Dynadot

status-monitor Why am I being logged out?

NameSilo
Watch

ikhub

Top Member
Impact
Everytime I open namepros in chrome I need to login, even if I check the "stay logged in" option. Noticed this from today only. Anyone facing same issue or its me only?

Updates from NamePros:

Update on Mar 1, 2017 at 12:48 AM EST:

Login rates are returning to normal levels and we're no longer able to reproduce the issue. If you're still being logged out repeatedly, please let us know.

On Feb 28, Amazon Web Services, a popular service provider, experienced significant outages, resulting in several features on NamePros and other websites partially breaking. These issues were unrelated and were resolved by Amazon.

--Paul Buonopane

Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Steps:
We need to confirm that those steps were taken on each device that you use and then whether the problem persisted.

Thanks for all your help,
you should add this in the first post

•••
Steps:
We need to confirm that those steps were taken on each device that you use and then whether the problem persisted.

Thanks for all your help,

sorry Eric
I am not really folowing you why you are emphasizing the step of having to logout then login.. when everyone here was already saying that their issue has been that they were logged out 20 or so times a day and then had to login to use system.

you lost me there.. why there is a need to do it 21st time :)

thanks.

•••
Hello Eric,

Still facing the same issue even after selecting stay logged in.

With regards

•••
I did it and it worked. Powered my phone off, turned it on was still logged in.
Logging out manually is what he is asking.

•••
sorry Eric
I am not really folowing you why you are emphasizing the step of having to logout then login.. when everyone here was already saying that their issue has been that they were logged out 20 or so times a day and then had to login to use system.

you lost me there.. why there is a need to do it 21st time :)

thanks.

Don't worry about it; not relevant anymore. :)

•••
•••
•••
Still happening to me. I waited over 2 hours to come back into the forum, at that time I was logged out. If I close this window now and come back in I will still be logged in, but if I wait some period of time, I will be automatically logged out for some reason. Its like a cookie or something is expiring requiring another login.

BTW: I tried Eric Lyon's suggestion as well as other suggestions. I first noticed this either last night (FEB/26) or the day before. As I said I thought it was my problem - a firefox update, etc.. Now I see others posting the same behavior.

Last edited:
•••
Manually logging out and then logging in fixed it for me.

•••
Waited 22 minutes and came back, still logged in. Will wait longer next time and report.

•••
•••
I figured it was my IP shifting every so often, would dynamic IPs cause this?

•••
Don't worry about it; not relevant anymore. :)

ok :)
but this was more a curiosity question than a worry.
seems throughout the time issue was ongoing Eric was telling all to logout and login. when the issues they were having was precisely that they've been logged out and relogged about 20 times a day :)

I supposed I am missing something.

cheers

•••
has not happened for past couple hours here.

•••
I figured it was my IP shifting every so often, would dynamic IPs cause this?
Yes,

Every IP address will need to have its own session (Login will be required for each new IP address). If your IP address changes (This is common on mobile especially while traveling between cellphone towers), you'll have to login again.

Hope that helps,

Edited: Removed outdated information. Learn more

Last edited:
•••
this was more a curiosity question
Logging out was to confirm that older (Potentially problematic) cookies were being deleted (Logout deletes them) and not interfering with new ones. ;)

However, that was before this update:
Found an issue whereby sessions were being deleted as a result of database connection errors; looks like it was a bug in a driver. I've implemented a workaround for now.

You shouldn't need to re-login this time.

•••
Waited 95 minutes this time, had to log back in. Will wait some amount less than that and try again.

•••
Waited 95 minutes this time, had to log back in. Will wait some amount less than that and try again.

58 minutes and still logged in. Will increase time again... OR, is there confirmation that the issue is resolved?

•••
Not confident that it's resolved yet. The more I look at XenForo's session logic, the more horrified I get that hundreds of thousands of sites use this software without attempting to fix it.

Normally this would all be thoroughly tested over an extended period of time, but we need to release these updates quickly to more or less eliminate any impact from the recent Cloudflare incident.

Last edited:
•••
i don't mind having to log in regularly. It is a matter of getting used to it. Many websites are like this anyway.

•••
Yes,

Every IP address will need to have its own session (Login will be required for each new IP address). If your IP address changes (This is common on mobile especially while traveling between cellphone towers), you'll have to login again.

Hope that helps,

Ouch.. This is going to be painful on the phone and when using a mobile hotspot (which I use during my commute to-from work :(

•••
Yes,

Hope that helps,

It is annoying, but a least for now, I don't have to deactivate my VPN every time I want to post something on NamePros... :)

•••
Ouch.. This is going to be painful on the phone and when using a mobile hotspot (which I use during my commute to-from work :(

That's since been fixed.

It is annoying, but a least for now, I don't have to deactivate my VPN every time I want to post something on NamePros... :)

That's (probably) unrelated. Your VPN provider may have added new IP addresses to their pool from a different ISP that we haven't restricted yet, or, more likely, we've deemed their new ISP less risky and allow posts, but not registrations.

•••
That's since been fixed.

Can you describe more on the fix (So that I don't report a false-positive)? Do you mean to say IP changes will not log me out?

•••
Can you describe more on the fix (So that I don't report a false-positive)? Do you mean to say IP changes will not log me out?

Correct. It's an archaic security tactic that's both weak and inconvenient for users.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back