Dynadot

question Why .onl not popular

NameSilo
Watch

Dr. Aftab

Established Member
Impact
Why .onl not as popular as other new gTLDs like .xyz ? Although it's short and catchy

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I agree with that as well. I also have not had any .xyz sales the last six months. It had more of a hype a year or two ago. ;)

Move on the the next gTLD which is offering the most hype in that case. Whichever that may be and get a few more sales.

•••
Maybe the OP can tell us why he thinks .onl is good ? What does 'onl' means to him ? I have to say the meaning is not obvious to me. I see a more or less random string that is easily replaceable.

•••
Only ≈5000 .onl names have been registered after 3 years!

•••
The shorter TLD is not always the better TLD.
The TLD ".online" has 6 letters and sounds = performs better than the abbreviation - TLD ".onl(ine)" which has only 3 letters.

Last edited:
•••
The shorter TLD is not always the better TLD.
The TLD ".online" has 6 letters and sounds = performs better than the abbrevation - TLD ".onl(ine)" which has only 3 letters.

Yes!

Just because one new gTLD is "bad" (or doing bad), it doesn't mean all are "bad" (or doing bad).

•••
•••
In some cases .xyz makes sense, looks nice, could have commercial value imho.

The problem is, & it is a big one, most high value (one word, letter, number) .xyz have outrageous renewal rates.

Am sure some companies wouldn't mind it, but individuals? I would never pay $1,200 for renewal.

Just saw a (.Rent) domain that renews at $64,999.99, oh, nothing to say.

I assume its the same with .onl? crazy renewals?

Cheers

•••
In some cases .xyz makes sense, looks nice, could have commercial value imho.

The problem is, & it is a big one, most high value (one word, letter, number) .xyz have outrageous renewal rates.

Am sure some companies wouldn't mind it, but individuals? I would never pay $1,200 for renewal.

Just saw a (.Rent) domain that renews at $64,999.99, oh, nothing to say.

I assume its the same with .onl? crazy renewals?

Cheers

I totally agree. I really dislike premium renewals. And not only because I am a domainer. Personally, I would prefer that the registry would set up auctions for the very best names instead, but keep regular renewal fees.

Still, I understand that their agenda is to make money. Just as any company.

•••
OK I own zero xyz or onl,but if I was investing in one I would favour xyz even if it did not have aggressive pricing since:
(a) There is at least one super important company (Alphabet/Goggle) using it. Also with almost 2000 actual sites with xyz in the Alexa top 1M there is some momentum there.
(b) xyz is logical for sites that claim to offer comprehensive information (all the way to the end of the alphabet)
(c) To me at least xyz feels more modern and more easily memorable even though not pronounceable
(d) I dislike the onl/online potential confusion just like I dislike that there are loan and loans, site website and web, etc.
(e) Although onl is arguably pronounceable, as others have mentioned, perhaps in a negative connotation way.

But the difference in numbers is, as others have said, due to price levels and promotion, or lack thereof.

I would personally only consider onl if there was a great word that was available only in that extension, especially if the onl could somehow make sense in a domain hack way.

A great enough word I would consider in xyz, but have not found any yet.

•••
•••
What will happen to the popularity of the .ONL extension if .ONLY comes out as an extension?

•••
What will happen to the popularity of the .ONL extension if .ONLY comes out as an extension?

.Only grilled cheesus knows? :zippermouth::xf.smile:

•••
•••
I thought 💭 it's short for ONLINE, thanks for the update.

•••
I thought 💭 it's short for ONLINE, thanks for the update.

Well, for me, Google thought I was looking for .only domains when I searched .onl domains...

Though, nic.onl seems to think, ".onl is the quick way to say you're online!"

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180409-093644.png
    Screenshot_20180409-093644.png
    427 KB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot_20180409-093508.png
    Screenshot_20180409-093508.png
    138.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
•••
Of course nothing is clearly obvious in the world of ngTLDs, and an extension with low registration numbers can have a major sale! There are more .onl registrations than .loans registrations (place 286 vs 313 on the nTLD list as of today). We all know that home(.)loans sold for $500,000 this year. Another extension with limited total registrations but is doing well this year in major sale is ventures. I think the difference though is that the big sale will be two full words that make perfect sense, and onl does not cut it for me.

•••
Well, for me, Google thought I was looking for .only domains when I searched .onl domains...

Though, nic.onl seems to think, ".onl is the quick way to say you're online!"

Thread members are wondering what exactly is .ONL
This is good explanation.

•••
And how many new gTLDs with less regs.

Seems to about as many (in General Availability). Still, 5200 registered names in more than 1000 days is not a great result. I am pretty sure that they had expected much more.

•••
This thread is the most it's ever gotten..it's popularity can .ONLY go up from here.

ps. WB Grilled

•••
•••
.ONLINE is already a popular and existing one. I Think .ONL came later which also sounds like the same genre with an incomplete explanation and confusion to decide where it stands.

•••
•••
Had no idea this was an extension either.

•••
Conclusion= We almost agree that all these ngTLDs are useless. Difference is registration price

•••
.online and .onl are owned by same company

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back