Dynadot

discuss Why would you not post your portfolio to SquadHelp?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

HeroNames

Established Member
Impact
Hi guys,

General opinion required. Why would you not post your domains to SquadHelp. Let's make some assumptions here,

you don't have super premium LL.com etc, you have a standard portfolio of good names.
you don't want to list for auction
you are going to want/need a landing page of some description
these aren't SH Premium domains (assume the benefit of premium is obvious, marketing, traffic etc)
No significant traffic that might warrant parking

Option 1
You list as a DAN lander, which also gets you visibility on Afternic and GDaddy pricing is auto updated

Option 2
You list on SH as a general marketplace page, with a SH lander that looks alot like a DAN lander, has BIN, offer and installment functionality - but above DAN, you get visibility on the SH marketplace

So the bottom line is, for a domain that will get some organic visits because it has some interest, would you post on DAN or SH and why? (or neither?) Surely the access to some of the 3m SH monthly users is better than nothing?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
One reason might be that profile sucks and best to just pick best out as you are judged on worst.

•••
One reason would be to not pay 25% for every domains sold through afternic

•••
One reason would be to not pay 25% for every domains sold through afternic
Are we going to host our own and rely on type in. I going into hibernation wait for a change.

•••
High commission with premium listing, Afternic pricing issues, they price it not you, they have an oversaturated market, acceptance is inconsistent, not enough payout options.

You can liquidate at any price you want not the going low rate at the SH wholesale market deemed by other domainers.

That being said, the standard listings are a much better deal than DAN and Afternic and you are in control.

But Afternic DAN GoDaddy still have the most exposure.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Thanks for the input. In terms of volume of eyeballs, presumably SH is best - for end users at least - you won’t get many end user sales on Afternic right?! Quality of views is another point and let’s assume you have a SH lander and set a sale price within GD so any GoDaddy searches return the price and for sale prompt..
there are pros and cons with all selling formats..

•••
I’d also rather pay a chunky commission for something to have a much better chance of selling than just relying on direct traffic so we’ll see..

•••
I think it all depends on who you talk to. Some folks just have opinions, others have facts. I have sold a couple of domains via SH, that no other site could sell. Netted just over 20K for both. So, I have nothing negative to say about them. I much rather pay the commision than hold on to the domain. It's money in the bank.

•••
Too many low quality names accepted at SH. End users visits are very less compare to Afternic. It takes years to get one name sold at SH. We are wasting our money on renewals there. BRANDBUCKET sales ratio and quality of names far better than SH. BB give a lot of attention on the quality of names.

•••
•••
SH was a viable platform a few years ago. Now with the numbers approaching 200,000 domain names, your name is a drop in a vast ocean. If your name sells or stands out, that name was probably likely to sell on it's own. Most of my sales in the last year or two have been coming from afternic and I ended up having to pay SH their part of their commission. It's still hard to get exposure for completely random brandables, so more than likely these platforms are still the best choice, but for any decent names the best practice is still to have a lander that converts well and doesn't charge 25-30%

Total premium names currently at:​

SquadHelp: 185,574 (+40K names in a year)​

Brandbucket: 152,802 (+20K names in a year)

Last edited:
•••
Agreed, SH sales are getting more and more difficult given the insane number of domains on there now. Many buyers seem to rather pay very cheap and get a sub-par to very sub-par name that is essentially marketed in direct competition to your names.

•••
Only reason I see is the approved price for your domain is less than you believe it's worth. Otherwise the higher commission is worth the added exposure that you receive.

•••
Here's two good reasons to use SH:

str.jpg

•••
Hi guys,

General opinion required. Why would you not post your domains to SquadHelp. Let's make some assumptions here,

you don't have super premium LL.com etc, you have a standard portfolio of good names.
you don't want to list for auction
you are going to want/need a landing page of some description
these aren't SH Premium domains (assume the benefit of premium is obvious, marketing, traffic etc)
No significant traffic that might warrant parking

Option 1
You list as a DAN lander, which also gets you visibility on Afternic and GDaddy pricing is auto updated

Option 2
You list on SH as a general marketplace page, with a SH lander that looks alot like a DAN lander, has BIN, offer and installment functionality - but above DAN, you get visibility on the SH marketplace

So the bottom line is, for a domain that will get some organic visits because it has some interest, would you post on DAN or SH and why? (or neither?) Surely the access to some of the 3m SH monthly users is better than nothing?
My biggest reason is that I think SH is too complicated with all their various plans/options. I haven't fully delved into them, the differences between the "plans" and the corresponding commissions. Also, IIRC, they have the highest commission % of any marketplace (that I have used) at 35%? That's crazy high

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back