IT.COM

question Why It seems that there are more domain investors than end user ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Salman Mandal

Established Member
Impact
i was looking at godaddy auction today. So, many domain name but no bidder. It really seems no one is really buying. Or is it really that there are more domainaire than actual end user ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
End users buy when they have a need. That need probably rarely coincides with the exact time of an auction.

•••
Are you assuming that bidders are also end users?

•••
•••
•••
The whole point of being a domainer is taking the time to pull the rare great domains out from the lists of tons and tons garbage domains.

In theory, the end users we target are too busy starting and running their companies to be spending a couple hours a night searching.

I think there might be a very small number of serial entrepreneurs or micro-site builders who likely are in the auctions, effectively those who do things in reverse (finding a great domain and then building a business based on the domain), but otherwise for the vast majority they don't have the time, and more importantly don't have the knowledge or experience.

•••
You see more care dealers with cars than people buying cars.

•••
At godaddy auction there are 80% domain listing has no bidders. Wow really garbage. Waste of money.
That's why i am a bit scared. I might not be able sell my domain. I don't know. It's really scares to to be honest. Didn't even enter the market but bought just one kinda garbage domain named "thurs.de" . Now i am scared.

•••
At godaddy auction there are 80% domain listing has no bidders. Wow really garbage. Waste of money.
That's why i am a bit scared. I might not be able sell my domain. I don't know. It's really scares to to be honest. Didn't even enter the market but bought just one kinda garbage domain named "thurs.de" . Now i am scared.

The VAST majority of domains are worthless. People who have good domains sell them. People who have shit domains don't sell them it's simple, really.

•••
Everything comes with risk, what is it your scared of the domain boogeyman?

So what do you know about the German market that would make you buy thurs.de,’or were you just playing off the keywords in the hack which is clever.

Last edited:
•••
i was playing with the hack. But the hack isn't seem to work great. Let's see. Don't know where to put it out there in front of people ?

•••
The VAST majority of domains are worthless. People who have good domains sell them. People who have sh*t domains don't sell them it's simple, really.

It really is that simple. 💩domains = 💩results.

•••
@Salman Mandal - if you are scared about having registered only one domain name, then maybe domaining isn't for you. I kind of like your domain, but don't see a business being built on it. If after 6 months and no sale, you can always put it up for auction here on Namepros.

•••
I don't understand why people tend to do investigation on everything which has nothing to do with their life.

•••
Most registered domains don't have potential buyers. There is literally an endless supply of crappy domains.

Brad

•••
Don't be scared; just stop buying domain names for 60 days until you are smarter about the 1% of all domain names that end users actually want to register or buy from current owners. Note that 99% of all domain names you see out there are total crap and nobody will ever pay another owner for the domain name to take it off of their hands. Verisign says there are ~350 million domain names alive today. The top 1% represents 3,500,000 domain names, which is actually a huge number of domain names for domain investors to share in and try to sell to end users for top dollar.

To get smarter, study NameBio.com sales results every day, especially those names that sold for $15,000 and up. Go through all of Jamie Zoch's 'domain discoveries' posts on DotWeekly.com, reading them all from at least the past three years, while making notes of the kinds of names that large corporations bought. Write them all down. Notice the patterns. Put them into categories. Do an analysis. Formulate your buying strategy based on the patterns and your analysis.

Once you are smarter, slowly start trying to buy high quality domain names based on the patterns you uncovered. AVOID EXISTING TRADEMARKS LIKE THE PLAGUE. Use USPTO.gov to check for them. Try to get high quality domain names for the lowest prices you can get. Sometimes you'll win an auction with 25 other bidders and pay $1,000+ for the name; sometimes you'll win an auction where you were the only bidder and you'll snag it for $69. Make good offers to owners through WHOIS, Sedo, Afternic, and Uniregistry, etc. Buy quality at good prices.

Generally speaking: At this point in time of your domain investing career, AVOID HAND REGISTERING ANY DOMAIN NAME FOR $9. More likely than not, it will be money wasted because you will have created a new domain name that immediately falls into the bottom 99% of all domain names and won't be sellable to an end user. Ever.

Determine at what price you should offer your newly-bought, quality domain name for sale. Aim high. Do inbound or outbound, depending on your sales style and your personal need for cash. Set an annual sales goal. Break it into quarterly sales goals. Try to reach those goals based on new inventory you add to your portfolio and by testing different prices and different selling styles every six months.

Be sure to share your sales here at NamePros.com.

Last edited:
•••
[I just read the post above as I was finishing this up... and see that I was basically saying the same things... what MediaCode said... 100%]

99.9%+ of the domain names for sale everywhere combined are absolute, 110% garbage. Only the remaining 0.1% or less of the names for sale are worthy.

There are some newbie domainers with 1000s of garbage names and they think every name they have is worth $10,000 each or more when in reality they are all completely worthless.

This is why you see total garbage names for sale everywhere with completely ridiculous price tags.

igotzeebestnameanywhere.us Price: $35,000.... BS like that.

They see the big names going for $1,000,000+ and then think all names must be worth a lot of money if some are selling for that much.

FYI, the German word for Thursday is "Donnerstag". I would uncheck renew and forget about it.

It's a very good thing that you are on NP asking questions like this. It will save you a lot of money and heartache in the long run.

Something that will help you a lot is to look at the recently sold lists and see what kind of name sold for how much. This will help develop your selection and pricing skills.

•••
Thank you for the advices guys. Really helpful

•••
Back