Dynadot

discuss Why wouldn't Opensea rebrand to Opensea.com?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I am sure that if you are not living under a rock, you would have heard about NFTs. And if you are a little more familiar, you would be knowing about Opensea as well.
Opensea is like the Mecca of NFT creators and investors. It is the marketplace that one goes to, if they are into NFT investments, either as a buyer, seller, or enthusiast.

OpenSea operates at Opensea.io and also owns the OpenSea.com domain name. They started off as OpenSea.io. I couldn't understand that such a large established org, even after owning the .COM would redirect it to .IO.
That's like redirecting it to a less popular extension in general.

Why would a company not do that? Wouldn't you rebrand to .COM had you been on the board?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Maybe because "com" is not "top".

•••
Last edited:
•••
Simply because .io is a specialized extension for tech related websites. I still can't understand these non sense threads.

Last edited:
•••
Maybe because they don’t care about it.

•••
•••
•••
Misdirected? They are not misdirecting, but REdirecting traffic from .com to .io.

Lets put it into perspective:

You own shopping mall in highly populated place and you're only mall nearby. Land nearby your mall is being sold, perfect for another one. You won't buy that land to build another mall, but to stop others from building it.

•••
Why oh why oh my gawd oh my gawd they have the dot-com..

There is no need to. What's the rush. They are established and they have the com fowarded.

Dot-com isn't the be all and end all when you already have a good, recognizable domain and brand.

When it's a true upgrade, like from a sub-par, easily forgotten name, then I would be surprised if the brand didn't use their new acquisition.

Sometimes it's enough to just own the holy grail version and have it under your protection without having to prominently display or use it.

I remember my 5 year hunt for the dot-com exact match to my new G'. When I finally got it, I realized all this time the thrill was the hunt and not the prize. My new G' already came up first in searches. My new G' looked awesome on its own, it didn't need no com. So, was happy to have the .com but really it was useless to rebrand and just have it forwarded too.

It may strengthen your brand to have both, certaintly, but really on a strong name and established brand already, the dot-com is just icing.

•••
I am sure that if you are not living under a rock, you would have heard about NFTs. And if you are a little more familiar, you would be knowing about Opensea as well.
Opensea is like the Mecca of NFT creators and investors. It is the marketplace that one goes to, if they are into NFT investments, either as a buyer, seller, or enthusiast.

OpenSea operates at Opensea.io and also owns the OpenSea.com domain name. They started off as OpenSea.io. I couldn't understand that such a large established org, even after owning the .COM would redirect it to .IO. That's like redirecting it to a less popular extension in general.

Why would a company not do that? Wouldn't you rebrand to .COM had you been on the board?

How on earth could they rebrand if they didn't even change their brand?

A domain does not equal a brand. Rookie mistake. Let's hope no one takes this question seriously as the basic principles of branding as portrayed by you are all over the place. Get educated.

Last edited:
•••
Maybe because the "indian ocean" is an "open sea" while "com" is not "top".

•••
They probably built things out with the .io and would need too many changes to switch things to .com so they are just redirecting.

•••
The simple answer is the technicality of the switch. There would be a lot of code and contracts using .io that just isn't worth the dev hours for changing.

I suspect they will be advertising the .com sooner than they switch the primary resolving domain.

As much as they tried to ignore it the .io extension is still completely unrecognisable outside the tech world.

•••
Who care? That has nothing to do with our business.
Someone just has so much free time to waste other people time for nothing.

•••
themeforest.com > net
wikipedia.com > org
electrum.com > org
mises.com > org

etc etc etc

•••
this is my guess: the ".io" makes the company appear to be more like a nimble startup and less like a big corporation. .io has this "forward thinking startup" futuristic appeal to it.

•••
this is my guess: the ".io" makes the company appear to be more like a nimble startup and less like a big corporation. .io has this "forward thinking startup" futuristic appeal to it.
But what's the issue with looking like a big org? Wouldn't it facilitate more exposure, more partnerships?

Sorry I am not sure how can we even compare the two?

Simply because .io is a specialized extension for tech related websites. I still can't understand these non sense threads.
Most of the tech companies are using .COM still. It is only recently that this is happening. Is it a change of trend, that's the question?
Coz that might mean, it is good to go for one word or 2-words .IO as investments.

•••
The simple answer is the technicality of the switch. There would be a lot of code and contracts using .io that just isn't worth the dev hours for changing.

I suspect they will be advertising the .com sooner than they switch the primary resolving domain.

As much as they tried to ignore it the .io extension is still completely unrecognisable outside the tech world.

They probably built things out with the .io and would need too many changes to switch things to .com so they are just redirecting.
It's just changing the parent domain name, isn't it? And forwarding .IO to .COM?

themeforest.com > net
wikipedia.com > org
electrum.com > org
mises.com > org

etc etc etc
themeforest might be the only one doing it. COM to ORG could be the business model or the business principle switch altogether.

•••

Sorry I am not sure how can we even compare the two?

Both have in common that they are, DNS - wise, technically (hierarchically) top (as (both are) TLDs (top level domains)) which allows you to compare them ...

... but only one of them is also literally (semantically) top (thus I wrote that "com" is not "top") and from that view ...

... they can't be compared, "com" is "com" and will never be "top" while "top" is "top" and will ever be "top".

Last edited:
•••
Because it does not matter on what extension you are, as long as you have quality.
Google search engine does not differentiate based on tld.

•••
It's just changing the parent domain name, isn't it? And forwarding .IO to .COM?

Yep. What they said makes no sense. Redirecting IO to COM for the website doesn't mean they have to rewrite their internal code, APIs or anything else.

Companies routinely use different domains from their brand/website address for back-end applications and services.

themeforest might be the only one doing it. COM to ORG could be the business model or the business principle switch altogether.

Not sure what you mean, but they are all simply forwarding .COM to an address/brand they're most known by, just like Opensea is doing.

•••
Why oh why oh my gawd oh my gawd they have the dot-com..

There is no need to. What's the rush. They are established and they have the com fowarded.

Dot-com isn't the be all and end all when you already have a good, recognizable domain and brand.

When it's a true upgrade, like from a sub-par, easily forgotten name, then I would be surprised if the brand didn't use their new acquisition.

Sometimes it's enough to just own the holy grail version and have it under your protection without having to prominently display or use it.

I remember my 5 year hunt for the dot-com exact match to my new G'. When I finally got it, I realized all this time the thrill was the hunt and not the prize. My new G' already came up first in searches. My new G' looked awesome on its own, it didn't need no com. So, was happy to have the .com but really it was useless to rebrand and just have it forwarded too.

It may strengthen your brand to have both, certaintly, but really on a strong name and established brand already, the dot-com is just icing.
Said it better than me. I think its a bit cool anyway if you actually own the "COM" of your brand, but you don't find it necessary to have it at the forefront of your site, IMO

Last edited:
•••
Yep. What they said makes no sense. Redirecting IO to COM for the website doesn't mean they have to rewrite their internal code, APIs or anything else.

Companies routinely use different domains from their brand/website address for back-end applications and services.

Not sure what you mean, but they are all simply forwarding .COM to an address/brand they're most known by, just like Opensea is doing.

For the sake of semantics they are already redirecting the .com to the .io

Perhaps you are a Solidity developer and know better, but changing domain is not trivial for a big organisation.

•••
•••
Redirecting is easy and safe. Rebranding may be complicated. Change emails, folders, filenames, logo, scripts,.. And they can do it eventually anyway. Getting the .com is enough for traffic. Maybe they mean: we can afford the .com, but the reason we didn't have it before is not that we were poor at that time. Similarly sometimes nonhypen version redirects to hypen version. Germans do it a lot.
nafter may do the same eventually.

•••
Back