NameSilo

Who is the best registrar in the business? 2019 Edition

Labeled as poll in General Domain Discussion started by equity78, May 5, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

?

Who is the best registrar in the business?

This poll will close on Jun 5, 2019 at 9:27 PM.
  1. InternetBS

5 vote(s)
    0.6%
  2. Epik

43 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. Porkbun

25 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. NameCheap

77 vote(s)
    8.9%
  5. Name.com

21 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. Dynadot

164 vote(s)
    19.0%
  7. 101Domain

7 vote(s)
    0.8%
  8. DirectNic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. NameBright

14 vote(s)
    1.6%
  10. Fabulous

5 vote(s)
    0.6%
  11. Enom

6 vote(s)
    0.7%
  12. Dotster

1 vote(s)
    0.1%
  13. Domain.com

3 vote(s)
    0.3%
  14. Moniker

2 vote(s)
    0.2%
  15. NetworkSolutions

12 vote(s)
    1.4%
  16. Register.com

1 vote(s)
    0.1%
  17. Hover

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. 1&1

6 vote(s)
    0.7%
  19. GoDaddy

182 vote(s)
    21.0%
  20. Uniregistry

44 vote(s)
    5.1%
  21. Hexonet

5 vote(s)
    0.6%
  22. NameSilo

214 vote(s)
    24.7%
  23. Cloudflare

4 vote(s)
    0.5%
  24. Google

15 vote(s)
    1.7%
  25. Other

9 vote(s)
    1.0%
Total: 865 vote(s)
  1. Joe Styler

Joe Styler Aftermarket Product Manager GoDaddy Staff Afternic Staff PRO VIP

Those are the urls. We do have offices in China and a couple Chinese teams including Aftermarket representatives and Domain Brokers in Mainland China. We do not have a Chinese Mainland site but that does not prevent us from selling your domains to Chinese customers. We do that regularly and that was my point. They can read the site and communicate with native Chinese speakers when buying your domains. I know, I helped train some of them in the Aftermarket. :)

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. tonyk2000

tonyk2000 Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Maybe this is why I actually had a number of Afternic sales landed at Chinese registrars or godaddy (but with whois country shown as CN) ;)

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  3. topdom

topdom Established Member

I don't use Godaddy.
    Is listing with Afternic enough? Do we need to choose a BIN price, or fast transfer?

4. Aonom

Aonom New Member

Dynadot gets my vote. Moved over when they were new and never looked back.

5. Trent1000

Trent1000 Top Member VIP

Namesilo. If Dynadot wouldn't lock your marketplace sales into their account credit system, they could be the first choice.

6. Aonom

Aonom New Member

Agreed, that practice is annoying. It disinclines sellers from putting good names up on Dynadots marketplace.

7. Joe Styler

Joe Styler Aftermarket Product Manager GoDaddy Staff Afternic Staff PRO VIP

Yes Afternic will work because they list your domain on GoDaddy as well as Chinese registrars like HiChina and others. You do need a fast transfer to be listed in the most registrars in the network.

8. topdom

topdom Established Member

What exactly does this mean? I list a Dynadot domait at Dynadot's marketplace. And then what happens? What can't I do?

9. Aonom

Aonom New Member

It means Dynadot won't send you money when you sell a domain. Your money from a Dynadot marketplace sale will go into your account as credit, and you can only use it to renew or register domains through Dynadot. Basically, you can't do anything about that yourself, if you sell in their marketplace.

10. Trent1000

Trent1000 Top Member VIP

Well you can withdraw funds even to your paypal, but only if your Dynadot account credit balance is at least $500 or more.

11. Aonom

Aonom New Member

Good to know. I wish Dynadot made that more prominent when explaining the terms when you list on the market. I listed a few domains shortly after they added their marketplace, and it simply said added to account as credit. I just went to list a domain to see, and now they have more details and it appears payout is an option, but you have to make a request.

"The sale proceeds are credited to the seller's Dynadot account (minus a 5% Marketplace listing fee) after the processing period ends.

NOTE:

The processing period will take 5-20 days.
    The Marketplace listing fee is 5% of the listing price. There is no minimum listing fee at this time.
    The sale proceeds are credited as Dynadot account credit, but can be paid out on request."

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  12. Lakshan

Lakshan Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

NameCheap Support is supereb. No waiting time like most other registrars. And they will help any minute until the issue is resolved. Also support is avalble 24/7. Most registrars limit that to working hours and only few contact options available 24/7.

If i choose 2nd choise, I will choose Epik. There support is also great and Epik does have some nice features such as Parking Rotation, Performce tab, own marketplace for the domainer and so on.

13. Start

Start Established Member

Regarding Dynadot's payout though (discussed in posts above), you have to pay an additional 5% for that.

So then it's 5% for the Marketplace fee + 5% for the payout:
    https://www.dynadot.com/community/help/question/payout-policy

But if they could make it a flat 5%, they would be much more preferable.

Also, you might not have noticed the payout option earlier, because I think they only added it less than a year ago.

14. equity78

equity78 Top Member TLDInvestors.com TheDomains Staff PRO Gold Account VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

@Dynadot you really think that is a good policy?

15. maxjohan

maxjohan Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

I trust only big daddy and Enom. Realized that those I prefered in the past are like fast food registrars with cheap prices. But no one use them with highly valuable domain name. Like example Insurance.com = Godaddy
    X.com = Godaddy

16. abdou01

abdou01 Top Member VIP

1) Namesilo, 2) Dynadot for me :)

17. Tunababa8v

Tunababa8v Established Member

I am torn between Dynadot and Namesilo, both have great prices and good support but since I have to choose one, I voted for dynadot because their interface is wow. It makes transaction smooth and easy like ABC

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  18. wwwweb

wwwweb Top Member VIP

Wait did you just say enom?

19. Dynadot

Dynadot Member Dynadot Staff ICA Member VIP

20. equity78

equity78 Top Member TLDInvestors.com TheDomains Staff PRO Gold Account VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

21. Jurgen Wolf

Jurgen Wolf Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

22. mmmm27

mmmm27 Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

I vote for Dynadot,

they have good API that can be used for "dropcatching",
    they support a lot of cctlds and ngtlds,
    in recent months their backorder system became more competitive for catching .io,.me and other cctlds,
    they have very transparent grace deletion scheme,
    and they started to support money withdrawal to PayPal.

23. Keukatodd

Keukatodd Upgraded Member Gold Account

Dynadot for me! I actually feel like I matter when I work with them.
    1. Great control panel
    2. Aggressive pricing discounts for high volume transactions ( I spend quite a bit )
    3. Their personal touch and genuine care I feel when I work with them
    4. Ability to use fast transfer option when selling at 2 of the biggest marketplaces

24. stub

stub Top Member PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

That's a VERY restrictive policy. IMHO. How do you expect to compete on the world stage without a fully comprehensive payout for domain sales. Directly. This hardly does any justification to provide us with an incentive to use your platform for domain sales. You should NOT credit our account with receipts, unless we request it. Funds should be passed from the buyer to the seller, in whatever form we wish to use. This policy is the main downfall why your domain market is not growing like it should. You should bring this into the 2nd decade of the 21st Century. Somebody at Dynadot needs to wake up, and smell the roses.

25. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes formerly MetBob NameTalent VIP

I notice that (as of writing this) the 5 registrars obtaining the most votes all have an integrated domain marketplace. Do you think that is a key factor in why they have so many more votes than some of the other choices that do not? While I am not at all surprised that the top 5 are NameSilo, Dynadot, GoDaddy, Namecheap and Epik, as of now, their domination in the voting somewhat surprises me. Number 6 in voting Uniregistry also of course has a marketplace.
    Bob

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags: