inquiry to buy a domain name, GoDaddy broker John Campanaro received this email:

Show attachment 237806

The "buyer" was claiming to have a trademark and threatening legal action.

Now, in the course of this negotiation, the parties ended up being extremely close. The margin between the final offer of the "buyer" and the domain registrant was around $1000.

Had GoDaddy's customer realized that the "buyer" was now claiming to have a trademark and threatening legal action, that would have given GoDaddy's customer an opportunity to consider whether to lower their offer simply to avoid a frivolous legal dispute, or at least to have some warning that GoDaddy knew what the "buyer" was going to do next.

So, what did GoDaddy broker John Campanaro do next?

He lied:

Show attachment 237807

If you were formerly a Uniregistry customer and have been moved to GoDaddy, you need to understand that some very basic principles of customer service did not survive that transfer.

GoDaddy will withhold information from you, and will not tell you if the other side in a negotiation is making legal threats, so that you can make a rational and informed decision. Instead, they will drive you right over the cliff and even, as happened in the longer course of this negotiation, make up stuff, attribute it to you, and then it will turn up in a UDRP or other legal dispute filed against you.

GoDaddy will dig a hole and push you right in.

Which is older, the TM or the name registration ?
Any infringement from use / is it in use in the same service of the mark ?
Which is older, the offer to buy or the udrp case ?

While I never liked GD, I do find they get hit with a lot of legal actions or threats of the same and their legal dept just tries to limit their exposure. I don't think the brokers have a good take on all that stuff and will look out for their own interests as well because I think many of them operate like a 'private contractor' on commission. And GD takes their slice as well. They take legal responsibility for what they do. Even working under GD.

I would move my registration provided I know I had legal standing on having the name.
A legit buyer will follow the name if you have a lander.

Last edited:
•••
their legal dept just tries to limit their exposure

The weird thing is that since "trafficking" is one of the acts referenced in the ACPA, and not just "registering" or "using", they might want to have their brokers not continue as if it was a normal negotiation when someone makes a trademark claim.

The Uniregistry brokers had a system for flagging inquiries that contained legal threats for further review.

•••
The weird thing is that since "trafficking" is one of the acts referenced in the ACPA, and not just "registering" or "using", they might want to have their brokers not continue as if it was a normal negotiation when someone makes a trademark claim.

The Uniregistry brokers had a system for flagging inquiries that contained legal threats for further review.
I think that would require proof as in a history of the same. But I'm not good at the later finer details of this stuff.
I quit reading the cases in history for guidance several years ago. So, I'm at a loss.

•••
Greedy GoDaddy has made it difficult for domain investors to negotiate on their own. I would love to have my own landers setup so that I can negotiate myself and take full control of what is happening. This is different from the web developer facing UDRP but still an eye opener for many.

•••
Greedy GoDaddy has made it difficult for domain investors to negotiate on their own. I would love to have my own landers setup so that I can negotiate myself and take full control of what is happening. This is different from the web developer facing UDRP but still an eye opener for many.
What data/info is most important to you?

Last edited:
•••
I've been away from the daddy for nearly 10 years, so I don't know what it is like anymore, but, you did have to request a broker before and I see no reason for that to have changed.

And there is no reason you can't negotiate on your own. I was tempted to use a broker a couple of times.
And I would likely if the numbers were approaching 6 figures.
What is it that they will do that you can not.
If your experience/skills are lacking that is a new matter.
But in my case to use them, it is more about liabilities and who might have them. You pay a price to shed them.

I don't have any issues at namesilo with what you describe.
My reason for leaving gd was that there is always something, like a change, that is not fully described.
And you seem to get details when it's a bit late and you are suffering for it. 3-4 times a year.
I like no surprises. Everything remains calculabl even with a change now and again.

But as it turns out, their commissions are much lower. That alone has made me more money. A good bit.
And I don't have to plead with them not report the sales to publications. They stay out of that.
Sedo has seemingly ignored that several times in the past for whatever reason from my experience..

If someone wants a name, it's not going to matter where it lands.More eyes really not a plus in end user terms.
Perhaps with investors it is. So, it's all about your target market.

It's all about what serves you and you do have choices. Don't use my examples, just use experience to guide you.
I look at it as I have a choice who I spend my money with. I have the upper hand. The power of one.

Sorry to get off the primary topic at hand.

•••
STOP ARBITRAGE
STOP ARBITRAGE
STOP ARBITRAGE

WE ARE NOT SLAVES
WE ARE NOT SLAVES
WE AR ENOT SLAVES

SHOW PRICES TO BUYERS
SHOW PRICES TO BUYERS
SHOW PRICES TO BUYERS

Also,
Allow buyers to negotiate with sellers directly, and /or give hints about identity of buyers. .
Make landing pages indexable.
When JS is off show a simple indexable page, instead of enable javascript link.

This is a warning to all marketplaces, not Godaddy.
Godaddy/Afternic works well,
when there are active buyers, and when landing pages are indexable.
and fixed prices are shown to public.
In this case agents can't so easily try arbitrage, and kill sale or profit,
which could meean 100 fold loss for sellers.

Arbitrage and not showing price means:
1, inconsistent agent behavior, and actual seller may be blamed for dishonesty
2. asking too much, 10x what actual sellers is asking, Even 2x is problem.
-2a. More likely killed sale (10x)
-2b. Less revenue for seller (10x)
-3. agents may not inform sellers of the lead, or say it failed when it didn't,
and wait until the domain expires and try drop catch, or grab in expired auctions,
or lowball at another marketplace

We domainers must demand transparency. They bought Dan, and killed a competitor. Epik was a competitor also, in another sense (good landing page).
Once they don't have any real competitors, they demand that we park there, and they get full control of the domain and its leads. Not showing prices is a major part of this strategy. Because if prices are visible, they have much less flexibility to cheat.

This is a warning to all marketplaces,not only Afternic/Godaddy.

Obviously all these marketplaces want to scam sellers, one way or another.
Epik's method is clear. Cash is sweet,if you can steal the money sitting on the table, and noone will see it, then just steal it. This is the mindset of most if not all.

Last edited:
•••
Buyer brokers are the funniest thing in the domaining business.

It's absolutely in their best interest for you to pay as much as possible. I got contacted by a gd broker (paid by the buyer) and he told me he managed to talk the buyer up to $x amount. He was very much working against the person who hired him.

Brokers in general are a bit of a meme but brokers for buyers should definitely not exist in this form.

•••
Buyer brokers are the funniest thing in the domaining business.

Code:
Hi Martin,

Thank you for getting back in touch.  Have you given this price to anyone else recently?
I’m confident I can get you much more than your asking price but we need to make sure 
my buyer hasn’t already seen this price.

Please let me know as soon as possible.

Warmest regards,

Domain Broker | Uniregistry

Here's a fine example of buyers brokerage, back in the Uniregistry days :) "Buyer's broker" letting me know straight up that I should be asking for more...

•••
Code:
Hi Martin,

Thank you for getting back in touch.  Have you given this price to anyone else recently?
I’m confident I can get you much more than your asking price but we need to make sure 
my buyer hasn’t already seen this price.

Please let me know as soon as possible.

Warmest regards,

Domain Broker | Uniregistry

Here's a fine example of buyers brokerage, back in the Uniregistry days :) "Buyer's broker" letting me know straight up that I should be asking for more...

Exactly. They don't know how much they're being ripped off.

It works for me as a seller, but I'm pointing out just how trustworthy and reliable godaddy are.

They won't "help you" buy a domain, they will charge you a contact fee, then help the seller milk you for as much as you can give.

•••
•••

Thank you for this post. I found it when searching for questions about GD brokers after experiencing a weird exchange about a domain I do not have listed for sale. One thing I've wondered about is does the Buyer/Seller both receive a copy of anything showing what a domain sells for?

In the instance here, seeing a broker tell a buyer he got the deal down from $25,000 to $7,500 is troubling.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back