IT.COM

discuss Why people are still buying CHIP names?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

johnn

WeSellName.comTop Member
Impact
I thought the HYPE is over but I still see people looking for names without AIOUV?

I would rather buy names without ZX than CHIP names.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Short acronym domain names are valuable digital real estate for companies and in some cases individuals alike.

For a wide range of reasons including email, security, and greater flexibility, a good domain is the absolute best solution.

I believe that short, acronym domain names will be hugely popular and in very high demand not only with domain investors but with end users. Today's prices are a fraction of what these domains could be selling for in the not too distant future.
That was the same argument made in 2015 during the rise, fast forward 2 years later, and prices are down, in Dec 2015, I could get $2,500 for any random 4L.com chip, with instant payment. Today you can pick them up for $800-$1000 in aftermarket auctions. Prices are down 2/3, in 2 years, many holders are under water, like all domains when it comes to 4L there is the good, the bad, and the ugly, they are not all equal.

I saw many sales on namepros this week for 4L.com, NOT CHIPS, but albeit 4L.com's for $159-$200 BIN prices.

•••
That was the same argument made in 2015 during the rise, fast forward 2 years later, and prices are down, in Dec 2015, I could get $2,500 for any random 4L.com chip, with instant payment. Today you can pick them up for $800-$1000 in aftermarket auctions. Prices are down 2/3, in 2 years, many holders are under water, like all domains when it comes to 4L there is the good, the bad, and the ugly, they are not all equal.

I saw many sales on namepros this week for 4L.com, NOT CHIPS, but albeit 4L.com's for $159-$200 BIN prices.
Agreed. It's just that I see the entire web as being in a relative infant state. Global internet usage is only at roughly 51% of the global population. Domain name ownership is even far less. I think another 10 years will bring much change to this landscape.

•••
Agreed. It's just that I see the entire web as being in a relative infant state. Global internet usage is only at roughly 51% of the global population. Domain name ownership is even far less. I think another 10 years will bring much change to this landscape.
Yes, you are correct there for sure, more offers are coming in, albeit it lowball. Godaddy continues to spend on portfolio buys also, so hopefully more good things for this space.

•••
I thought the HYPE is over but I still see people looking for names without AIOUV?
As long as someone is buying, someone will be selling. Flipping is part of this biz.
And as long as the buying continues, the pricing will continue to edge upwards. With ups and downs.
For how long ? Till the buying stops... then.... a moment of doubt can quickly turn to panic & crash !
It only works for flipping as long as there is buying. Where are the end users coming from ?

My sell pricing has been out of reach for most chip flippers.
But only for now... LOL I have had those names before this became a thing.
Eventually, it will come to my price asking and at that point I don't really care if it ever gets to a end user or not. My price is my price. But my strategy is always to the end user.
Those that hold to many flipping chips will probably loose more than they made when the crash hits.
In any other kind of commodity, we would call this a bubble.
In general, it is hoarding and going to force end-user plays with gTLD's. You can't buy them all.
It's one thing to say someone will need them but another to say they are willing to pay a high level for it.
4L's are to long for good acronyms and to few for one-worders. Average less $ than 5,6,7,8 letter names.
Just one investors long term perspective.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back