IT.COM

Why and how Epik allows CoronaVirus domains to be listed

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Rob Monster

Founder of EpikTop Member
Epik Founder
Impact
Epik has a history of standing for responsible free speech that is within the bounds of the law. As such, when it comes to the topic of Corona Virus domain names, I doubt there will be a large change on that position.

This is not a light matter, and we certainly will remain vigilant to acceptable use. However, to pre-judge that every Corona-related domain is to be used for evil is akin to Dystopian Minority Report pre-crime.

May rational heads prevail and may orderly free speech be used to accelerate progress and to encourage those who are suffering in one way or another.

For additional context, I posted a short video on Twitter:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@Rob Monster you missed it big time, this is not about free speach or free trade or whatever "free" term you will through in , this about an unethical practice that makes coronavirus domain investors no better than those who sell hand sanitizers & masks at astronomical prices, both are taking advantage of the epidemic by unethical monopoly.

It is perfectly legal to buy coronavirus domains, but it is not ethical in current circumstances. We as human can distinguish between what is ethical and what is not.

In these tough times all of us must help and contribute in fighting this virus, domainers must contribute by donating these domains to communities or at least leaving them unregistered so that others can use them to save lives. This is a duty not a favor, think about how many lives would have been saved if coronavirus domains were available at afordable prices, the economy is collapsing and yet some chose to sell epidemic related domains at 6500 these money could have been spent on medical equipments, masks, medicines..etc.

•••
Where does an entity stop being judge, jury, and executioner though also. Are they not just taking the issue on themselves and saying after we defend we attack with the same lesson. No, the domains are not the virus and vice versa, viruses are viruses. This one sucks!!! Love you, Memas and Papas!

•••
@Rob Monster you missed it big time, this is not about free speach or free trade or whatever "free" term you will through in , this about an unethical practice that makes coronavirus domain investors no better than those who sell hand sanitizers & masks at astronomical prices, both are taking advantage of the epidemic by unethical monopoly.

It is perfectly legal to buy coronavirus domains, but it is not ethical in current circumstances. We as human can distinguish between what is ethical and what is not.

In these tough times all of us must help and contribute in fighting this virus, domainers must contribute by donating these domains to communities or at least leaving them unregistered so that others can use them to save lives. This is a duty not a favor, think about how many lives would have been saved if coronavirus domains were available at afordable prices, the economy is collapsing and yet some chose to sell epidemic related domains at 6500 these money could have been spent on medical equipments, masks, medicines..etc.

Well, FWIW, I just bought CoronaPrayer.com for $99 on Godaddy. I used an account credit that we had there. Godaddy apparently sells Corona domains still. And I am glad they do. The person who sold the domain had an asking price of $99 which I was fine to pay.

I see that someone else is already using the plural for a multi-faith approach to model prayers:

https://coronaprayers.com/

I think that's great.

Does anyone have a problem with that?

•••
There are real consequences when you try to ban a very generic keyword, this is an actual heavily populated city in CA in itself, I am sure their are countless property, lawn service, pet care type names associated with it. I am sure it's great PR, but the bigger picture is who are you really hurting with all these bans.

(Spanish for ''Crown'') is a city in Riverside County, California, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city had a population of 152,374, up from 124,966 at the 2000 census. The cities of Norco and Riverside lie to the north and northeast, respectively, Chino Hills and Yorba Linda to the northwest, and the Cleveland National Forest and the Santa Ana Mountains to the southwest, and unincorporated Riverside County along the rest of the border. Corona is approximately 48 miles (77 km) southeast of Los Angeles and 95 miles (153 km) north-northwest of San Diego.

•••
There are real consequences when you try to ban a very generic keyword, this is an actual heavily populated city in CA in itself, I am sure their are countless property, lawn service, pet care type names associated with it. I am sure it's great PR, but the bigger picture is who are you really hurting with all these bans.

(Spanish for ''Crown'') is a city in Riverside County, California, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city had a population of 152,374, up from 124,966 at the 2000 census. The cities of Norco and Riverside lie to the north and northeast, respectively, Chino Hills and Yorba Linda to the northwest, and the Cleveland National Forest and the Santa Ana Mountains to the southwest, and unincorporated Riverside County along the rest of the border. Corona is approximately 48 miles (77 km) southeast of Los Angeles and 95 miles (153 km) north-northwest of San Diego.

Corona beer is taking a lot of flak these days.:xf.grin:

•••
Well, FWIW, I just bought CoronaPrayer.com for $99 on Godaddy. I used an account credit that we had there. Godaddy apparently sells Corona domains still. And I am glad they do. The person who sold the domain had an asking price of $99 which I was fine to pay.

I see that someone else is already using the plural for a multi-faith approach to model prayers:

https://coronaprayers.com/

I think that's great.

Does anyone have a problem with that?

You still don't get it, don't you?

It is unethical to profit from a global epidemic especially when economy is collapsing.. no example you will give will change that fact.

What should domainers do? Stop registering coronavirus domains and donate what you already registered to community.

I totally support Dan & Sedo decision to ban these domains, it was the right thing to do and Epik should follow there are no excuses!

•••
You still don't get it, don't you?

It is unethical to profit from a global epidemic especially when economy is collapsing.. no example you will give will change that fact.

What should domainers do? Stop registering coronavirus domains and donate what you already registered to community.

I totally support Dan & Sedo decision to ban these domains, it was the right thing to do and Epik should follow there are no excuses!

Actually, I am the one who gets it.

Do you care for this?

I don't.

It is one thing to cancel a lot of mindless entertainment, and force people to cook at home and spend more time with their families.

It is another thing to systematically take away the capacity for private enterprise to function or to treat responsible humans like mindless cattle.

Those who think that a pandemic with 1-2% mortality rate is a license to roll out a worldwide police state are certainly empowered to do so.

At the same time, I reserve the right to empower others to respond with:

- Local news and information
- Peer to peer commerce for goods that are in short supply
- Prayer, counseling and encouragement

At the end of the day, there are risks of emission (do something) just as their risks of omission (do nothing). Some providers have erred in favor of omission. Epik has a bit more faith in humanity.

If you object to that decision, it is your prerogative to do so, However, don't think that this choice is without consequence.

Last edited:
•••
Actually, I am the one who gets it.

Do you care for this?

I don't.

It is one thing to cancel a lot of mindless entertainment, and force people to cook at home and spend more time with their families.

It is another thing to systematically take away the capacity for private enterprise to function or to treat responsible humans like mindless cattle.

Those who think that a pandemic with 1-2% mortality rate is a license to roll out a worldwide police state are certainly empowered to do so.

At the same time, I reserve the right to empower others to respond with:

- Local news and information
- Peer to peer commerce for goods that are in short supply
- Prayer, counseling and encouragement

At the end of the day, there are risks of emission (do something) just as their risks of omission (do nothing). Some providers have erred in favor of omission. Epik has a bit more faith in humanity.

If you object to that decision, it is your prerogative to do so, However, don't think that this choice is without consequence.

Totally off topic and not related at all to my points of discussion it is like you replying to entirely different posts.. Do you even read my posts?

Realy Rob what are you doing here? It is not the time for marketing using viral controversy.. really it is not the proper time for this sh*t.

You support coronavirus domains to be sold for $$$$ ?! Good for you.. It is free world you can do wherever you like, but stop trying to justify it as something ethical because it is not

Last edited:
•••
Totally off topic and not related at all to my points of discussion it is like you replying to entirely different posts.. Do you even read my posts?

Realy Rob what are you doing here? It is not the time for marketing using viral controversy.. really it is not the proper time for this sh*t.

You support coronavirus domains to be sold for $$$$ ?! Good for you.. It is free world you can do wherever you like, but stop trying to justify it as something ethical because it is not

You're letting emotions cloud your judgement.

You say "unethical" Rob showed why CAN be ethical; numerous examples of positive Corona domain usages, "did you read his posts..?

This will all pass, soon, like all the rest...hopefully. Meanwhile i implore you to check out a website that would be banned under your hard-line, zero-tolerance, "blanket-ban"

https://covidvisualizer.com

This wouldnt exist under your draconian regime. Youre the crowd DAN, Sedo, etc virtue-signal, grandstand try appease, lose something more important. not your definition of "ethics"!

Samer

Last edited:
•••

I can assure you that my reading comprehension is just fine.

If you think it is ethical to force manufactured consensus through approved media outlets, that is your prerogative. I think otherwise. As long as domains are being used lawfully and responsibly, let them be used.

•••
@Rob Monster

One more try. Please answer these 2 questions with only "yes" or "no"

1- Is it ethical to get advantage of a global pandemic by selling on demand sanitizers at 10x price?

2- Is it ethical to get advantage of a global pandemic by selling on deman epidemic related domains at 100x reg price?

Thanks

•••
@Rob Monster

1- Is it ethical to get advantage of a global pandemic by selling on demand sanitizers at 10x price?

2- Is it ethical to get advantage of a global pandemic by selling on deman epidemic related domains at 100x reg price?

Thanks

You are conflating, throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

I will answers your questions:

1. I don't judge them.

2. I don't judge them.

Now answer mine:

Does the fact that there are criminals in society mean that we should lock up everyone?

Do you know what that guy who sells that sanitizer for far above cost is doing with their profits?

Do you understand that price is a free market safeguard against hoarding?

•••
@Rob Monster

Thanks
When you start comparing a domain to hand sanitizer you know things have got out of hand....:xf.rolleyes:

•••
•••
Does the fact that there are criminals in society mean that we should lock up everyone?

Dumb analogy. Additionally, that is a straw man argument as no reasonable person would ever seriously suggest that.

Do you know what that guy who sells that sanitizer for far above cost is doing with their profits?

I have mixed feelings on this. I am pro capitalism, to a point.

There is a reason though in capitalism, there still needs to be rules. Some people just have very low morals and ethics, and without limits in place the system could be highly abused.

Not really. If sanitizer is $50/bottle it just means the already richest people will have it and everyone else won't. The higher the price goes the fewer people have access to it.

With that said there is clearly a difference between a tangible staple good, and an intangible good.
You can't survive without food, medicine, water. You can survive without domains.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
You are conflating, throwing the baby with the bathwater.

I will answers your questions:

1. I don't judge them.

2. I don't judge them.

Now answer mine:

You are unable to answer with simple yes/no means that there is no point in discussing with you, it is one way discussion, continue discussing with your own self until you satisfy your ego.

I dont care about what they do with their profit. They should not sell it at high price in these conditions because lifes of thousands may depend on it! Their greed can be a reason that many die.

Your inability to comprehend basic ethical concepts is unbelievable, thats why I will not reply more to this discussion.

Last edited:
•••
Dumb analogy. Additionally, that is a straw man argument as no reasonable person would ever seriously suggest that.

I have mixed feelings on this. I am pro capitalism, to a point.

There is a reason though in capitalism, there still needs to be rules. Some people just have very low morals and ethics, and without limits in place the system could be highly abused.

Not really. It sanitizer is $50/bottle it just means the already richest people will have it and everyone else won't. The higher the price goes the fewer people have access to it.

With that said there is clearly a difference between a tangible staple good, and an intangible good.
You can't survive without food, medicine, water. You can survive without domains.

Brad

As stated prior, I would encourage folks to price with Make Offer pricing and tailor their response depending
on who wants the domain. That is the ethical approach to pricing domains in this category.

In my particular case, I owned UVSanitizer.com for many years. The appraised value was above $20K. I sold it for $6500 and was hoping to see it in use. So far it is still parked. I guess I sold it too cheap.

The world is going to need as many entrepreneurs and capitalists as possible to get out of this self-propagated mess. When US employment hits 30%, you will be thankful for the ones who never gave up.

•••
In my particular case, I owned UVSanitizer.com for many years. The appraised value was above $20K. I sold it for $6500 and was hoping to see it in use. So far it is still parked. I guess I sold it too cheap.

That is a product domain that had value before this, will have value now, and in the future.

I think there is a difference between buying a domain like that which is clearly not just playing on this pandemic, and to the amount of garbage that is being registered and peddled at the moment to try and profit directly off this pandemic.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
•••
Ostrados, my man, you are equating junk domains to life and death. Monster is stepping up to the plate, and trust me, it's not about DN he's stepping up to.

Do you honestly think anyone that's in dire straights with the covid gives two hoots about bogus corona domains registered by bandwagon trendees? They're going by advice of doctors. People that are prone to rumours, they will go to whatever lengths anyways to satisfy their appetite. Are these the people you want making your DN investing decisions for you? Come on now.

•••
disgusting is the hype exploitation

be it with hand sanitizers, domains

or registars fishing for new customers
for various services

in order to save free speech
or to save the world with religiousness
or other hypocrite claims

•••
Ostrados, my man, you are equating junk domains to life and death. Monster is stepping up to the plate, and trust me, it's not about DN he's stepping up to.

Do you honestly think anyone that's in dire straights with the covid gives two hoots about bogus corona domains registered by bandwagon trendees? They're going by advice of doctors. People that are prone to rumours, they will go to whatever lengths anyways to satisfy their appetite. Are these the people you want making your DN investing decisions for you? Come on now.

Someone can use these domains to help people during this deadly pandemic, others may use these domains to save lifes. When all coronavirus domains are taken, no option left but to pay $$$$, that money that will be spent by health organizations on domains worldwide could be saved to be spent on medical equipments to help infected people and save lifes!

But selfish people will never see the full picture because they just dont care, they only care about their own profits. Ethics are not even relevant for many people, they just call it capitalism and move on. OMG

Last edited:
•••
•••
In hard times like these it's even more clear which people/companies exercise ethics, moral and human values in the first place. Thumbs up DAN.

•••
I think that's a brilliant idea
which in this case as the human race is threatened as a whole
could do much good

unless it's misused of course

It is one thing to say: "please update your website to show this text. We would really appreciate it".

It is another thing to say: "you must update your site immediately or your site won't resolve."

The latter is censorship.

•••
Back