IT.COM

Why Domain Parking works for me

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

privatereg

Upgraded Member
Impact
I was going to title this thread “How to Make a Million Dollars with Domain Parking” but I figured that would make a lot of people think it was click bait so I’m taking a different approach HAHA.

The reason I’m taking some time to write this (and more importantly taking up your valuable time reading it) is I get really tired of everyone saying Parking is Dead. Let’s see if you know one of these people:
  1. They never tried it – just like to troll the forums….
  2. They took 100 names they had lying around desperately trying to sell, and figured they’d try parking and it made $0.05 in two months.
  3. They have a domain portfolio from 5 years ago without ongoing reinvestment and watched the traffic, EPC, CTR and revenue die over time.
  4. They believe the registrars are faking the traffic stats at the auctions, the parking companies are keeping all the clicks, reporting falsified data, stealing your money and think it’s all a scam.
  5. They tried to game the system with fake traffic or 100 other methods (that I won’t get into) and got their accounts and domains banned (from DRID tracking), and now want to seek revenge.
  6. They have an inherent belief that domain parking is for “bottom feeders” of the domain industry and should be avoided at all costs.
So why am I posting this? I just want to put it out there that Domain Parking is a serious business and some are making substantial revenues with it even today. But one thing is for sure – it doesn’t work like it did in 2005 – you can’t just randomly pick a domain that looks good to you and expect to make money. And there is no lazy way to riches with domain parking anymore – those days are long gone. The big players know that it takes several hours a day of their time to research, buy, optimize and manage, and you have to do it every day of the year – no time off. But the good news is once you perfect a formula it actually works, and it’s a serious business for corporations and individual domainers alike, even in today’s competitive marketplace.

Before I go any further, I’m not going to tell you the tricks to find the right domain name that makes money and I’m not going to sell you anything nor offer consulting services for the simple selfish reason that it increases competition. This is not a business of “the more, the merrier” – that will clue you in on why you don’t see in the forums how to really do it (unless they want to sell you something). Instead I want to give you my experience with domain parking (since 2007 but more importantly in recent months) and why I think it’s still a viable business today for a select few.

So let’s take away the mystery and talk about it being a serious business. Like any true business start-up, you need capital, and with domain parking today you need lots of it. I’m sure I’ll get a lot of naysayers but one thing that has become extremely difficult is drop catching solely for parking domain monetization. It’s basically dried up – too many players and companies like DC dominating the market. Put another way, you’re basically out of luck finding that domain that’s going to make you hundreds or thousands of dollars through your own drop catching – maybe if you’re lucky you can cover renewal fees, but that’s about it (yes, I know there are exceptions…).

Buying someone else’s portfolio is out for most of us as well. With publishers demanding 30x or more of monthly revenue up front, and the requirement to purchase blocks of domains costing $xxx,xxx, isn’t worth it to me. And the traffic for many of these domains will die before you can break even (or worse, the traffic was faked and you’re screwed).

So that leaves you with the auctions which are far more competitive than years ago. And since domain owners have gotten smarter and registrars have made greater efforts to notify owners of upcoming expirations, what is leftover to go to auction pales in comparison to the traffic rich domains of the past. Those of us who battle in the daily auction houses fight against big conglomerates like HD for bread crumbs in most cases. Just try to find an expired government site anymore. And nothing pisses off a domain investor more than some lazy guy who does zero research and waits until they see a lot of people bidding on a domain so they can jump in at the last minute or someone who trolls the bids to drive up the price just for fun.

So that means the serious domain investor is going to pay more for these domains, and the price goes up every month it seems with longer time to recoup your investment. But in spite of these odds, one can still find domains that can recover your ROI in 12-24 months (or sooner if you’re lucky). That’s where the capital comes in. A serious investor knows that ROIs purchased at the auction house are not going appear for a year or two, if at all. Or to put it another way, if you think you’re going to get a domain at auction and start making a profit in a month, you’re probably wrong (or have a better system than I do!).

So after accepting the truth that your capital investment will be tied up for potentially years with a risk of losing some or all of it, there is the research aspect. If there are over 100,000 domains expiring every day (depending on TLD, gTLD, ccTLD), 7 days a week, 365 days a year, how would anyone know which ones to bid on. As I said before, I’m not going to tell you how but to say that investors in this space spend hours every day doing research in preparation for the next auction. To clue you in, that does not simply mean throwing some filters on expireddomains dot net and going after those (no disrespect to this great free service). If you don’t have access to resources to develop APIs to multiple link traffic source sites, develop some AI techniques, have a full understanding of keyword EPCs, prediction models to forecast the longevity of traffic through analytics, and a myriad of other considerations, your risk of losing capital rises exponentially.

Let’s say you have the capital and willing to risk it, and through trial and error have developed good algorithms to narrow your search and go after the types of domains that have historically yielded results – you’re done right? No, the hard work really begins now! You have to optimize your domains and manage your portfolio. I sometimes spend more time optimizing than all the other tasks. What do I mean by optimization? Some parking companies have contractual relationships to allow the parking provider to request related search terms that G will use. And yes, even that is shifting as G will now take your keywords as a “suggestion” and may use some or all of them depending on the historical traffic that has gone to that site before you bought it (using their massive data warehouses). Why go through all this trouble and just let G auto-optimize? Because in many cases it can take a lot of traffic before they get the terms right, IF they get it right, and your best opportunity to mitigate ROI loss is in first 60 days you park it before traffic drop (unless you have strong backlinks or are lucky enough to have a type-in or typo domain).

I don’t write all of this to turn you off to parking, but to say that gone are the days when anyone with $100 can buy some domains from their drop catching program, change the name servers and make money. But that isn’t to say parking today is not a viable business – just far more sophisticated.

One question often asked is “how much money can I make in parking?”. That’s a loaded question. I think the better question to ask is “what is my target annual profit I want to achieve in this business and when can I get there?”. Profit in parking would be your gross parking revenues less any chargebacks (I rarely have any, but it’s still lowers your revenue), less the cost of the domain, less costs to run the business (your time, subscription costs, IT charges, renewal fees and so on), less the predictive loss ratio of declining traffic, taxes, UDRPs (depends on your risk tolerance), and probably a few other things I can’t think of right now.

I’m not going to give you my annual profit target; I don’t want this to go on my permanent internet record HAHA.

I already know what you’re thinking right now…. “Yeah, talk is cheap – show me the proof”. I hear you. Just to let you know, there are many in this forum that are serious in this business and have no incentive to show any type of stats, myself included. It raises too many suspicions and follow-up questions – how many domains, what kind of domains, what kind of keywords, how long did it take, the numbers are fake, you name it. Who wants to be raked over the coals with all this grief? So contrary to my gut reaction not to show anything like most of the other guys, I would rather put myself out there to show that Parking is real, at least for my situation it is. So I attached a screenshot of stats for the past several months, and no they’re not photoshopped, whether you want to believe it or not – doesn’t matter to me.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/3965/PK0lIe.png

You’ll notice my traffic and revenues rising every month. So obviously I’m in a growth mode. To answer your next question on how long did it take to get where I am right now, let me give you a little personal history… In the late 2000’s I was making serious revenues with parking, but I got involved in other ventures and didn’t have the time to devote in keeping up with it. So I just let my domain traffic die a slow death for years. Eventually I was tired of running businesses and working 90 hours a week so I went back to the rat race, being respectable and making a salary in a normal job. What I quickly discovered was I had a lot of free time to think about other sources of revenue, and of course parking like the old days seemed like a good place to start. But I kept asking myself, “would it still work today?”.

So April of last year with the pandemic driving more people online and my employer telling us all to work from home, it became an opportune time for me to see if my old methods still worked. For the first couple of months I wasn’t buying many domains, but I quickly saw that with some tweaking and serious commitment of time the process still worked – worked back then and works now. Crazy. They were saying parking was dead back in 2010, maybe earlier and here it is in 2021 and it still works. Weird.

Let me be perfectly frank. I’m not bragging about this – far from it. In fact, depending on which side of the revenue fence you’re on, you might say what I’m achieving is peanuts to what you’re making, but I’m happy with my results so far. Long ways to go to meet my net profit target, but I’m confident I’ll get there.

I’m sure I’ll hear from a lot of people telling me “you’ll never make any real money with parking – selling or leasing is the only way, or developing your website with affiliates or adsense, or zero click direct traffic advertisers, or smart traffic switching”, you name it. And I say to all of that is if it works for you – great! I’m not talking about that – I’m just making a point about domain parking in today’s world, pure and simple. I enjoy it and you’ll never convince me it’s dead.

So let the haters weigh in but at least I got this off my chest…Domain Parking is real folks!

P.S. Please don’t IM/DM/PM me trying to sell your traffic domain, join a JV, try a new monetization service, ask for my methods, more details on my portfolio, etc., etc. I will not respond – no offense.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
ps anyone knows if we can post our traffic names on forums like here? everyone does it when they are selling them.. maybe we are newbies wanting to discuss quality of our name...trafic... etc... or we just gotta make sure name is masked...

Last edited:
•••
yes but if u buy his name for 5k ... and traffic dies aftr one year... then u are not lucky ..and If u are not lucky then it's not luck :p
that's what I mean, the parking doesn't work anymore..
if you ALREADY have a bunch of right domains then Ok
I am not crazy to invest a few hundred or thousands and hope to just recover my investment in a few years

Last edited:
•••
After seeing the recent posts, Alcy you might be right that domain parking today is for the 1%; it was for the 90% back in 2007 but the opportunity for the masses is long gone (just like BTC today – remember when you could get BTC for free with all those bitcoin faucet sites? HAHA). So from that standpoint, maybe domain parking is dead for most people; my only point in the OP was to show that it’s still alive and thriving for a few, but it’s a missed opportunity in 2021 for most. I think I’m done with making this point. Just like politics, if you’re convinced it’s a strategy that doesn’t work for you, then you’re right – parking is dead to you. My only point was to say that with millions of domains that are parked today, obviously someone is benefiting from it, and I’m fortunate to be one of those participating. Are there other ways in 2021 to take advantage of domain names and monetize them? Yes, absolutely. Personally, the money is nice, but I actually enjoy the chase and like to problem solve, so it’s work and fun at the same time. I have several other revenue streams so money in parking is not the biggest driver for me in that regard. So I’ll just leave it at that, I’ve made my point, and you all have made yours. I mean this sincerely when I say best of luck for anyone searching for new revenue strategies; they’re out there today, and new ones are yet to be discovered….

Last edited:
•••
@privatereg Don't kill this interesting thread now! :xf.eek: Still love to read all input from you and others. Especially in an environment with Believers and Non-believers, lots of useful information comes to surface. Don't present all your tricks at once, and keep the most strategic to yourself.

Let's continue this interesting thread (y)

•••
After seeing the recent posts, Alcy you might be right that domain parking today is for the 1%; it was for the 90% back in 2007 but the opportunity for the masses is long gone (just like BTC today – remember when you could get BTC for free with all those bitcoin faucet sites? HAHA). So from that standpoint, maybe domain parking is dead for most people; my only point in the OP was to show that it’s still alive and thriving for a few, but it’s a missed opportunity in 2021 for most. I think I’m done with making this point. Just like politics, if you’re convinced it’s a strategy that doesn’t work for you, then you’re right – parking is dead to you. My only point was to say that with millions of domains that are parked today, obviously someone is benefiting from it, and I’m fortunate to be one of those participating. Are there other ways in 2021 to take advantage of domain names and monetize them? Yes, absolutely. Personally, the money is nice, but I actually enjoy the chase and like to problem solve, so it’s work and fun at the same time. I have several other revenue streams so money in parking is not the biggest driver for me in that regard. So I’ll just leave it at that, I’ve made my point, and you all have made yours. I mean this sincerely when I say best of luck for anyone searching for new revenue strategies; they’re out there today, and new ones are yet to be discovered….

You scale of operation is very impressive. Thanks for sharing.. Again..

@privatereg Don't kill this interesting thread now! :xf.eek: Still love to read all input from you and others. Especially in an environment with Believers and Non-believers, lots of useful information comes to surface. Don't present all your tricks at once, and keep the most strategic to yourself.

Let's continue this interesting thread (y)
I am still putting in Bids to see if I get lucky some times. But it is a much more easier than buying closeouts if you have the dough to invest. Meaning, once you know what to look for, it is pretty obvious.

Yesterday Backpage (. )co went for only 380 bucks. The traffic estimate was 15000 a year which I am sure was pretty accurate. Popular .com leaks a lot of traffic to .co, But being that backpage. com is a dicey site., the traffic could go down.. But still I thought it was a good buy... Just the background of the .com made reluctant. I checked it was not blacklisted, but damn the .com shows a FBI poster lol... But I have had luck on .co and other ccTLDS.. I have a .im site that does 30 bucks a month consistently.

•••
You scale of operation is very impressive. Thanks for sharing.. Again..

I am still putting in Bids to see if I get lucky some times. But it is a much more easier than buying closeouts if you have the dough to invest. Meaning, once you know what to look for, it is pretty obvious.

Yesterday Backpage (. )co went for only 380 bucks. The traffic estimate was 15000 a year which I am sure was pretty accurate. Popular .com leaks a lot of traffic to .co, But being that backpage. com is a dicey site., the traffic could go down.. But still I thought it was a good buy... Just the background of the .com made reluctant. I checked it was not blacklisted, but damn the .com shows a FBI poster lol... But I have had luck on .co and other ccTLDS.. I have a .im site that does 30 bucks a month consistently.
I think you're right about the ccTLDs. My account exec told me he abandoned TLDs a long time ago due to competition and goes after certain ccTLDs with drop catching and does well with it. That might very well be the next goldmine - I need to look into it this year....

•••
@privatereg
Thanks alot for sharing you experience,

I have 2 questions of course if you don't mind ( I hope I can get an answer lol)

1) Have you tried to forward all your domains or a bunch of them to one affiliate link ? if yes do you get some sales,conversion ?

2) What is the average visit per domain you get every month?

Last edited:
•••
I appreciate you sharing this information. I too thought parking was dead, dead and - in no uncertain terms - dead. But you have made a great case for the opposite. Question: General speaking, how much monthly traffic should a domain receive to make it on the radar as a potential candidate for parking?

•••
I appreciate you sharing this information. I too thought parking was dead, dead and - in no uncertain terms - dead. But you have made a great case for the opposite. Question: General speaking, how much monthly traffic should a domain receive to make it on the radar as a potential candidate for parking?
Thanks. Monthly traffic is kinda irrelevant when it comes to parking. I have some with just a few visitors making as much as others with hundreds of visitors. It's not a traffic volume business.

•••
Hi

soooo
which one of you, wants to sell their revenue producing domain names?

:)

imo...

•••
•••
@privatereg
Thanks alot for sharing you experience,

I have 2 questions of course if you don't mind ( I hope I can get an answer lol)

1) Have you tried to forward all your domains or a bunch of them to one affiliate link ? if yes do you get some sales,conversion ?

2) What is the average visit per domain you get every month?
I assume your emoji is asking about your question above.... ;)

1. No, I would never point all of them to an affiliate link. I buy domains for PPC not PPA - they are different.
2. Answered above...average number of visitors for domains is not important. There are many factors in selecting a domain (which I will not go into).

Last edited:
•••
I assume your emoji is asking about your question above.... ;)

1. No, I would never point all of them to an affiliate link. I buy domains for PPC not PPA - they are different.
2. Answered above...average number of visitors for domains is not important. There are many factors in selecting a domain (which I will not go into).

Yeah,Exactly the emoji mean that lol

The question 2 is important to me, I want to have an idea about how many visits do traffic domain get per month, you don't need to give me information based about your data, just tell me your opinion about how much traffic is needed per month for a domain to be considered good in order to make money in parking.

PS: Your opinion is matter to me but if you are not comfortable in even in sharing your opinion I will respect your choice.

Thanks,

Last edited:
•••

The question 2 is important to me, I want to have an idea about how many visits do traffic domain get per month, you don't need to give me information based about your data, just tell me your opinion about how much traffic is needed per month for a domain to be considered good in order to make money in parking.

PS: Your opinion is matter to me but if you are not comfortable in even in sharing your opinion I will respect your choice.

Thanks,
I am not trying to be an A-hole about your question...The purpose of this thread and ONLY reason I wrote it was to dispel the notion that no one makes money in parking and it's dead to them, not to provide tips on how to find domains for parking potential, etc. There are dozens of other threads that talk about that - best of luck, and I do mean that sincerely....

•••
@coolhands ,

privatereg answered your question just a couple posts above; you can't judge a domain solely by its traffic.

There is nothing to hide here about this. You can have a domain that with one visitor and one click might earn the same as 10 domains with 10x traffic.

•••
I am not trying to be an A-hole about your question...The purpose of this thread and ONLY reason I wrote it was to dispel the notion that no one makes money in parking and it's dead to them, not to provide tips on how to find domains for parking potential, etc. There are dozens of other threads that talk about that - best of luck, and I do mean that sincerely....

YOUR LEVEL OF SELFISH IS 9999999999. Even for an opinion!!!
Have a good day.

•••

Thanks,
Traffic has extremely low correlation with revenue.

Forget parking. If you have a website on celebrities or movies, you will have tons of traffic but very low revenue. Hardly $1 per 1000 visitors even

But if you had a website on Finance, Insurance for small business software, you will make $100 plus per 100 visitors.

Same with parking. If you own a domain that has type in traffic for a celebrity, you will hardly get any clicks per 1000 visitors. because when someone types in a celebrity, he expects to see videos, pictures etc, so he will close the tab and type go to another website.

I have many type in sites that don't even cover renewals so I will drop them.

Right now I have a name that gets about 60-800 visits every day. Like clockwork. Real visitors, no bots, from all over the USA. I get 1 click in like 30 days

I have another domain. gets 40-50 visitors everyday. It gets 5-10 clicks each day just like clockwork

I have another domain that get 2-3 type in visitors everyday.. Like clock work. It gets a click once in 2-3 days, but every click is 1-2 usd and it ends up brining 20-30 usd every month, like clockwork.

I have another type-in for weather keyword.. 100+ visits everyday, like clockwork.. Maybe 1 click in a month

I have another in CBD niche, 100 visit.. Not sure why no clicks at all.. Maybe very few ads in G Feed for CBD, So I redirected to an affiliate site last week. Made one conversion so I am going to tweak it.

Parking also don't compare very well to real life websites. It is different. It is not even about the Niche. But what kind of people are visiting the site. Are they Info seekers? Are they buyers? Think of intent. But I don't think there is much to overthink. Like I mentioned above as well by the OP, once you figure out how to buy traffic domains in the auctions, you will find that the competition is much worse the Huge DOmain auto bidding on godaddy. So you have a ready validation.

•••
Traffic has extremely low correlation with revenue.

Forget parking. If you have a website on celebrities or movies, you will have tons of traffic but very low revenue. Hardly $1 per 1000 visitors even

But if you had a website on Finance, Insurance for small business software, you will make $100 plus per 100 visitors.

Same with parking. If you own a domain that has type in traffic for a celebrity, you will hardly get any clicks per 1000 visitors. because when someone types in a celebrity, he expects to see videos, pictures etc, so he will close the tab and type go to another website.

I have many type in sites that don't even cover renewals so I will drop them.

Right now I have a name that gets about 60-800 visits every day. Like clockwork. Real visitors, no bots, from all over the USA. I get 1 click in like 30 days

I have another domain. gets 40-50 visitors everyday. It gets 5-10 clicks each day just like clockwork

I have another domain that get 2-3 type in visitors everyday.. Like clock work. It gets a click once in 2-3 days, but every click is 1-2 usd and it ends up brining 20-30 usd every month, like clockwork.

I have another type-in for weather keyword.. 100+ visits everyday, like clockwork.. Maybe 1 click in a month

I have another in CBD niche, 100 visit.. Not sure why no clicks at all.. Maybe very few ads in G Feed for CBD, So I redirected to an affiliate site last week. Made one conversion so I am going to tweak it.

Parking also don't compare very well to real life websites. It is different. It is not even about the Niche. But what kind of people are visiting the site. Are they Info seekers? Are they buyers? Think of intent. But I don't think there is much to overthink. Like I mentioned above as well by the OP, once you figure out how to buy traffic domains in the auctions, you will find that the competition is much worse the Huge DOmain auto bidding on godaddy. So you have a ready validation.

Thank you so much for this valuable information 🙏, this is really the kind of answer I was looking for.

•••

Thanks,

@coolhands
your question suggests that you don't have the slightest notions of how parking works.
I suggest you first of all to study a little.
You must undestand what are CTR, EPC and RPM.
Starting from the purchase cost, you can set the ROI.
Then you will realize that your question makes no sense.

•••
@coolhands
your question suggests that you don't have the slightest notions of how parking works.
I suggest you first of all to study a little.
You must undestand what are CTR, EPC and RPM.
Starting from the purchase cost, you can set the ROI.
Then you will realize that your question makes no sense.

Asking Questions doesn't make some a newbie, I seek knowledge everyday, this is how my mindset is working.

Next Time do not speak about things that do not concern you, if you have value to add you will be welcomed to reply but if you are trying to mock me and teach me what is CTR, EPC, RPM just Shut up.

•••
Asking Questions doesn't make some a newbie, I seek knowledge everyday, this is how my mindset is working

Hi

asking questions does not make one a newbie,
but how the question is asked.... and whether that question has been answered, prior to the latter question....
then, when the same knowledge that one seeks, was already spoken to, in other threads.....

Is Parking Really Dead or It Has Gotten So Different? - NamePros
Is parking worth it? - NamePros
Parking domains, is it worth? - NamePros
Where to Park for monetization - NamePros
Do Parked Domains Make money on Clicks?? - NamePros
Domain Parking Companies 2019 - Rewind - NamePros

Domain Parking: Tips & Tricks to Help You Earn More! - NamePros

if one cares to feed themselves.- rather than going to deep end -
they could have read other threads in this section, that shed same light for one who walks in darkness.

don't hate the players....hate the hate and move on

imo....

•••
Hi

asking questions does not make one a newbie,
but how the question is asked.... and whether that question has been answered, prior to the latter question....
then, when the same knowledge that one seeks, was already spoken to, in other threads.....

Is Parking Really Dead or It Has Gotten So Different? - NamePros
Is parking worth it? - NamePros
Parking domains, is it worth? - NamePros
Where to Park for monetization - NamePros
Do Parked Domains Make money on Clicks?? - NamePros
Domain Parking Companies 2019 - Rewind - NamePros

Domain Parking: Tips & Tricks to Help You Earn More! - NamePros

if one cares to feed themselves.- rather than going to deep end -
they could have read other threads in this section, that shed same light for one who walks in darkness.

don't hate the players....hate the hate and move on

imo....

So are you guys gonna judge me for just simple question that I have asked?!

I have already got an answer from @blogspotter , Thanks again Sir.

Best,
Coolhands

•••
Hi there,

I have tried numerous methods on parking my domains to monetize them and I have found that developing an autopilot niche affiliate website works the best as well as it is nice to have an affiliate Store whatsoever that updates by itself and are effortless to manage.

It looks very professional and brings some commissions on top of raising the value of the domain itself.

Yours,
Sean

•••
Hi there,

I have tried numerous methods on parking my domains to monetize them and I have found that developing an autopilot niche affiliate website works the best as well as it is nice to have an affiliate Store whatsoever that updates by itself and are effortless to manage.

It looks very professional and brings some commissions on top of raising the value of the domain itself.

Yours,
Sean
This is what I do. Traffic, adsense, and sponsored posts generate good money with no risk.

•••
This is what I do. Traffic, adsense, and sponsored posts generate good money with no risk.

Exactly, this is the way to go. I also build these stores for others for a very affordable price, let me know if interested :xf.wink:

•••
Back