IT.COM

discuss Who decide whether a domain is premium or not?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I have had some domains before that I let expired as I no longer need them. At least 3 are now labelled "premium" and cost around $500 to $6000 to register. The domains are available to register but I doubt someone would take these domains as these are highly localized and not many people here in the Philippines would pay such amount for a domain.

Who decides to make a domain premium? One of the domains which no one registered before aside from me is now premium and I found it a joke. Any thought is highly appreciated.

Thanks

PS: Three months ago, I purchased a "premium domain" appraised for $9,000 for just $300.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Either your wife or your girlfriend.

•••
•••
The registries decide. They figured "why should we earn money from domainers with their regs and renewals when we can be the domainers and sell to end users?"

•••
•••
I think he's just asking about registry premium domains and their high reg fees.

•••
Namepros.
Start here auction, if domain successful sold so it's premium otherwise not premium :xf.eek:

•••
I have had some domains before that I let expired as I no longer need them. At least 3 are now labelled "premium" and cost around $500 to $6000 to register.

Who decides to make a domain premium? One of the domains which no one registered before aside from me is now premium and I found it a joke.
What extensions were they?

If they were those newer ones, then yes as Antares mentioned, it is the registries whom are to blame for this tactic of "premiumizing" domains. More commonly done nowadays if you decide to let a domain drop, rather then them doing it while the domain is under active ownership. Although have had the latter happen to me as well.

•••
In GoDaddy, if you own a domain there and put a price (high), GoDaddy will label it premium. But we never know who is behind it. It could be individual, company, or a division/team in the registrar (which I do not know if this legal under ICANN regulations).

•••
GMA (dot) TV is not marked as premium although it has over 1 million monthly searches.

So the word premium listing can be safely ignored IMO.

•••
It's me.. LOL.
Send me 50 bucks to make your domains premium. 100 bucks for ultra premium.

•••
It's me.. LOL.
Send me 50 bucks to make your domains premium. 100 bucks for ultra premium.

Thanks..
Do your provide a proper certificate or something ?
If I want to go for say 50 domains, would you provide a discount ?:xf.smile:

•••
*** BE VERY CAREFUL ***

"Premium" is the most overused and MEANINGLESS word in the entire domain industry!

For GoDaddy, all it means is that somebody (literally anybody) has listed the domain for sale (almost any domain). That's it, no other requirements other than TLD.

More importantly, when I say "almost any domain", there is NO HUMAN who makes any decision if the domain is actually premium or not, it's just a super simple algorithm that excludes certain TLDs.

So effectively at GoDaddy, "expired domains" will never be "Premium", even if it's a 2L .com or an ultra amazing domain like Big.com

The word "premium" has ZERO relevance as to the actual quality of the domain.

Note that it's not just GoDaddy .. go into the forums here .. you'll see people using the word "premium" to describe absolute garbage domains that would never sell for $1 even at retail!

That being said .. the fact GoDaddy labels all aftermarket domains as "premium" is probably a good thing for domainers overall. Because while there certainly are far more garbage "premium" domain than there are good ones, at least it gives us a bit of a "perceived" advantage over expired domains and basic hand-registrations.

More importantly, it would be absolutely impossible for them to give the label accurately. I'll definitely give them credit that their valuation system has gotten significantly better since they introduced it .. But like EVERY automated valuation tool, it's not at all reliable on an individual domain basis.

Your best bet would be to let @Joe Styler or @Paul Nicks confirm what I actually said and to possibly give you the exact specifics.

•••
Thanks..
Do your provide a proper certificate or something ?
If I want to go for say 50 domains, would you provide a discount ?:xf.smile:
I'm just kidding. Anyone can use premium, super premium, ultra premium for their crap domains.

I don't focus on premium, or something. For me, sales are matter!

•••
•••
We forget that the planet has hundreds of languages. And a .com domain costing nothing in one country can cost thousands if not millions in another country. Because that word in that language means bank, sex, car, house, phone, news, or else...

•••
Everyone that sells a domain says it is a Premium Domain.. Which should automatically tell you its not

•••
I am here you may anoint my feet.

•••
"Premium" has 2 major uses in the domain world.

1.) Premium can be used as an adjective to describe domain quality. In that sense the term is highly subjective.

I think most people would agree Homes.com is a premium domain. Others would think HomesForSale.com is a premium domain, others would think DenverHomes.com is a premium domain, and even others would think that WeSellsHome2Day.net was a premium domain. :)

2.) The other use is used by a registry/registrar to indicate a domain costing above standard registration/renewal fee. It really has nothing to with the actual quality of the domain.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back