Dynadot

advice Who is your target - End User? Domainers? Stop buying garbage

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I will be the first to admit that I have bought some really bad names in the past - really bad. I will not renew them and many have fallen off.

Who is your target? Stop buying garbage and start putting your money into something that will sell. I get lists of names daily from people wanting me to buy their junk and I don't think they realize its junk.

How do you know if your name is garbage:
  • Would you buy it?
  • Who is the end user?
  • What will an end user do with the name?
If you cant answer those questions you have garbage - here is my latest list from a user:
BestBuyout.com
BlacksGifts.com
FashionAreas.com
HairFail.com
InsuranceDebts.com
InsuranceEstate.com
MorePins.com
ReviewMotors.com
ShopYart.com

Just because 2 names have a meaning alone doesn't mean it has a real value slapped together.

Who is the end user for these names? What domainer would buy these names?

Just my opinion - think about who is going to buy what you are regsitering

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Having in mind that he's and ex service desk manager, who should be a diplomat and communicator, he should be able to build relationships, should be emphatic...I think that he was just someone with technical skills but no people management or relationship management skills, or no understanding or interest in the wider business context and outcomes....I think I understand now why he is an ex it service desk manager.
Again - I am here to help people - your opinion is of no value to me in any way. Why are you still here? Keep feeding the beast. I should have sold hatred.com to you?

•••
I really love a hefty debate
And I am always welcoming controversy

thanks @uglydork

I have a lot of sh*tty domains
just I don't know which are which
and when I delete a domain
namesilo tells me its going to be auctioned

come on its sh*t
now I need to renew it ....
I don't shy away from a debate as long as its civil. Even @boker is fine - just voicing is opinion. I don't mind at all. We all feel strongly about things and are passionate about the business.

•••
I am so pissed that I didn t buy hatred com from you for 9k USD when I had the opportunity
I did not see the value
and I didnt know that milo guy
and if I knew that milo guy
I would have never thought of contacting him
and I wouldn t had known the tool
that helped you find his contact details

and now you are in the media and not me

did I miss anything?

oops yes

I wouldn't had the balls to ask for 250K

here we go

Last edited:
•••
Just 2 months ago you were asking peoples what to do with your domains and selling your top portofolio( including hatred.com) for less than what you paid for and now your the pro here giving advice. And yes, this is common sense, if somebody it's talking to you in private you should not replicate without his consent, you are part of a community and you should act accordingly. I have made 12 end users sales and close to 300 to resellers just in 2017( it's true, xxx and xxxx sales), why do you think you're the one that should be giving advices?

I am waiting for your advice
as you are very exprienced

•••
Again - I am here to help people - your opinion is of no value to me in any way. Why are you still here? Keep feeding the beast. I should have sold hatred.com to you?
I will give you this, I wouldn't have paid more than xxx for hatred, because of the negative connotation, so at least from this point of view you were right. I don't have any issues with you, my only issue is that you shouldn't pretend to be the pro here and give advice, at least not yet. You have the background to be successful in this business, but as I see it, you have a lot of learning to do and you should not give advice to the new guys like if they follow your words it's impossible to be wrong. I have a lot of learning to do myself, even if I make a profit out of this month by month, but I wouldn't teach anybody something until I'm 100% that it can go wrong and after I have tested it hundreds of times.

•••
•••
I am waiting for your advice
as you are very exprienced
I've just said that I'm not in a position to give any advice, even if I have made a profit in every month from my first day when I've started.

Last edited:
•••
It's not about bad times, it's about winning a lottery ticket and that acting like your the top business man. When you are trying to sell a name loosing money and after 1 months you get lucky and sell it for much more, this is not knowledge, it's just luck.

pretent to know
is one way to learn

and as far as I understand it wasn't pure luck
but stubborn salesmanship

•••
•••
•••
I will give you this, I wouldn't have paid more than xxx for hatred, because of the negative connotation, so at least from this point of view you were right. I don't have any issues with you, my only issue is that you shouldn't pretend to be the pro here and give advice, at least not yet. You have the background to be successful in this business, but as I see it, you have a lot of learning to do and you should not give advice to the new guys like if they follow your words it's impossible to be wrong. I have a lot of learning to do myself, even if I make a profit out of this month by month, but I wouldn't teach anybody something until I'm 100% that it can go wrong and after I have tested it hundreds of times.
Now we are getting somewhere - I promise you I am not selling myself as any expert - you wont find any post where I claim to be an expert. I have been doing this a long time and I finally had a 6 figure sale. I earned it, nobody contacted me.
All I was doing was trying to point out that a lot of newbies are registering garbage and they should stop wasting their money. I was in no way pumping myself at all. I am always wiling to share all my information to anyone

•••
the luck was
that nobody bought it for 12K
So he was twice lucky, he should buy some lottery tickets, but it's not knowledge, this is what I'm trying to say.

•••
I think that it was luck combine with eager to make more money...if he was aware of the value he never could try to sell the same and other strong 4-5 names for 12k just one month before that, see here: https://www.namepros.com/threads/ha...s-org-stamp-org-perm-net-all-1-price.1020938/
Your damn right - 100% - I would have been happy to make that profit. Instead, nobody wanted it and I went out and marketed the name. I was being lazy and trying to sell it here quickly. I know better

•••
So he was twice lucky, he should buy some lottery tickets, but it's not knowledge, this is what I'm trying to say.
Well - it was some knowledge and digging and luck.

•••

he done a great job
wish it was me ;)

•••
Alright Rich, we got the big sale, the new avatar pic, the controversial threads, now we need to get you a catchphrase for peoples crappy names...

I'm thinking something along the lines of...

DonkeyDung?

•••
Now we are getting somewhere - I promise you I am not selling myself as any expert - you wont find any post where I claim to be an expert. I have been doing this a long time and I finally had a 6 figure sale. I earned it, nobody contacted me.
All I was doing was trying to point out that a lot of newbies are registering garbage and they should stop wasting their money. I was in no way pumping myself at all. I am always wiling to share all my information to anyone
Your post is in the 'advice' section, this is what cached my eye in the first place...I wouldn't probably even read your post if it wasn't in the 'advice' section, but it's very dangerous to give an advice if you are not 100% that it's a good one and it can't go wrong...the next thing you will see it's that all new guys will start asking 150k for every name they have and they will end up with a big hole in the pocket. Also, if you can buy a name for 1$ and can sell it for 100$ and you can replicate that it's nothing wrong, it's a great way of doing a business and making 100 times more than what you have paid for. There are a lot of multibillion companies selling just 1$ stuff and making lots of money.

Last edited:
•••
These are pretty good. Not the best but definitely not sh*t like you're calling them.

HairFail.com a site or product about hair loss

MorePins.com something that could be used for Pinterest marketing

ReviewMotors.com car and truck reviews site

I too think that hairfail & reviewmotors are OK. Would I pay more than reg fee for them? Probably not... Depending on the day, might reg them though should they be available.

•••
Your post is in the 'advice' section, this is what cached my eye in the first place...I wouldn't probably even read your post if it wasn't in the 'advice' section, but it's very dangerous to give an advice if you are not 100% that it's a good one and it can't go wrong...the next thing you will see it's that all new guys will start asking 150k for every name they have and they will end up with a big hole in the pocket. Also, if you can buy a name for 1$ and can sell it for 100$ and you can replicate that it's nothing wrong, it's a great way of doing a business and making 100 times more than what you have paid for. There are a lot of multibillion companies selling just 1$ stuff and making lots of money.

that would be really cool if we all started to ask for 150k for every name
as then there would be a lot of 150K sales in near future

•••
So I have been watching the Namepros atmosphere closely for this past week and there are around 4-5 threads making rounds here. What's common?
All about one guy and that's @uglydork

Yes, sure he closed a big shot sale. Everyone congratulated him.. Blah, blah. End of story. Not really. All that fuss could/should have ended up in 1 or most probably 3 threads but how come he's still exploding everywhere.

I think Mr. @uglydork knows exactly what he's doing. He's making the most of the opportunity to make his brand stronger. At first, sure, he used to spark some controversy but now he doesn't even need to do that anymore. Good or Bad PR? Doesn't matter. What matters is being in the News. And I guess @uglydork is doing a pretty good job at this.

I'm not glorifying the guy. Neither I'm going to speculate whatever he's doing is right or not.
I just speak what I see. No judging. Maybe that's how it should be. Right?
Oh Hell, what do I know..

•••
that would be really cool if we all started to ask for 150k for every name
as then there would be a lot of 150K sales in near future
Or a lot of bankrupt guys, making a third mortgage and waiting for the 150k sale. Let's face it, if the new owner would ever try to sell that name for that amount or even half that amount, nobody will give him. Let me ask you, if you could have the chance to buy it now for 50k, knowing that it was sold for 150k, you would buy it? I dont think that there is another guy out there who will pay even half that amount. It's good to be lucky, but you can't count on it and believe that your business will succeed.

•••
Or a lot of bankrupt guys, making a third mortgage and waiting for the 150k sale. Let's face it, if the new owner would ever try to sell that name for that amount or even half that amount, nobody will give him. Let me ask you, if you could have the chance to buy it now for 50k, knowing that it was sold for 150k, you would buy it? I dont think that there is another guy out there who will pay even half that amount. It's good to be lucky, but you can't count on it and believe that your business will succeed.

honestly I think you don't get it

•••
So I have been watching the Namepros atmosphere closely for this past week and there are around 4-5 threads making rounds here. What's common?
All about one guy and that's @uglydork

Yes, sure he closed a big shot sale. Everyone congratulated him.. Blah, blah. End of story. Not really. All that fuss could/should have ended up in 1 or most probably 3 threads but how come he's still exploding everywhere.

I think Mr. @uglydork knows exactly what he's doing. He's making the most of the opportunity to make his brand stronger. At first, sure, he used to spark some controversy but now he doesn't even need to do that anymore. Good or Bad PR? Doesn't matter. What matters is being in the News. And I guess @uglydork is doing a pretty good job at this.

I'm not glorifying the guy. Neither I'm going to speculate whatever he's doing is right or not.
I just speak what I see. No judging. Maybe that's how it should be. Right?
Oh Hell, what do I know..
It's not the first time when people are talking about bad publicity being good. Do you think that google it's happy for bad publicity for being cached manipulating the search engine, or toyota having bad publicity for having some big issues with their cars? Bad publicity could be good in some areas like, hollywood stars, guns, s*x and gambling. Otherwise, nobody want's bad publicity.

•••
It's not the first time when people are talking about bad publicity being good. Do you think that google it's happy for bad publicity for being cached manipulating the search engine, or toyota having bad publicity for having some big issues with their cars? Bad publicity could be good in some areas like, hollywood stars, guns, s*x and gambling. Otherwise, nobody want's bad publicity.

it s all about controversy

"The idea that no publicity can do harm is clearly open to question. For someone seeking notoriety and a somewhat scandalous reputation, like Marie Lloyd and Mae West in days gone by, or Paris Hilton in our era, that may be true. The shareholders of BP and Toyota, which have both suffered falls in their market price due to worldwide publicizing of their recent difficulties, may feel differently.

'There's no such thing as bad publicity' is often associated with Phineas T. Barnum, the 19th century American showman and circus owner. Barnum was a self-publicist of the first order and never missed an opportunity to present his wares to the public. As with many other supposed quotations, there's no hard evidence to link the 'bad publicity' quotation to him.

The proverbial expression began to be used in the early 20th century. The earliest version that I have found in print is from the US newspaper The Atlanta Constitution, January, 1915:

All publicity is good if it is intelligent."

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/there-is-no-such-thing-as-bad-publicity.html

"
Long before I even got into the PR game, I’d always heard people say “there’s no such thing as bad publicity.” The theory is that as long as people are talking about you, it’s a good thing. Even if they’re saying awful things about you or your company, the publicity is supposed to still be good because your name is on the top of people’s minds, keeping you relevant.

And in some cases, this is true. Just the other day, we talked about how Kanye West is the king of controversy. The hip hop superstar seems to always be on the receiving end of negative media coverage, but in his case, it’s actually served to help his career. It seems like the more negative attention he gets, the more people buy his albums. In short, he thrives on the “bad publicity.”

But Kanye is the exception, not the rule. The idea that there’s no such thing as bad publicity is laughable. It’s totally insane.

Just ask BP. Do you think they enjoyed being in the spotlight for the disastrous oil spill in the Gulf? Do you think they enjoyed having people boycott their fueling stations? Do you think they thought it was cool that there was a BP oil spill Halloween costume?
"

http://www.ereleases.com/pr-fuel/biggest-pr-myth-of-all/

Last edited:
•••
Some years ago a tobacco company launched a cigarette called "Strand" - they used the advertising slogan "You are never alone with a Strand". A few people commented that it made it sound like a cigarette for social failures. Killed the brand stone dead very quickly.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back