Dynadot

Whois lookups of your domains

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NYJimbo

Domain Re-AnimatorTop Member
Impact
I notice that at some registrars like Epik you can see the number of whois lookups being done on your domains.

If I look at my list I see a few that have nearly 200 lookups in the past 6 months. If I sort the list I can see them in descending order to zero.

What if any meaning would you take away from seeing hundreds of whois lookups for a domain ? Would that affect your pricing and would that be a reason you would hang on to a domain longer than others ?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Personally, I never considered that a useful metric.
The only indication that metric gives is that our dear internet is alive and kicking

I could be very wrong ofc but I truly believe that one whois lookup is enough, that of the buyer's ;)

•••
yes and no, could be robots. check uniques.

•••
I notice that at some registrars like Epik you can see the number of whois lookups being done on your domains.

If I look at my list I see a few that have nearly 200 lookups in the past 6 months. If I sort the list I can see them in descending order to zero.

What if any meaning would you take away from seeing hundreds of whois lookups for a domain ? Would that affect your pricing and would that be a reason you would hang on to a domain longer than others ?
Had the same the thoughts - I have a few in the 300+ category, I know people have them running into the 1000's

The colour coding is important

Green - multiple checks but not by the same person
Orange - multiple checks by the same person
Red - multiple checks by multiple people

When you click the number you can check the Whois log and get further details that way......and look into it in more detail, cross check the IP addresses and check the dates.....

Wish other registrars implemented it to be honest.......

•••
Last night, one of my checkers (local software) got a hickup. A programming error on my part.

What happened was, while I was afk, the software kept checking the same domain's whois over and over again for I don't know how long.

If the owner was with Epik, he would be a very happy man. Hundreds of whois checks from all over the world on the interface. Domain must really be worth renewing for 5+ years, right?
(btw. I use proxies)

As @The Durfer very correctly mentioned, what you see there could be anything.
The only real metric a domain for sale has is someone actively looking to buy the domain from you.. or at least make an inquiry.

•••
As (implicitly) suggested by @The Durfer it would be more interesting to see those same reports without known crawler netblocks. Perhaps show some additional info on country, city, type of query (web based, API, etc). You can then create a composite chart that is composed of the planetary midpoints of two or more horoscopes, and decide how to better price your domains.

•••
hello
thanks for you information

I wonder if only domain names registered on Epik can see this data?
upload_2021-2-2_15-1-6.png

• I tried it, but I didn't see the data

•••
Personally I'd say this data has no relevance to anything. A tiny to miscule percentage of the lookups can be attributed to interested buyers. I have thousands of lookups across groups of domains that have never received an offer. My guess is bots etc.

•••
Personally I'd say this data has no relevance to anything. A tiny to miscule percentage of the lookups can be attributed to interested buyers. I have thousands of lookups across groups of domains that have never received an offer. My guess is bots etc.

I check whois sometimes when deciding about my renewals, without any intention of buying.

•••
If you check the IP’s of the lookups you will see alot of repeated lookups by same IPs. Especially close to renewal time. I disregard it as bots or other domainers wanting to see if you are dropping that name. Don’t base your keeping or dropping of names off the lookups.

•••

... Countless gov's, cybersecurity co., registry, registrar, research, lab, data providers (s.a. DN tools) etc based bots hitting whois on a weekly basis. Deepens on domain name history (scam, spam, expired etc), keywords, extension (untrusted extensions).

Regards

•••
•••
•••
I think robots can check the domain details.

•••
•••
Back