NameSilo

Who is the best registrar in the business? 2019 Edition

Labeled as poll in General Domain Discussion started by equity78, May 5, 2019.

Replies:
Views:

?

Who is the best registrar in the business?

This poll will close on Jun 5, 2019 at 9:27 PM.
  1. InternetBS

5 vote(s)
    0.6%
  2. Epik

43 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. Porkbun

25 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. NameCheap

77 vote(s)
    8.9%
  5. Name.com

21 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. Dynadot

164 vote(s)
    19.0%
  7. 101Domain

7 vote(s)
    0.8%
  8. DirectNic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. NameBright

14 vote(s)
    1.6%
  10. Fabulous

5 vote(s)
    0.6%
  11. Enom

6 vote(s)
    0.7%
  12. Dotster

1 vote(s)
    0.1%
  13. Domain.com

3 vote(s)
    0.3%
  14. Moniker

2 vote(s)
    0.2%
  15. NetworkSolutions

12 vote(s)
    1.4%
  16. Register.com

1 vote(s)
    0.1%
  17. Hover

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. 1&1

6 vote(s)
    0.7%
  19. GoDaddy

182 vote(s)
    21.0%
  20. Uniregistry

44 vote(s)
    5.1%
  21. Hexonet

5 vote(s)
    0.6%
  22. NameSilo

214 vote(s)
    24.7%
  23. Cloudflare

4 vote(s)
    0.5%
  24. Google

15 vote(s)
    1.7%
  25. Other

9 vote(s)
    1.0%
Total: 865 vote(s)
  1. tonyk2000

tonyk2000 Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

GoDaddy has something to think about, and seriously... Comparing with the previous poll, they moved from the 1st place with almost 30% of votes to 3rd place with 13% of votes so far.

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. tonyk2000

The poll is not closed yet, but the patterns are clear. So, any abnormal change in results will be noted. It appears that there is nothing preventing registrar representatives from voting in the poll, and not necessary for the registrar they represent... why not, the poll is open to all NP members. This may cause issues only with Uniregistry I think, as there are too many Uni employees registered @ NP (nobody actively participates though).

3. ET76

ET76 FancyDN.com VIP

Voted for Namesilo

4. Mister Funsky

Mister Funsky Top Member VIP

Well, without a list of the members and who they voted for available for us to see. this is not anywhere near scientific so any patterns/abnormalities would be speculative at best.

It is more meaningful for me to read the comments by each person/member who responds in the thread (not just ticking a box) as that is where the real insights are.

5. Jurgen Wolf

Jurgen Wolf Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Just addition to the previous question...

Autorenewal can be disabled directly in their panel.
    If you want to disable it for many domains - use contract.ionos.com

If any billing mistakes in their invoices (rarely, but sometimes it happens) - email to billing OR solutions (their higher level of support, Mon-Fri) AT ionos.com - and this will be corrected (credited/refunded).
    Or use their callback service.

6. Lewstar

Lewstar Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

I just received an e-mail from Ionos, announcing a whole new look/rebranding. Here is a small portion:

“With the season underway, we'd just like to stop and say thank you for the support that we've received during the rebranding.

Are you as excited as we are for what the future has in store?

Stay tuned in the coming weeks, as we'll be launching a series of new offers and content designed exclusively with you in mind. There might just be something in it for you as well.”

All, obviously, was not right at Ionos! (And this is the first l’ve heard about the renovation, from the company or from anywhere else.)

7. Jurgen Wolf

1and1 Ionos is not focused on domainers at all...
    Their primary targets - endusers... and webhosting.
    That's why Bulk mode is in development for many years...
    But even 1and1 has very necessary feature for all domainers: EXPORT with AUTH codes.
    Instead many classic registrars in this poll don't offer such export.

8. pjb1978

pjb1978 Established Member

Would have given Uniregistry my vote until they ended their partnership with Topcoin.

9. BrandZen

BrandZen BrandZen.com PRO Gold Account VIP

10. tonyk2000

I voted for NameSilo (from domainers point of view), however for an enduser I'd also recommend Hover. A serious company (Tucows retail arm), easy control panel, good support, no upsales, extra addons like email/privacy etc...

11. MapleDots

MapleDots Domain Properties 2010 - 2019 VIP

Regardless of what we think or the outcome of the poll, godaddy wins because we know convenience is a huge factor. The previous poll godaddy did win but in the end it is real life that matters and I cannot see anyone catching godaddy.

Believe me I resisted them a long time but when I trade, buy or sell domains the convenience factor is big for me. Even my latest domain purchase from HugeDomains went through godaddy, I bought through them because it was more convenient.

So it does not matter how we take the poll godaddy has won in real life and that says a lot. We like to complain about them but in the end they get the job done with the least amount of effort.

12. .X.

.X. NameFeature.com Gold Account VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

NameSilo, ease of use, continuous low pricing , great customer service

13. damance

damance Top Member VIP

14. tonyk2000

I'd add: wins (not necessary in this particular poll) also because of TV commercials, superbowl ads and the like which were run by Bob Parsons - but are still remembered

15. MapleDots

MapleDots Domain Properties 2010 - 2019 VIP

Very true

GoDaddy is the biggest registrar and I predict we will yet see some more buyouts with them getting even bigger. That's not necessarily better because more competition keeps prices down but I have a feeling that godaddy will swallow up a number of auction sites and marketplaces and if there are any registrars attached to them they will become a casualty as well.

Personally I would love to see google do a bit more but right now there prices are a bit steep for me.

16. TCK

TCK NameOptions.com ★★★★★★★★★★

I am very surprised that NameSilo is getting so many votes. Their site is very aged. And the com reg price, while cheap, is not the best out there.

17. tonyk2000

In March, Murdoch’s News Corp. Australia asked to break up Google due to its 'overwhelming' power:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...p-asks-australia-regulator-for-google-breakup

It is in Australia, so, too far from U.S... But what if the same happens to GoDaddy earlier or later. Sometimes, becoming _too big_ is dangerous.

18. stub

stub Top Member PRO VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

That's not been my experience with NameSilo. You can approve the transfers away in the Transfer Manager. It can take as much as a couple of hours before the transfers appear there. But they often can be transferred away much sooner than that.

What NetSol email do you need to approve the transfer away. I don't see any email which permits the approval of the domain away. A while ago, if you clicked on the "If you don't want to transfer email", it immediately stopped the transfer, and you had to restart it. Does that now have an option to now approve the transfer. (I'm reluctant to simply try it without confirmation because of my bad experiences).

19. stub

Their old website was from the 20th century. Their new website looks like it's from the early 21st Century. I don't think they did much research before designing/employing it. It looks like a typical in-house programming job. They should have contracted it out (but it would probably be more expensive that way). If I were to copy a registrar's design today. I think I would choose Uniregistry. I'd definitely consider to contract it out.

20. stub

Once bitten, twice shy. I don't think I will ever even try 1and1 again. Despite your ringing praises. Which I believe sincerely.

21. tonyk2000

Maybe because of this, among other things. Yes, there are a lot of modern-looking alternatives who just "bootstraped" everything, fast and easy. Twitter bootstrap is very powerful. So, such "modern" bootstraped registrars all look like... two peas in a pod.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  22. Jurgen Wolf

I don't invite you to Ionos...
    From my observation, the less domainers use 1and1 - the longer their promo offers (reg/transfer) are active.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  23. stub

Their's nothing wrong with bootstrap, in my book. It's the non-bootstrapped websites which have a hard time convincing me they are "modern" (pleasing and easy to use). Dynadot and Uniregistry don't look like cookie-cutter websites to me.

24. briguy

briguy Guru In Remission! VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

The advantages for me with first two registrar is the Canadian/American exchange rate..I am saving big money by paying with Canadian currency.

But love vice versa, getting paid in US dollars.

1 Canadian dollar = 74 cents US
    1 US dollar = $1.34 Canadian (as of this posting)

Business is Busine$$

25. tonyk2000

Indeed, if used correctly and as a part of well-maintained project. Uniregistry, for example (last time I checked), didn't even bother to rename or to optimize various background images they were playing on the first page (Anchors, Mountains, etc) - all were exactly originals they purchased from image banks.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags: