James Booth

votes
    2.1%
  • 9th (tie)

Bob Parsons

votes
    2.1%
  • 9th (tie)

Reberry Brothers (Andrew Reberry & Jeff Reberry)

votes
    2.1%
  • 10th (tie)

Mike Carson

votes
    1.8%
  • 10th (tie)

Braden Pollock

votes
    1.8%
  • 11th

Thunayan Al-Ghanim (FMA)

votes
    1.4%
  • 12th

Anything.com

votes
    1.1%
  • 13th (tie)

Mike Berkens

votes
    0.7%
  • 13th (tie)

Nat Cohen

votes
    0.7%
  • 13th (tie)

George Kirikos

votes
    0.7%
  • 13th (tie)

Igal Lichtman (Mrs.Jello)

votes
    0.7%
  • 14th (tie)

Mike Zapolin

vote
    0.4%
  • 14th (tie)

Scott Day

vote
    0.4%
  • 14th (tie)

Jay Chapman

vote
    0.4%
  • 15th (tie)

Garry Chernoff

votes
    0.0%
  • 15th (tie)

Marc Ostrofsky

votes
    0.0%
  • 15th (tie)

David and Michael Castello

votes
    0.0%
  • 15th (tie)

Chris Chena

votes
    0.0%
  • 15th (tie)

Andy Booth

votes
    0.0%
  • 15th (tie)

Greg McLemore (Web Magic)

votes
    0.0%

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
It’s been 7 years since we did a poll on the greatest domain name investor of all time on TheDomains.com. Frank Schilling won back in 2014. Over the last 7 years many new investors have come into the business.

Some investors might be perceived differently today than during the last poll, so here is the 2021 poll.

Sometimes people ask what is meant? Like so and so might not have made as much money but they lifted people up or they were a nicer human being.

This is who is the greatest domain investor of all time, the selling, sales attained, marketing and name selection skills should be what is considered.

Results of last poll

• Frank Schilling (31%, 77 Votes)
  • Yun Ye (17%, 43 Votes)
  • Rick Schwartz (11%, 27 Votes)
  • Mike Mann (6%, 14 Votes)
  • Anything.com (5%, 13 Votes)
  • Michael Berkens (5%, 12 Votes)
  • Castello Brothers (4%, 11 Votes)
  • George Kirikos (4%, 9 Votes)
  • Adam Dicker (4%, 9 Votes)
  • Igal Lichtman (Mrs.Jello) (3%, 8 Votes)
  • Chris Chena (3%, 7 Votes)
  • Thunayan Al-Ghanim (FMA) (3%, 7 Votes)
  • Scott Day (2%, 6 Votes)
  • Marc Ostrofsky (2%, 4 Votes)
  • Mike Zapolin (1%, 3 Votes)
  • Nat Cohen/Telepathy (0%, 2 Votes)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I had never heard of Yun Ye - done some reading and anyone who sells their portfolio for $164.2 million and then most of that portfolio (plus quite a few other domains) gets re sold for only $28.1 million a few years later is impressive....

Also add to the fact not much is/was known about him just adds to mystique.......gotta love it

He got my vote :xf.smile:

Last edited:
•••
I voted 'Other' as the Greatest Domain Investor of All Time is not on the list.

Bryon Allen turned a handful of .TV domains into a billion dollar media empire: ES.TV.

When I bought my first .TV domain, some 20 years ago, I recall Byron Allen, a comedian and former 1980's Real People TV show co-host, buying a few I had my eyes on -like Pets.TV, Cars.TV and a few others. Interested in what his plans were, and thinking the domains might drop, I visited the sites and read that he was starting his own media company.

For a few years there was nothing on the sites, but he was buying more .TV domains. Then video template scripts, with mostly YouTube content began to appear on some sites. Years later, original content took over. Now, the sites are mainly place holders telling visitors to 'Check Their Local TV Listings"... as he moved the channels to cable and broadcast TV.

Allen's wholly owned ES.TV recently bought the Weather Channel: $300MM & 7 TV stations: $380MM.

Byron Allen On Economic Inclusion

Last edited:
•••
The handfuls of reported names delude some domainers as big numbers few reported sales also influencing markets turning luck into stengthing portolio. I imagined some flip hundreds and realise not quite the case or not letting on to everything.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
•••
How about Hugedomains, and Godaddy. And maybe also other registrars who grab expired domains of their users. And registries.

•••
I agree with @topdom

Whoever created Hugedomains, is the greatest domain investor just by the sheer volume of the operation. I haven't seen the update on their portfolio size, but probably they are at 8 million domains by now and that could mean annual revenue around $200 million.

Then, like him or not, it is Mike Mann. The guy has created BuyDomains and DomainMarket. Those two combined have over 1 million domains and have serious annual turnover.

•••
Many say that the domain is a quantity game and then you will also hear with equal enthusiasm that it's all about the quality domain. Certainly, a Great Domain Investor should be a person who is good in both Quantity and Quality aspects and own and maintain a portfolio for a long time.

When I started domain in June 2020, the very first domain portfolio that impresses me was Mr Oxley's approx. 200 incredible collection of the single English dictionary word domain. His portfolio is one of the best and perfect mixes of quality and quantity which cost him more than US$25 million and more than 5 years of serious efforts. He was my favourite till I stumbled upon another exceptional domain portfolio.

While doing research I found one of the most secretive and low profile domain investor anything. com. They are in this business for more than 25 years but except for their domain broker, no one knows about them. They do not advertise about their domain, no visibility or exposure and as an investor maintain a low profile, I won't be surprised if many of you would be hearing about their name the first time here. In terms of quality, their portfolio is at par with Mr Oxley and the only difference is unlike Mr Oxley they own approx. 6000 domains. Yes, more than 30 times bigger portfolio and incredible collections of one and two English dictionary words. Some of the domain recently sold by them were Stars, Home, Teams, Snappy, Medicine etc. all in dot com mostly in seven and eight figures.

It seems and also reflected in current poll result that people here at NP are confused between investors & brokers and also got influenced by the personality of individuals than the real business. If the Great Domain Investor means only serious domain investment business like domain quality, quantity and long term profitability and not related with the social media exposure, outspoken, tech-savvy or king-size life of visible investor or individuals then no one can beat anything .com.

Thank you!

Last edited:
•••
many legends missing from this poll:
  • Slavik V.
  • AbdulBasit
  • Riz
  • Ali Z.
  • Steven
  • M. Krell
etc.

Last edited:
•••
Hello,

We've added some requested choices to the poll:
  • Braden Pollock
  • Jay Chapman (Digimedia)
  • Bob Parsons (GoDaddy)
  • Reberry Brothers (Andrew Reberry & Jeff Reberry of TurnCommerce, HugeDomains, etc.)
  • Castello Brothers (Michael Castello & David Castello) Already listed.
We hope @equity78 doesn't mind.

Voters can change their vote until the poll closes.

Last edited:
•••
Hello,

• Braden Pollock
  • Bob Parsons (GoDaddy)
  • Reberry Brothers (Andrew Reberry & Jeff Reberry of TurnCommerce, HugeDomains, etc.)
  • Castello Brothers (Michael Castello & David Castello)

Those are great additions, but I think Castello’s are now listed in two places

•••
I voted 'Other' as the Greatest Domain Investor of All Time is not on the list.

Bryon Allen turned a handful of .TV domains into a billion dollar media empire: ES.TV.

When I bought my first .TV domain, some 20 years ago, I recall Byron Allen, a comedian and former 1980's Real People TV show co-host, buying a few I had my eyes on -like Pets.TV, Cars.TV and a few others. Interested in what his plans were, and thinking the domains might drop, I visited the sites and read that he was starting his own media company.

For a few years there was nothing on the sites, but he was buying more .TV domains. Then video template scripts, with mostly YouTube content began to appear on some sites. Years later, original content took over. Now, the sites are mainly place holders telling visitors to 'Check Their Local TV Listings"... as he moved the channels to cable and broadcast TV.

Allen's wholly owned ES.TV recently bought the Weather Channel: $300MM & 7 TV stations: $380MM.

Byron Allen On Economic Inclusion

Good post Claude, yes and Namepros member @fleaking had Pets.tv taken from him in a deal that went to Byron.

•••
Hello,

• Braden Pollock
  • Bob Parsons (GoDaddy)
  • Castello Brothers (Michael Castello & David Castello)

Thank you

David and Michael Castello were already there now it's duped.

•••
It's interesting somebody said to me that only 5 dudes are ever going to get a decent number of votes, no matter what others have accomplished. There are a few comments on thedomains along those lines.

I think some don't consider companies as investors and others just like who they know. No one here knows Yun Ye but he is undoubtedly one of the greatest domain investors of all time and he has only 4 votes.

•••
•••
Nice to see Braden added.

Slavik V. and Michael Saylor deserve to be in any greatest conversation

Each probably well over 100 million in sales

Last edited:
•••
But see that's where the problem lies, Saylor Microstrategy made the sale of Voice.com and while he was a founder he is not the only founder.

We also use words like probably with no know documentation.

Rick and Frank, Mann, Ye, Berkens, Ham people know what they have done, and that's why Frank won last time and Rick will most likely win this time. Plus people believe Rick has helped other investors think about domain investing no one will ever say that about Saylor and many others.

•••
People believe Rick has helped other investors think about domain investing no one will ever say that about Saylor and many others.

Saylor did a nice interview with Andrew Rosener last year:

I think it's helpful.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Yup I Love Andrew Rosener and Braden Pollock style of business but personally I do not yet know them well.

@AbdulBasit.com has done a great job over the years and shared lots of stuff personally in namepros for us about his acquisition,sales and his style.

Where is Abdul Basit in the list?

I know him personally so my vote is for @AbdulBasit.com .

•••
Many say that the domain is a quantity game and then you will also hear with equal enthusiasm that it's all about the quality domain. Certainly, a Great Domain Investor should be a person who is good in both Quantity and Quality aspects and own and maintain a portfolio for a long time.

When I started domain in June 2020, the very first domain portfolio that impresses me was Mr Oxley's approx. 200 incredible collection of the single English dictionary word domain. His portfolio is one of the best and perfect mixes of quality and quantity which cost him more than US$25 million and more than 5 years of serious efforts. He was my favourite till I stumbled upon another exceptional domain portfolio.

While doing research I found one of the most secretive and low profile domain investor anything. com. They are in this business for more than 25 years but except for their domain broker, no one knows about them. They do not advertise about their domain, no visibility or exposure and as an investor maintain a low profile, I won't be surprised if many of you would be hearing about their name the first time here. In terms of quality, their portfolio is at par with Mr Oxley and the only difference is unlike Mr Oxley they own approx. 6000 domains. Yes, more than 30 times bigger portfolio and incredible collections of one and two English dictionary words. Some of the domain recently sold by them were Stars, Home, Teams, Snappy, Medicine etc. all in dot com mostly in seven and eight figures.

It seems and also reflected in current poll result that people here at NP are confused between investors & brokers and also got influenced by the personality of individuals than the real business. If the Great Domain Investor means only serious domain investment business like domain quality, quantity and long term profitability and not related with the social media exposure, outspoken, tech-savvy or king-size life of visible investor or individuals then no one can beat anything .com.

Thank you!
Eye opener!!! Where can I see all their domains? On their site they've just showcased a few.. till now I thought Oxley had the greatest portfolio.

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back