Dynadot

advice Who is your target - End User? Domainers? Stop buying garbage

NameSilo
Watch
I will be the first to admit that I have bought some really bad names in the past - really bad. I will not renew them and many have fallen off.

Who is your target? Stop buying garbage and start putting your money into something that will sell. I get lists of names daily from people wanting me to buy their junk and I don't think they realize its junk.

How do you know if your name is garbage:
  • Would you buy it?
  • Who is the end user?
  • What will an end user do with the name?
If you cant answer those questions you have garbage - here is my latest list from a user:
BestBuyout.com
BlacksGifts.com
FashionAreas.com
HairFail.com
InsuranceDebts.com
InsuranceEstate.com
MorePins.com
ReviewMotors.com
ShopYart.com

Just because 2 names have a meaning alone doesn't mean it has a real value slapped together.

Who is the end user for these names? What domainer would buy these names?

Just my opinion - think about who is going to buy what you are regsitering

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I have never made a call - I just assumed it would piss people off. Have you ever had a sale from a call?
All my sales are email driven
I don't do a lot of outbound, but I have made a few sales from inbound calls.

Once a guy called me and said, "Uh, I'm calling to inquire about a domain name..".
I said, "Which domain are you interested in purchasing?".
He then says, "I would like to make an offer to buy -----.com".
I said "Okay, how much would you like to offer?".
He then says, "25".
I said, "25 what?".
He then says, "25 dollars".
I then said, "I appreciate the offer and I'd love you to have the domain, but that domain is worth about $2800 to me."
He says, "Okay, let me think about it.".
I then said, "No problem, feel free to visit the domain. You can actually securely submit your offer right on the webpage.".
He said "Thank You".

Couple of days later, I get an offer for $2800 right through the lander. It was the weirdest thing ever.

•••
I have never made a call - I just assumed it would piss people off. Have you ever had a sale from a call?
All my sales are email driven

I am better at phone. I get immediate feedback cues in voice, words, tone, etc. Also saves me time.

•••
)))

And all thesee "mom and pop" businesses complain that they are being taken over or overrun by a big guy, when they miss so many opportunities.

To get an fm frequency and all the permits etc. cost $xxx,xxx to $x,xxx,xxx. Then you have staff, offices, equipment etc. and you don't see value in cutting the length of your domain name by more than 2 times for exact match.
I am thinking of expanding uglydork.com - why not I'm laid off and I don't need to pay rent or staff

•••
Let go I never will. Theres no forgetting bad business. Fueling the beast? I'm supposed to be frightened? Lol

come on
please calm down
I have totally forgotten my bad experience with you too ;)

Last edited:
•••
•••
You are so right. I was checking potential end users for one of my names and found one in the US that uses word+radio.com for their site. So I called the owner and asked if she wants to upgrade to word.com

Her answer: "No". I asked why. She said "Well, it is going to cost money, right?". Just for experiments sake, I quoted really low price in mid $xxx, near reseller price, although I never do it, just had a feel that for this person it won't matter. And she said, no, we are not interested.

Imagine, this people charge that much for few 30 sec blocks of advertising and she did not see the value.

I told this story in another thread
but it fits
and I just love this experiece:

I called companies in germany
for the excact match main 1 single keyword.com

they all (5 ) said "no thanks"
we don't need it
we have a domain..

talking about the main industry defining 1 word exact match .com
( I was offering it for a low 5K € as it was a handreg )

( luckly I noticed that I made a typing error while handregging - I owned a missspelling .. )

but. I was trying to sell the right spelling...

•••
I told this story in another thread
but it fits
and I just love this experiece:

I called companies in germany
for the excact match main 1 single keyword.com

they all (5 ) said "no thanks"
we don't need it
we have a domain..

talking about the main industry defining 1 word exact match .com
( I was offering it for a low 5K € as it was a handreg )

( luckly I noticed that I made a typing error while handregging - I owned a missspelling .. )

but. I was trying to sell the right spelling...
OMG - imagine if they would had said yes? Holy crap.

•••
We had a bad experience?

•••
I just have to post this for number 750 - I hold no grudges even for @imadoer and @promo

• We are all entitled to our opinions
  • We all have the freedom to choose
  • We all make and lose money

I wish you all health and happiness for you and your families - those things cant be bought

And I hope @Grilled is OK - that burn looked brutal.

Last edited:
•••
I am thinking of expanding uglydork.com - why not I'm laid off and I don't need to pay rent or staff

That is a bold move to build a brand around that name. It might work, if everything is done in consistent manner, from logo, to design, to slogan, to messaging etc. to mitigate negativity and turn it into witty.

•••
I suppose there might be people that would relate.

Not sure it would be my first choice but there is not only one formula for success.

I've seen people on those singing shows that really believed their family and friends, and thought they were good but they werent.

I wouldn't lie to you. I think you could move much faster with a shorter, more catchy name. Perhaps I could interest you in a few alternatives? :)

Just kidding...go for it.

•••
come on
please calm down
I have totally forgotten my bad experience with you too ;)

Bad experience with me lol your funding time frame was crap and didnt work for me and I got higher offers on the domain. But I honored the agreement right? not like this guy

@frank-germany

I really expect more from you then to defend a guy like this.

I thought you where a honorable guy I thought you respected good eithics. I guess I was wrong

Last edited:
•••
Bad experience with me lol your funding time frame was crap. I got higher offers on the domain and honored the agreement not like this guy
I miss your old avatar....the general one. it was cool. This one is okay, but when I see your name, I think of that one. :)

•••

Im sorry i wont have any respect for you until you right your wrongs and change the way you are to your peers

•••
Bad experience with me lol your funding time frame was crap and didnt work for me and I got higher offers on the domain. But I honored the agreement right? not like this guy

@frank-germany

I really expect more from you then to defend a guy like this.

I thought you where a honorable guy I thought you respected good eithics. I guess I was wrong

looks like you have a strong memory
thats great

now go and use it for something more productive

•••
Im sorry i wont have any respect for you until you right your wrongs and change the way you are to your peers
I don't really care

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
OMG - imagine if they would had said yes? Holy crap.
Years ago, I sold a guy a ,com name, I received the money and went to transfer it, and I realised that it was a .net. The guy was quite reasonable about it, but of course I had to give him back his money.

Life is much easier if you just deal in .coms. :)

•••
I find it quite hard to find end users for only domain names (no matter how good I think they are) :P

I find out if I make a good site, get some traffic and perhaps some revenue it is easier to sell it :D

•••
•••
What a funny thread. Lol

•••
I will be the first to admit that I have bought some really bad names in the past - really bad. I will not renew them and many have fallen off.

Who is your target? Stop buying garbage and start putting your money into something that will sell. I get lists of names daily from people wanting me to buy their junk and I don't think they realize its junk.

How do you know if your name is garbage:
  • Would you buy it?
  • Who is the end user?
  • What will an end user do with the name?
If you cant answer those questions you have garbage - here is my latest list from a user:
BestBuyout.com
BlacksGifts.com
FashionAreas.com
HairFail.com
InsuranceDebts.com
InsuranceEstate.com
MorePins.com
ReviewMotors.com
ShopYart.com

Just because 2 names have a meaning alone doesn't mean it has a real value slapped together.

Who is the end user for these names? What domainer would buy these names?

Just my opinion - think about who is going to buy what you are regsitering

Most of the domainers think its lottery but its not. It's all about strategy, right time to sell, marketing.

•••
Most of the domainers think its lottery but its not. It's all about strategy, right time to sell, marketing.

Undeveloped domain names are potential dreams. To sell them. you need to imagine the dream, and then find the right dreamer.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back