IT.COM

Who to trust?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Oliver777

Account Closed
Impact
Do you think that shared web hosting providers must increase transfer and space quotas to enormous numbers that no one uses? offering 20 GB - 50 GB transfer per month is reasonable. But claiming you offer anyone 500 GB per month transfer is like offering cruise to the moon.

It is obvious that most web sites can not take advantage of offers like those! So what do you think hosts should do. To offer something that no one will use or to focus on different things like value-added services.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Oliver777 said:
Do you think that shared web hosting providers must increase transfer and space quotas to enormous numbers that no one uses? offering 20 GB - 50 GB transfer per month is reasonable. But claiming you offer anyone 500 GB per month transfer is like offering cruise to the moon.

It is obvious that most web sites can not take advantage of offers like those! So what do you think hosts should do. To offer something that no one will use or to focus on different things like value-added services.

They are overselling (some ppl use more some ppl less traffic and space!!) and most hosts will give you the possibility to use your 3T Traffic but they will have certain restricitons e.g. CPU restrictions, so if there are too many people who are trying to download that file your server will shut down for a few and will come back after 5min or so.

Overselling hosts are good for parking sites ..but if you need quality hosting pick a serious host with normal offers e.g. 1GB Space and 500GB Traffic.

•••
All hosts have caveats in their terms. Best to read them carefully.

As sOliver has mentioned, it'll be the CPU usage that will get your account suspended before anything else.

Pick a host that can grow with your site, particularly if you need to move to a dedicated environment down the road.

•••
Any decent host allows their clients to change his package plan for a bigger one if his web site has started to overload the server. It's quite natural. It must be stated in host's SLA.

•••
Hello Oliver!
I like you comparision about Moon. Agree with you.
Overselleing is most marketing deal. I think that you have to understand that for 500GB of space for 2 bucks web hosting provider must have 2U dedicated server.

•••
You said it, they are offering a cruise to moon and there are many who go for such a holiday plan even though they need to go to next town.

Thats right, they will be lured to see such a huge spec and will fall into it. that is the marketing mimic.

•••
The key for those that don't employ the heavily oversold model is a cross between finding a niche and educating the customer as to why they won't be able to use those 3TB worth of traffic they think they are paying for. A lot of people fall victim to the "more is better" train or thought, or the "it will be there should I need it" train.

•••
I saw a shared hosting provider offering 12,000gb of bandwidth today for $5. Crazy.

Andrew

•••
Well i am currently being hosted free, unlimited lol

But i think if you are paying.. you will never need anything more than 50gb diskspace (huge website, or a uploader) and about 250gb bandwidth, but that is for massive sites.

•••
That's one of the threats of massive overselling all the other hosts trying to keep up with oversellers are bound to offer bigger and less realistic plans.
While controlled overselling makes no harm and might be useful to clients as well as the host.
I'm quite aware that the host I'm using now webhostingbuzz.com oversells, and I don't use all the resources allocated to my plan, but my site's performance is smooth enough and I still have disk space and bandwidth left to use them for another web site if the need arises.

•••
Lonely Designs said:
Well i am currently being hosted free, unlimited lol
But i think if you are paying.. you will never need anything more than 50gb diskspace (huge website, or a uploader) and about 250gb bandwidth, but that is for massive sites.

rondo said:
I saw a shared hosting provider offering 12,000gb of bandwidth today for $5. Crazy.
Andrew

12000GB & 250gb bandwidth ? Dont think thats right, it should be transfer volume (traffic).

And not least it needs both bandwidth and traffic. Example would be if you get 120000000 GB traffic for free but have bandwidth of only 64K (ISDN),
would not much help your site.

•••
I usually stay away from "Unlimited/Unmetered" hosts. Also, steer clear of the lifetime hosting plans. The companies that offer such things usually stick around for a couple months and then disappear (like the scam shoutserv.com i fell for).

•••
CrazyTech said:
The key for those that don't employ the heavily oversold model is a cross between finding a niche and educating the customer as to why they won't be able to use those 3TB worth of traffic they think they are paying for. A lot of people fall victim to the "more is better" train or thought, or the "it will be there should I need it" train.

That is too true, too many people say my plans are expensive because I don't offer 3TB worth of traffic. I still offer a good amount of traffic, but people just love overselling too much.

•••
I think that web hosting companies shouldn't. I think that there enough kinds of web hosting (I mean shared, reseller, dedicated etc..)
Anyway we always stay with companies we like the most and which do everything for customers like godaddy.com, hostcats.com, wirenine.com do.

•••
Amount doesn't matter, you should concern about the quality ensurement. Like when you look at bluehost or hostgator, definitely you can see they are overselling, but what matters with me is the quality ensurement. They maintain the server uptime and stuffs which makes them perfect in business, the same thing you can see with site5. So in real, i have no complaint with the amount stuffs, wait a few days and check the stability of your host, that should say you how they are.

Regards

•••
Waiter said:
I think that web hosting companies shouldn't. I think that there enough kinds of web hosting (I mean shared, reseller, dedicated etc..)
Anyway we always stay with companies we like the most and which do everything for customers like godaddy.com, hostcats.com, wirenine.com do.
Never hear about hostcats, though their whois record says the domain was created in 2003, are they from India?

•••
In my opinion it is about a niche that you offer that many or no one else does. Target your visitors by that certain niche also. This is just in my opinion thought.

•••
I'd say you have to offfer something unique in that niche. Only in this case you can expect for profit.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back