IT.COM

discuss Who to sue?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

ThatNameGuy

Top Member
Impact
It's been less than a year ago when Go Daddy sold me the domain Reservations.online (note, i have a receipt for the domain). Then when they realized they may have made a mistake, they took/stole it from me and turned around and tried to sell it back to me for $500,000 despite my already having a buyer interested in buying my domain......law suit pending.

This just sets the stage for a similar transaction that occurred a few days ago. I purchased the domain Invest.link for $468 from NameSilo on 6/21/2022 (for which i have a receipt). When i had an inquiry a few days ago about the domain i'd purchased, i checked my account at NameSilo and discovered it wasn't there....imagine my surprise:xf.eek: When i queried NameSilo their response was, "looks like the domain was not delivered to you till now let me open a ticket for you so we can check what went wrong" The next thing i receive is;
"We have just issued a full refund - unfortunately initial seller had listed it fraudulently on Sedo. You will receive full amount back in few business days as soon as refund is processed"

Now back to my original question....Who to sue? So far you've seen just just two names involved in this transaction NameSilo and Sedo, however there are a lot more. Without going into details here are other names associated with the domain Invest.link;

Uniregistrty - Frank Schilling
Afternic - a Go Daddy company
Dan.com
Nova Registry LTD

While i haven't met with my lawyer yet.....who would you sue? All the above? By starting this thread I'm just trying to shed light on an industry that needs critical exposure.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would bet that the terms you agreed to in order to use these sites allow them to do what they did. I know it sucks, but every domainer has stories of buying domains that were fraudulently listed and getting a refund instead of the domain. It happens all the time.

Companies should do more to prevent it, but I am not sure your lawsuits will get you anywhere.

•••
Pretty clear cut with Sedo....

"4.1.1. Legal Relationship as between Sedo, Buyer and Seller
Sedo is neither owner of the Domains listed in the Domain Marketplace, nor does it have any influence or control on the business conducted among Users of the Domain Marketplace. The responsibility for the content of Domain listings, including the accuracy of any statistics, whether measured and displayed by Sedo or otherwise, lies exclusively with the respective Sellers. Sedo shall not be liable for legal transactions or other acts of Domain Marketplace Users. This also applies to any violations of rights of a third party through the use of Sedo's Services, including, but not limited to, the listing of a Domain in the Domain Marketplace that infringes intellectual property rights, rights of the use of a name, and trademark rights. Buyer and Seller agree that Sedo shall not be held responsible for the failure of either party to a purchase and sale agreement to complete their obligations under such an agreement, and that Sedo, as the neutral facilitator of the Domain Marketplace and associated Services, shall not be subject to any claims arising from the attempted purchase and sale of Domains"

https://sedo.com/us/about-us/policies/domain-marketplace-agreement/

Namesilo will have it covered as well.......

Last edited:
•••
It's been less than a year ago when Go Daddy sold me the domain Reservations.online (note, i have a receipt for the domain). Then when they realized they may have made a mistake, they took/stole it from me and turned around and tried to sell it back to me for $500,000 despite my already having a buyer interested in buying my domain......law suit pending.

This just sets the stage for a similar transaction that occurred a few days ago. I purchased the domain Invest.link for $468 from NameSilo on 6/21/2022 (for which i have a receipt). When i had an inquiry a few days ago about the domain i'd purchased, i checked my account at NameSilo and discovered it wasn't there....imagine my surprise:xf.eek: When i queried NameSilo their response was, "looks like the domain was not delivered to you till now let me open a ticket for you so we can check what went wrong" The next thing i receive is;
"We have just issued a full refund - unfortunately initial seller had listed it fraudulently on Sedo. You will receive full amount back in few business days as soon as refund is processed"

Now back to my original question....Who to sue? So far you've seen just just two names involved in this transaction NameSilo and Sedo, however there are a lot more. Without going into details here are other names associated with the domain Invest.link;

Uniregistrty - Frank Schilling
Afternic - a Go Daddy company
Dan.com
Nova Registry LTD

While i haven't met with my lawyer yet.....who would you sue? All the above? By starting this thread I'm just trying to shed light on an industry that needs critical exposure.
I would just count it as a lesson learned read the terms of the platforms and you'll find they can take them back. I doubt a lawsuit would be effective in getting money or domains. I'd just take it as a loss. Nothing you can really do.
Regards

•••
what does it mean gd sold it to u...and for how much

•••
Ask them evidence that the domain was listed fraudulently.
I not want to do investigation but can advice, look where the domain moved, changed hands etc.
It's not excluded to be a namesilo scheme, if you look it is listed at dan by domainsink, their domain is registered at namesilo, try find who is behind this domain name, it might be some namesilo daughter biz.
If it's their biz I would sue namesilo.
No comment about GoDaddy, everybody knows what whale it is and what tactics they have, not mentioning NameBright but sooner or later I will bring them down.

•••
Ask them evidence that the domain was listed fraudulently.
I not want to do investigation but can advice, look where the domain moved, changed hands etc.
It's not excluded to be a namesilo scheme, if you look it is listed at dan by domainsink, their domain is registered at namesilo, try find who is behind this domain name, it might be some namesilo daughter biz.
If it's their biz I would sue namesilo.
No comment about GoDaddy, everybody knows what whale it is and what tactics they have, not mentioning NameBright but sooner or later I will bring them down.
Thanks for getting back....i don't take shit off anyone especially the likes of Go Daddy. My personal reputation is 10X that of Go Daddy assuming they have any reputation at all.

I actually love it when people say, "there's nothing you can do about it", however there is something I can do, and that's to totally TRASH their business model any way i can.

I have a background in investigations and i have NO FEAR>:(

•••
Pretty clear cut with Sedo....

"4.1.1. Legal Relationship as between Sedo, Buyer and Seller
Sedo is neither owner of the Domains listed in the Domain Marketplace, nor does it have any influence or control on the business conducted among Users of the Domain Marketplace. The responsibility for the content of Domain listings, including the accuracy of any statistics, whether measured and displayed by Sedo or otherwise, lies exclusively with the respective Sellers. Sedo shall not be liable for legal transactions or other acts of Domain Marketplace Users. This also applies to any violations of rights of a third party through the use of Sedo's Services, including, but not limited to, the listing of a Domain in the Domain Marketplace that infringes intellectual property rights, rights of the use of a name, and trademark rights. Buyer and Seller agree that Sedo shall not be held responsible for the failure of either party to a purchase and sale agreement to complete their obligations under such an agreement, and that Sedo, as the neutral facilitator of the Domain Marketplace and associated Services, shall not be subject to any claims arising from the attempted purchase and sale of Domains"

Namesilo will have it covered as well.......
i hear what you're saying Nick, but i've always known that a few dissatisfied customers sharing their dissatisfaction with the world can bring Goliath to his knees:xf.wink: Maybe industry wide "class action" is the way to go. And for the record, your really don't know me:unsure:

•••
I would bet that the terms you agreed to in order to use these sites allow them to do what they did. I know it sucks, but every domainer has stories of buying domains that were fraudulently listed and getting a refund instead of the domain. It happens all the time.

Companies should do more to prevent it, but I am not sure your lawsuits will get you anywhere.
Oh....you're right about the "small print", but that doesn't deter me. As much as anything I'm seeking the publicity that a mega million dollar law suit can have especially considering similar circumstances. Do you recall me saying that Go Daddy sold me Reservations.online, took/stole it back, and then had the audacity to try and sell it to me for $500,000:xf.eek:......btw, all of this is documented. With regards my transaction with NameSilo for invest.link, i see where it's still for sale but for the price of $4,888 instead of the $478 i originally paid for it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

•••

How's that lawsuit working out?

•••
How's that lawsuit working out?
about the same way "False Accusations" of the wrong Richard Morris being a cyber-squatter are playing out:xf.wink:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back