IT.COM

poll Who is the best registrar in the business? 2019 Edition

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Who is the best registrar in the business?

• 1st

NameSilo

votes
    24.4%
  • 2nd

GoDaddy

votes
    21.0%
  • 3rd

Dynadot

votes
    18.5%
  • 4th

NameCheap

votes
    8.9%
  • 5th

Epik

votes
    5.9%
  • 6th

Uniregistry

votes
    4.9%
  • 7th

Porkbun

votes
    2.8%
  • 8th

Name.com

votes
    2.3%
  • 9th

Google

votes
    1.9%
  • 10th (tie)

NameBright

votes
    1.5%
  • 10th (tie)

Other

votes
    1.5%
  • 11th

NetworkSolutions

votes
    1.3%
  • 12th (tie)

101Domain

votes
    0.8%
  • 12th (tie)

1&1

votes
    0.8%
  • 13th (tie)

InternetBS

votes
    0.7%
  • 13th (tie)

Enom

votes
    0.7%
  • 14th (tie)

Fabulous

votes
    0.5%
  • 14th (tie)

Hexonet

votes
    0.5%
  • 15th

Cloudflare

votes
    0.4%
  • 16th

Domain.com

votes
    0.3%
  • 17th

Moniker

votes
    0.2%
  • 18th (tie)

Dotster

vote
    0.1%
  • 18th (tie)

Register.com

vote
    0.1%
  • 19th (tie)

DirectNic

votes
    0.0%
  • 19th (tie)

Hover

votes
    0.0%

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Screenshot_2019-05-04 Who is the best registrar in the business (1).png

It's been over 18 months since the last big poll here. So let's take a new poll on best registrar. GoDaddy won the last two, the last one was closer with @namesilo coming in second, 253 votes vs 191 or 29.8% vs 22.5%. The previous big poll saw GoDaddy run away with it 303 votes or 52%.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I thought it would be also interesting for members to post (if you like) how many registrars listed in the poll do you have, or have had an account with. For me 16 out of 24.

I currently have names at six of the registrars. If you participate in NameJet auctions, it is impossible to avoid eNom and Network Solutions, but I also move them away from there as soon as possible.

•••
I've used every registrar on the list at least once. Except PorkBun, CloudFlare, Google.

•••
how many registrars listed in the poll do you have, or have had an account with. For me 16 out of 24.
For me currently 8 of the 24 (Dynadot, Epik, GoDaddy, Moniker, Namecheap, Name.com, NameSilo, Porkbun) but I also use extensively DomainCostClub that I wish was in the poll. In addition I have a few domains at Gandi, PDR and 3 different Canadian registrars not on list. I plan to set up Hexonet account imminently, but none there now Thanks for poll and thread.
Bob

Last edited:
•••
what is porkbun?
They have a clever answer to that here which I wanted to share.

"Porkbun
Porkbun lived on a farm before becoming our Master of Oinks and overall doer of awesomeness. It was a happy life, but boring. She was a dreamer. All the other pigs were content to root for truffles in the mud, but not Porkbun. She wanted to travel the world, see the sights, have adventures and start her own business. The other animals made fun of her and called her a silly little pig, but she didn’t listen. She packed up her stuff and moved to the city. She never did start that business though. Instead, she took over ours!
When not knee deep in the day to day of running the best domain name registrar in the Orion Arm of the Milky Way; Porkbun loves to spend her free time sipping fine wine, racing monster trucks, and reproducing early American pioneer era patchwork quilts."

Being serious with your point though, I realized the same people who ran Porkbun also run Top Level Design (registry for .ink and .design and .wiki I think) but Top Level Design is a separate company I think, or not? Of course a number of other registrars have had close links through ownership and agreements with one or more registries. One can probably see both advantages and possible disadvantages for the domainer.

Bob

•••
An old post of mine, re-edited to add .net and .org.

Basically, GoDaddy is cheaper than Uniregistry, by a lot.

GoDaddy beats namesilo on some. Namesilo beats GoDaddy on some.

Namesilo's 1 domain vs 5000 domain pricing are almost the same (almost always a $0.60 difference). Furthermore they're almost the same as GoDaddy's discount club. Which means they are the cheapest possible.
This tells me Namesilo is not making a lot of money on domain registrations, renewals, transfers, and certainly not privacy... Plus, they offer dirt cheap first time registrations (they lose money).
They are obviously trying to acquire customers and I hope for ya'll that they never raise prices once the boat is full.

Then I checked Namecheap, as their boat is already full, to see if they had same cheap pricing structure as Namesilo.

Namecheap has a discount when you register for multiple years, but it is a small and not available on 95% of gtlds so I did not include it.

Example
.com 1 year $12.98, 5 years $12.58
.world 1 year $26.99 - 5 years $26.48
Namecheap is far more expensive than Namesilo.

From my point of view, what Namesilo appears to be doing is suicide. I don't think they can keep these prices for ever.

Godaddy domain transfer - $14.99 standard - $8.29 discount club
Namesilo domain transfer - $8.39
Uniregistry domain transfer - $10.88
Namecheap domain transfer - $9.69

.com
GoDaddy Standard $14.99 - Discount $8.29
Namesilo Standard $8.99 - Discount $8.39
Uniregistry $10.88
Namecheap $12.98 1 year - $12.58 5 years

.net
GoDaddy Standard $19.99 - Discount $10.99
Namesilo Standard $11.79 - Discount $11.19
Uniregistry $14.88
Namecheap $12.98 - $12.58 5 years

.org
GoDaddy Standard $20
.99 - Discount $11.99
Namesilo Standard $10.79 - Dsicount $10.19
Uniregistry $14.88
Namecheap $12.98

.company
GoDaddy Standard $9.99 - Discount club $5.99
Namesilo Standard $6.99 - Discount $6.39
Uniregistry $9.88
Namecheap $18.88

.world

GoDaddy Standard $39.99 - Discount club $23.99
Namesilo Standard $23.99 - Discount $23.39
Uniregistry $29.88
Namecheap 26.88

.xyz
GoDaddy Standard $14.99 - Discount club $8.99
Namesilo Standard $9.29 - Discount $8.69
Uniregistry $12.88
Namecheap $12.88

Last edited:
•••
Namecheap has a discount when you register for multiple years, but it is a small and not available on 95% of gtlds so I did not include it
I did not realize it - thanks for the tip!

Thanks for the information - nice to have it all in one place (even while recognizing that someone has some sort of promotion most of the time). Especially nice to have the GD Discount Club numbers.

Using the same TLD order as you gave, here are the Domain Cost Club numbers (I included the 0.18 ICANN, which their online prices do not show, since I presume your figures have that in?). Note that you do need to pay an annual membership though, and also a cost to get your funds in most ways (5% by credit card or PayPal). These are renew prices (first year less on the new gTLDs) - can see their list here.
  • com $8.03
  • net $9.95
  • org $10.01
  • company $5.18
  • world $20.18
  • xyz $8.18
Can compare prices for any extension using TLD-list or DomComp.

Of course many aspects go into 'best' beyond lowest price, as various people discussed earlier in thread.

Thanks again,

Bob

Disclosure: I have no association with DCC other than as a customer (and well affiliate program but no affiliate links in above).

Last edited:
•••
For medium and large portfolios...
You can discuss the individual prices with internetx.com (PSI-USA) and RRPproxy.net (Key-Systems).

•••
Namesilo appears to be doing is suicide. I don't think they can keep these prices for ever

Earlier ot later NameSilo should start offering 2 types of accounts - current one with a bunch of professional tools and bulk pricing, and a new simplified one (for endusers) with retail pricing. Would be natural at least because many endusers are likely lost with all the fine tools they see now.

•••
GoDaddy’s surprisingly slow, probably because I’m not based in the US or whatever the reason. Over the years Dynadot has opened its doors to international TLDs at a very good price incl. grace renewals and I have moved all my domains to them, I remember almost losing a client’s international TLD a while back with Moniker when they deactivated the domain name 1 whole month before its expiration date. Dynadot is the best for me, they have never let me down. I think I’ve been with them now for over 12 years. They have certainly come a long way.

Last edited:
•••
With 10 voting days left GoDaddy cuts the lead to 34 votes.

•••
Is the poll now closed? I can't change my vote. Not that I want too :)

•••
NameCheap edges it over Namesilo for me due to UI/support/transfers etc, only negative is they aren't on the Afternic/Sedo premium networks

•••
Is the poll now closed? I can't change my vote. Not that I want too :)
The poll closes on Jun 5, 2019 at 9:27 PM UTC. Votes can't be changed while polls are visible on the sidebar, but this poll isn't on the sidebar anymore.

You can change your vote until the poll closes.

We hope that helps.

•••
The poll closes on Jun 5, 2019 at 9:27 PM UTC. Votes can't be changed while polls are visible on the sidebar, but this poll isn't on the sidebar anymore.

You can change your vote until the poll closes.

We hope that helps.

Ok. I can see the Change your Vote button now. It was missing, when I posted my question. So I though if it was missing for me. It was probably missing for everyone else. I was aware of the deadline for voting. Thank you.

•••
•••
•••
That's just a list written by some clueless dude. I've noticed he only writes this type of stuff ... best VPN host, best green crap, best whatever...

Perhaps you should point the poor fellow to this thread for a little education, his top choice only got 3 votes here so far... and they never heard of NS?

Agree he seems to like Domain.com, he seems to think them charging for privacy is reasonable but GoDaddy it's a problem. A little biased in my opinion.

•••
Last edited:
•••
This poll is strictly among domainers...
Poll for endusers will show absolutely another results...

•••
This poll is strictly among domainers...
Poll for endusers will show absolutely another results...

I get that. But the Tech Radar report is not a poll of what the end-users think. If it was up to end-users, GoDaddy would win this contest by a country mile. Because they don't know any better (like us domainers do) :)

Last edited:
•••
Domain.com should not even be on this list. Every registrar listed below them is better than them.

After reading this again. It appears it could mean either the NP's list or the Tech Radar list. Just to be clear. I mean Domain.com should not even be on this (Tech Radar) list. The list is totally discredited. IMHO. What do you expect from a review website on the web. They should have contracted NP's to run this poll, instead :)

Last edited:
•••
What do you expect from a review website on the web.
Domain.com affiliate program pays "30% for domains/privacy, $100 for Website Builder accounts, and up to $110 for web hosting accounts". It appears it is real reason why this registrar won the 1st place, and why
Domain.com, he seems to think them charging for privacy is reasonable
For the record, Techradar itself is not using domain.com, they are using small UK-based lexsynergy.com registrar

Last edited:
•••
•••
@equity78 - If it's possible. I would like to see the numbers of domains under registration for each registrar alongside these results when you publish these results. Maybe even sortable lists?

Last edited:
•••
I voted Epik this time and I have a good reason for doing so.

Recently, I was in the midst of a negotiation where a domain exchange was part of the overall deal. I asked the question here at Namepros if there was a type of Escrow that could safely facilitate this exchange. I was immediately contacted by @Rob Monster who is CEO of Epik. He explained that Epik offered this service and how it can be done.

I was happy to hear that Epik provided the pure exchange part of this service for free and furthermore it was seamless with no issues encountered. The exchange was done in a few hours. What made it better was that the CEO was hands on with overseeing it which gave me comfort.

I don't know if other registrars also offer this service, but even if they did, I would go back to Epik and Rob for further exchanges as the service was great.

thanks,

CK.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back