IT.COM

question Who owns or controls cctld’s?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
A lawyer recently told me that a country does not control a cctld and added that it is icann that owns or controls cctld. Can someone correct or confirm this? I was under the impression each cctld is owned by its respective country. Was I wrong all this time?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
A lawyer recently told me that a country does not control a cctld and added that it is icann that owns or controls cctld. Can someone correct or confirm this? I was under the impression each cctld is owned by its respective country. Was I wrong all this time?

Don't ever trust that lawyer for things domain related :). Icann has zero say about ccTLDs.

Edit:

This pretty much covers the basics
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_code_top-level_domain

Last edited:
•••
The lawyer is wrong. Most ccTLDs are delegated to the government or authority of a country or territory. The government or authority may then decide to delegate it to a local registry or a registry services provider. The legislation that applies to the ccTLD is typically that of the country or territory. ICANN does not control ccTLDs.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back