IT.COM

question Why is it so hard to sell new gtld domains?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Premiums

find.venturesTop Member
Impact
I've spent a lot of time trying to sell new gtlds for little profit..:(

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
its cause ngtld is not king

•••
talk to @kerala . That's how you move new gtlds!

•••
I've spent a lot of time trying to sell new gtlds for little profit..

This is because you want to sell for BIG money those domains that you just hand-registered. ;)

You just 3 days ago hand-reg. domain WhatsUp.Life and want to sell it to end users for $1,299
"whatsuplife" even in .NET is available

"hellolife" taken in xx extensions... and look at this... who owns - Hello.Life
BNP PARIBAS - the 7-th largest bank in the world, assets - $2.4 trillion

So if you registered Hello.Life earlier in 2014 then you could sell this domain today for very good money.

•••
This is because you want to sell for BIG money those domains that you just hand-registered. ;)

You just 3 days ago hand-reg. domain WhatsUp.Life and want to sell it to end users for $1,299

"hellolife" taken in xx extensions... and look at this... who owns - Hello.Life
BNP PARIBAS - the 7-th largest bank in the world, assets - $2.4 trillion

So if you registered Hello.Life earlier in 2014 then you could sell this domain today for very good money.
I REDUCED THE PRICE down to $249

•••
BTW it was a drop..
first date of registration : 2014-11-13

•••
BTW it was a drop..

Wait for the BNP PARIBAS bank to drop Hello.Life :)

And, most likely, you will have one chance out of a million to register it.

Last edited:
•••
Because it is already hard enough to sell good .com.
Also, I am wondering, what's the most you have ever paid for a domain name ? If you were an end user, would you buy your own domain name, or would buy some unregistered name instead ? There are tens of millions of domains on the market, and trillions that can be registered, as the supply of domain names is virtually infinite. What is in short supply is quality.

•••

Well said, but "some people" don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their Illusions destroyed.

•••
Because most don't have an established and probably never will... There is too much supply. Look at .co and how it never displaced the main extensions.

•••
The time of the year also matters, at least for me.
This January was the worst month ever for inquiries and offers.
I don't know what will happen in February... looks like the same.

The best months were August and November.
I had one the best day in August last year when I got 7 offers (xxx - x,xxx) for 7 different domains from 7 different countries of the world in 24 hours.

After that, this never happened again... even close

Last edited:
•••
I've spent a lot of time trying to sell new gtlds for little profit..:(

You need to be quick on the trigger to get good gTLDs, when they're first released. The best ones are purchased during EAP.

•••
Simple. Because there is no demand!!

•••
It is not hard. But one need to have some good names.

Quality, 1 word names which makes sense together with tld are essential. Renewals must be reasonable.

Imo, even if one does not have any money really to start with, it is better to invest in 2-3 good names, comparing to having 100 nonsense combinations just because there is some registration promo, and which one will drop prior first renewal cycle anyway. Most people do not realize that.

How do you know that you have good name? You know it when you have no problem to renew it 5-7 years in advance. If you have that problem, your name is probably not that good. By good name I mean here combination of good name plus reasonable renewal.

Also, Namepros is fantastic venue to buy new gTLDs, but it is much more reasonable to sell them to companies, instead of other domainers. How you can sell to companies? You need to have good portfolio, be non anonymous, be transparent, be positive, have solid webpage, have social media presence and confidence to reach out...otherwise no one will take your business seriously.

•••
I have sold about 120 new gTLDs and I currently have one in escrow for $2500. I will reveal the name as soon as it is all finished.

If you except .xyz, .top and a few more, a domainer should look for great combos of keyword and extension. Personally, I would probably not register a new gTLD if that mentioned combination is NOT taken in .com, .net, .org, .co.uk, .de, .info, .eu and .biz. It is obviously even better if it is also taken in .us, .tv, .se, .pro and so on...

It takes a lot of time to find or / and snap these names. Domaining requires either a lot of time, or deep pockets.

Last edited:
•••
Or, I should say that profitable domaining probably requires that...

•••
The time of the year also matters, at least for me.
This January was the worst month ever for inquiries and offers.
I don't know what will happen in February... looks like the same.

The best months were August and November.
I had one the best day in August last year when I got 7 offers (xxx - x,xxx) for 7 different domains from 7 different countries of the world in 24 hours.

After that, this never happened again... even close
It is not about the time of the year...
More inquiries usually when major registrars are doing some aggressive promotion for certain TLDs...

Last edited:
•••
You need to have good portfolio, be non anonymous, be transparent, be positive, have solid webpage, have social media presence and confidence to reach out...otherwise no one will take your business seriously.
I don't have solid webpage and social media presence...

•••
Why not? You are doing pretty well, but If you would have them, you would make maybe 3 times what you are making now...it certainly will not hurt your sales...or will it? :)

•••
Maybe...
But I don't have even time for such activity... tens domain tasks daily for me...

But I agree, when portfolio is under 500 domains - you have a lot of time...

Last edited:
•••
maybe one can do it like this:

a) lower quality names (which one plans to drop afer 1 year test period anyway) - no effort needed, just passive approach is ok, waiting for random end user, some xxx sales, it is number game...

b) higher quality names (which one actually want to renew for years to come) - here why not to make some logos and go reach out to clients - this way, one can achieve significantly higher prices.

Particularly in new gtLDs, many people still totally not aware of them...so when you approach with relevant name and explain, you bring tons of added value to end users.

•••
I think people are still waiting to see how it pans out. If .biz, .net and .org are still looking to make strong strides after several years, I don't expect the new gtlds to fare any better

•••
Main reason - end user won't / can't remember the extension.. lol

Try this.. Affordablehomeloans.com & Affordablehome.loans, which one is more easy to remember? .com is universal top domain. If you say,' hey, my website is affordablehome.loans, pls visit'. They'll type affordablehomeloans.com all the time.

new gtlds are appealing when a direct link is provided on a website or if you market it via email / message / VCard etc.

•••
Main reason - end user won't / can't remember the extension.. lol

Try this.. Affordablehomeloans.com & Affordablehome.loans, which one is more easy to remember? .com is universal top domain. If you say,' hey, my website is affordablehome.loans, pls visit'. They'll type affordablehomeloans.com all the time.

new gtlds are appealing when a direct link is provided on a website or if you market it via email / message / VCard etc.
Most of my nTLD's are meant for point and click, and email marketing. If you want to sell more nTLD's that's exactly the way they need to be marketed. Also, it's my opinion that sometimes two word nTLD's that send a clear message are more likely to be "clicked" on. For example, as a business guy I'd more likely click on ImproveProfits.today than just Profits.today. Aesthetically, they need to be appealing as well, and my graphic folks are working on that.

•••
talk to @kerala . That's how you move new gtlds!
If you have 6,000 names like Kerala doss your bound to make some sales. Once you get over a few thousand names it just becomes a numbers game if the quality is decent. Would love to know how his/her numbers break down at the end of every year.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back